Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

15 Posts

November 28th, 2021 19:00

Aurora R13, auto restart when playing WOW

Hi all,

Can somebody there help me to identify what the issue is here? It's very disappointing that whenever I play World of Warcraft (WOW) with this brand new Alienware PC, Windows 11 get auto restarted sometimes after a few minutes and sometimes after 1 hour or less.

I have tried everything without touching the hardware, including the following:

1. Run the post-boot diagnosis (F12 -> Diagnosis). It shows no error with any of the hardware.

2. Run the online System Diagnosis on Dell website. It shows no error with the hardware.

3. I used to apply "High Performance" Power option plan in Windows 11. Windows restarted in a few minutes after running WOW. I changed the "Minimum Processor State" to 5% in the power plan. Windows restarted after 1 hour of gameplay. But when I continue to run WOW, Windows will restart by itself after a few minutes.

4. Disable the "Automatically Restart" feature in Advanced System Properties -> Startup Recovery settings. After playing WOW for a few minutes, it goes to a blank screen but the system does not restart.

5. In Windows Event viewer under System log, Event 41 was generated every time it restarted unexpectedly. The event does not tell any specific reason that causes the restart. But the source of the event indicates it's from "Kernel-Power", which means it might be caused by power issue. The issue might be related to any components such as  PSU, CPU, display card, motherboard, etc.

6. Updated BIOS to the latest version 1.0.2. Still the same issue.

7. Install the latest display driver from Nvidia official website. My display card is GeForce 3080. Apply all Windows Update. Same issue occurred.

8. Reset Windows back to the factory default state, by running Support OS Recovery tool. I have tried this several times already, and only install WOW after Windows has been setup. Update the latest display driver and Windows Update.

What should I do next? Contact Dell Technical Support and they will replace the hardware one by one to isolate the issue? This is very time consuming. Any clue?

Best Regards,

Henry Chang

December 7th, 2021 22:00

My R13 was doing this as well.. I was able to resolve the issue.. When I diagnosed my BSOD error using bluescreenview it was the NVIDIA kernal driver that was causing the bluescreen along with a direct X driver .. If you look further into the bluescreen it says that it is the TDR delay that is causing the issue.. If your graphics card stops responding inside a game for a period of 10 seconds by default the card will attempt to reset itself.. if it is unable to in a specified time period it will cause a BSOD and restart the computer..  

HERE IS HOW I FIXED MY R13

https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/gpu-drivers-crash-with-long-computations-tdr-crash-128745489.html

let me know If it helps!!

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

February 1st, 2022 06:00

The New BIOS fix this issue:

BIOS Version 1.0.10 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

November 28th, 2021 19:00

maybe ram instability issue.  read this thread with 117 comments to glean some thoughts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/qp1v8e/windows_11_alder_lake_build_keeps_bsod_constant/

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

November 28th, 2021 20:00

Restart issues can most definitely be caused by a faulty PSU. You should contact Dell support. Have you checked to see what your temps are? I would install HWMonitor just to get an idea if temps are a little too high.

November 28th, 2021 20:00

Try checking your RAM settings.  I have experienced the same problem with other games.  Turned out to be my OC settings for the RAM.  If that's the only game giving you grief, I wouldn't sweat it.  Is your RAM in an OC setting?  Try disabling for a bit.  If the issue doesn't happen again, it is a timing issue with your RAM.  It's a fairly common issue.

15 Posts

November 28th, 2021 22:00

I don't have any OC settings applied. I just use the factory default settings (with upgrading the BIOS and Windows Update and display driver). I've got 2x32GB memory and will try swapping the memory into the slots and reseating them and see if the issue still persists.

15 Posts

November 28th, 2021 22:00

I have downloaded other third party temperature monitoring tool and it seems the temperature is fine. I have contacted local Dell support and they suggest to replace the motherboard. It seems that it may have to replace every bit of the components (PSU, motherboard, memory, display card, etc.) in order to identify and isolate the issue?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2021 01:00

@Hensome 

If you have a spare GPU you could try this to see if the display behaves better.

If the GPU hardware is not the problem it could simply be the graphics driver needs to be reverted to an older version. GeForce 496.76 (Released 11/16/21)

I would also make sure that directx June 2010 is installed as well as visual C++ X86 2010.

Before you start - Make sure you Submit Feedback for your Nvidia Driver Issue

There is only one real way for any of these problems to get solved, and that’s if the Driver Team at Nvidia knows what those problems are. So in order for them to know what’s going on it would be good for any users who are having problems with the drivers to Submit Feedback to Nvidia. A guide to the information that is needed to submit feedback can be found here.

Additionally, if you see someone having the same issue you are having in this thread, reply and mention you are having the same issue. The more people that are affected by a particular bug, the higher the priority that bug will receive from NVIDIA!!

Common Troubleshooting Steps

• If you are having issue installing the driver for GTX 1080/1070/1060 on Windows 10, make sure you are on the latest build for May 2019 Update (Version 1903). If you are on the older version/build (e.g. Version 1507/Build 10240), you need to update your windows. Press Windows Key + R and type winver to check your build version.

• Please visit the following link for DDU guide which contains full detailed information on how to do Fresh Driver Install.

• If your driver still crashes after DDU reinstall, try going to Go to Nvidia Control Panel -> Managed 3D Settings -> Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance

If it still crashes, we have a few other troubleshooting steps but this is fairly involved and you should not do it if you do not feel comfortable. Proceed below at your own risk:

• A lot of driver crashing is caused by Windows TDR issue. There is a huge post on GeForce forum about this here. This post dated back to 2009 (Thanks Microsoft) and it can affect both Nvidia and AMD cards.

• Unfortunately this issue can be caused by many different things so it’s difficult to pin down. However, editing the windows registry might solve the problem.

• Additionally, there is also a tool made by Wagnard (maker of DDU) that can be used to change this TDR value. Download here. Note that I have not personally tested this tool.

If you are still having issue at this point, visit GeForce Forum for support

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 29th, 2021 03:00

Download a small free program called GPU-Z, and click on the Sensors tab.

Then post back with the following data after the game has been running for 15 minutes:

- GPU temperature

- Hot Spot

- Memory Temperature

15 Posts

November 29th, 2021 04:00

Hi Vanadiel, thank you for your suggestion. I'm not able to find a button for attachment. So I copied and pasted some of the results here. I started the game at 20:22 and the system auto restarted at 20:37. There is no increase of temperature found. See below.

Date , GPU Temperature [°C] , Hot Spot [°C] , Memory Temperature [°C] ,

2021-11-29 20:22:27 , 41.8 , 51.9 , 46.0 ,

2021-11-29 20:22:28 , 41.7 , 51.8 , 46.0 ,

2021-11-29 20:22:29 , 41.9 , 51.8 , 46.0 ,

2021-11-29 20:37:18 , 36.6 , 46.5 , 46.0 ,

2021-11-29 20:37:19 , 36.5 , 46.6 , 46.0 ,

2021-11-29 20:37:20 , 36.6 , 46.6 , 44.0 ,

15 Posts

November 29th, 2021 05:00

Thanks for providing suggestion here. I have just submitted the feedback form to Nvidia with all the details I got. Hope this issue is related to display driver and they will get this addressed soon.

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

November 29th, 2021 07:00

Those temps look great. In fact it validates Dell's claim that the new machines run much cooler than the last generation.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 29th, 2021 08:00

Those are almost abnormally low for air cooling.

I wonder if it's drawing the proper power. If it's a PSU issue that could be an indication of it.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 29th, 2021 11:00

Yes, but the video card is still air cooled. Those are pretty good temperatures for air cooled video card with a 320 Watt TDP.

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

November 29th, 2021 11:00

The only option for the R13 series is Liquid Cooling or the Cryo-Tech upgrade. It's been awhile since LC was offered on video cards from Alienware.

No Events found!