Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2023 11:00

Aurora R13, unstable FPS issue

Alienware Aurora R13

Alienware Aurora R13

Hello,

I recently got this Aurora R13 as a gift, and as it was an expensive one I expect it to be somewhat flawless. But I have been having a big issue on all my games where the fps is completely unstable. It runs at high fps on the maximum settings of pretty much all my games, but the fps is inconsistent and will go from 144-120-144-100-144-130-90-144. I limited the FPS to 144 as there is no need for it to be higher than my monitors Hz's and even when I turn all the settings down the drops always occur. I'm under the impression this isn't supposed to be happening as my previous Aurora R8 was perfectly stable. This is really annoying as the sudden and rather large drops happen all the time, not every now and then. This is extremely noticeable and annoying especially as this rig was almost £3k. I've ran antimalware things and done some stuff to try and fix it but the problem still persists. I can confirm its not the GPU hardware as this has been replaced and the problem continued on the new one.

I can read out my system specs if anyone needs them.

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

February 4th, 2023 13:00

Okay guys, I turned off Alienware Command Centres overclock and then CLOSED the app, and this almost entirely got rid of the instabilities in the FPS, I tested opening the app and playing with it open and the instabilities came back and after closing it they disappeared, but I didn't think I always have the app open whilst playing games and it only makes large instabilities on CPU heavy games so perhaps, with everyone's help here, changing some of the settings on my PC also effected it, but it is entirely possible I'm completely and utterly stupid (which I am). So I'll test the PC for a few days and hopefully will not have to come back here. I greatly appreciate the help I've been given here and I thank you all for you time, and am also very sorry for wasting your time. Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2023 11:00

Uninstall Dell support assist and try again.

February 3rd, 2023 12:00

I have now tried that but it still says that my PC is fine.

2 Intern

• 

185 Posts

February 3rd, 2023 13:00

What are the PC specifications? 

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2023 13:00

Is the FPS consistent now though? It's always going to fluctuate a bit and that is why modern monitors have VRR.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 3rd, 2023 21:00

@Jensonosaurus wrote:

I have now tried that but it still says that my PC is fine.

No, he said uninstall it (not run it).

Try these settings:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R12-MSFS-only-a-FPS-of-20-no-matter-what-I-do/m-p/8343940/highlight/true#M66905

February 4th, 2023 03:00

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF 3.61 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

WD_BLACK SN850X HS 1000GB

PM9A1 NVMe Samsung 1024GB

Alienware 0C92D0

32GB DDR5 4400mhz (can go to 4800mhz but Alienware wont let me turn on XMP) 

Let me me know if there is anything I missed.

No, I understand FPS with fluctuate a bit but it fluctuates so much that it looks like the games are slowing down and speeding back up constantly. 

Ok so I've deleted support assist and tried these settings and unfortunately it hasn't done anything apart from make the FPS a bit higher but its still inconsistent.

2 Intern

• 

185 Posts

February 4th, 2023 05:00

One more question Windows 10 or 11?
How much is the dedicated video memory?

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

February 4th, 2023 07:00

Liquid cooled unit I assume? What is the graphic card and CPU load when playing one of these games?

Also, what resolution do you play games at? Is this the original OEM memory and most importantly: 1 or 2 memory sticks?

The best way to get performance metrics is with MSI afterburner and using the afterburner hardware monitor. You can pull up almost any metric on that monitor.

February 4th, 2023 08:00

Windows 11, and 10GB VRAM

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Jensonosaurus wrote:

Ok so I've deleted support assist and tried these settings and unfortunately it hasn't done anything apart from make the FPS a bit higher but its still inconsistent.

Sounds like a move in the right direction.

In Nvidia Control Panel ... do you have it set to App decides, You decide, or Driver decides? Do you understand what that really means?

Yes it is liquid cooled and the load is usually 40%-70% GPU and like 1%-10% CPU on most games.

I play at 1920x1080 on all my games and its 2 memory sticks 16GB each that both came with the PC

Also if I installed MSI afterburner would it not interfere with the Alienware Command Centre that came with the PC?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Jensonosaurus wrote:

Also if I installed MSI afterburner would it not interfere with the Alienware Command Centre that came with the PC?

It doesn't on my Aurora-R6 (running Windows-11 Pro) but that is with the older AW-CC v4.8.x ... back when it just did fans and lights.

No Events found!