Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

21 Posts

January 23rd, 2022 08:00

Aurora R13, two cooling options explained?

What is the difference between the two Liquid cooling options on the Aurora R13?

Is the Cryo-Tech Edition CPU Liquid Cooling option just an RGB upgrade of the Liquid Cooled CPU?

If there is a difference between them, where is the data demonstrating the differences in cooling efficiencies? 

Thanks, 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 23rd, 2022 09:00

This is from the product page:

COOL UNDER PRESSURE WITH CRYO-TECH™

Next-level liquid cooling:Cryo-Tech™ delivers exactly what serious gamers crave: superior thermal performance. If that weren’t enough, when you opt for Cryo-Tech™, you’re on the receiving end of exclusive lighting features—giving you the best-looking high performance gaming experience on the market.

Superior specs:As the next step in the evolution of cooling, Cryo-Tech™ offers gamers significant thermal advantages. It features a 120x120x30mm heat exchanger and a pump that operates at 2800 RPM. The heat exchanger is 11% larger than what’s available on our standard liquid cooling unit, while the pump’s duty cycle is 6% higher, also compared to standard liquid cooling.

Stylish aesthetics:To play your best, you also have to look your best. It’s why Cryo-Tech™ sports an AlienFX-enabled CPU cap with a customizable Alien head and hexagon outline.

21 Posts

January 23rd, 2022 12:00

Thanks for the additional information but is there any test data demonstrating any actual increase in cooling abilities?  A small increase in duty cycle or MTBF does not equate to better cooling. The 11% increase in size may but data is needed. I do not require RGB or a clear side panel but would pay extra for a better cooling system. Thanks again.

509 Posts

January 23rd, 2022 14:00

Put it this way, They are both a 120 rad cooler and AlderLake runs hot. Go with the thicker size 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 23rd, 2022 15:00

Nobody has independently tested these that I am aware off.

Typically a larger rad will help with cooling capacity, but again, there's no testing data.

They are both 120 mm AIO, so I would not expect the same performance as a retail 240 mm AIO. In my opinion this generation of CPU's needs a 240 AIO with the upper end a 360 AIO.

160 Posts

February 11th, 2022 03:00

I agree with Vanadiel - Alder Lake is a beefy CPU, so a 240mm cooler will be better. However, installing a piece of equipment not part of the original spec may void your warranty, unless you do it on call with Dell Support...

I would further recommend the Hardware team develop a 240mm SKU for the Parts & Upgrades section, to replace the current Cryo-tech edition.

436 Posts

February 11th, 2022 06:00

Using the beefier cryotech option with it being 120mm, is really good in every day normal use.  i.e. no synthetic testing.  I'm going to re-paste it with some Arctic Silver and see if the temps are even better.

No Events found!