Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

7 Posts

January 26th, 2019 05:00

Aurora R4, GPU crash, NO internal GPU

Hi,

Before I start, sorry for my English and I'm also kinda new in the pc (re)build world.

I have a big issue with my R4. The GPU crashed and there is no APU (internal GPU if I'm correct?) on my motherboard/CPU. So I check some stuff and what my conclusion is: The pc is dead,. There is no option of changing the GPU if I cant get the APU running. But yeah I don't have one, so its already impossible before I even start to look for spare parts. So I made some calls to a company. I don't gonna say the name off (but you can guess which one, i think), and they literally said, You're now, kick the whole pc out. For me it was a big OW "G". So before I kick the pc out, is there anyway of getting a new GPU running without a APU? At this point I don't care to full reset the pc, change some parts. But not the whole thing, because I don't have the money for a full rebuild. Also I already have the gigabyte 2070. Like I said I'm new. Was stupid to buy before checking so if I have to change can it please be with the 2070 :p

I hope you guys can read between the poor English and maybe have some new light on my dark problem.

Already a big thanks to read this to the end and I hope to hear from you all soon :)

Jackson

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 26th, 2019 06:00

I am a little confused so, did the GPU alone have problems or is the entire system dead? And you are correct, there is not an integrated GPU.But you do not need an integrated GPU to get the video working. If the GPU is not working, a simple replacement with another video card (GPU) is all you need. Even a cheap or old card just to get a video and ensure the system is working fine.

Now then is the system starting when you power it on? Any beeps or does it act like it is on? A GPU problem will not generally cause a dead system. You have the 2070 card, have you tried it in the system? Is that the card that crashed when you had problems? A little more information will help please.

Also an APU is an AMD CPU with integrated graphics (AMD coined that term). Intel's are just a CPU with integrated graphics. And again, completely unnecessary in this situation as whether you have integrated graphics or not will not have any bearing on a GPU card problem.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 27th, 2019 14:00

@Jackson0391 wrote:

1. There is no option of changing the gpu if i cant get the APU running,

2. Also i already have the gigabyte 2070,

1. Many nicer computers do not have on-board or integrated graphics. You just install a different PCIe video card (even if it's a baby-one).

2. That should work since Aurora-R4 is UEFI-based.
You should have:
- the latest/final BIOS
- OEM 875w Power-Supply

January 27th, 2019 14:00

Hi JOcean,

Thanks for youre replay!
I think it's indeed just my graphic card, there was some smoke on the side of the gpu (my pc is open, because of the heat)
so i shut everything down and wait 5min and start again, same problem: some smoke and no screen.
I disconnect the GPU and start my pc again to check there was nothing else broken, and it work just fine, same startup noise as always and no beeps.
So i bought the 2070 GPU, plug in and start up, normal startup noise, no beeps but also no screen.
Quick i read you need software to run the new GPU and a full story how to chance youre old gpu with a new one,
the full bios explanation how to activate youre internal GPU but yeah i dont have one.
The 2070 is not the same GPU as the one that crasht.

Thanks for the help!

Jackson

January 28th, 2019 10:00

Hi Tesla, Thats what i have done, i put the 2070 in my pc but nothing happend. The pc starts up as normal and i dont hear error beeps or stuff but i also dont have a signal on my monitor ( every kabel is on his place and the power is on)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 28th, 2019 11:00

@Jackson0391 wrote:

I think it's indeed just my graphic card, there was some smoke on the side of the gpu (my pc is open, because of the heat)
so i shut everything down and wait 5min and start again, same problem: some smoke and no screen.

Yikes :Surprise:

If you saw your old video card smoking, there is a good chance the motherboard (or other hardware) is damaged also. 

367 Posts

January 28th, 2019 11:00

@Jackson0391 wrote:
Hi Tesla, Thats what i have done, i put the 2070 in my pc but nothing happend. The pc starts up as normal and i dont hear error beeps or stuff but i also dont have a signal on my monitor ( every kabel is on his place and the power is on)

Where is your display cable connected? Is it connected to the the motherboard display ports or, the ones off the 2070 if they are on the motherboard connect them to the graphics card that is probably your problem.

January 28th, 2019 12:00

The pc works just fine without the broken gpu, so i think there is nothing wrong (i hope) I instal the new gpu , pc starts and i see the new gpu and gpu fans running but no screen (signal) I only have the display port from the gpu and no port or other connection on my motherboard. (there is also no software from the new gpu on my pc)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 28th, 2019 12:00

@Jackson0391 wrote:
1. The pc works just fine without the broken gpu, so i think there is nothing wrong (i hope) I instal the new gpu , pc starts and i see the new gpu and gpu fans running but no screen (signal)

2. I only have the display port from the gpu and no port or other connection on my motherboard. (there is also no software from the new gpu on my pc)

1. Doesn't sound "fine" to me.  :Indifferent:

2. Maybe you are not connected to the video-port that Windows currently considers as "Primary".

However, IIRC ... all connected monitors should display the BIOS/POST screen-image on initial boot (regardless of Windows settings).

January 29th, 2019 03:00

Hmm so you say you always have the bios screen but if the new gpu doesnt work (software and installation,..)
how can it send a signal to my monitor? because i use the hdmi port of the new gpu.
Also my pc has windows and everything so normally it starts up and doesn't show the bios when starting up.
Is there a way to check if the pc is not 'broken'? If i need to hit F12 or whatever for the bios when starting up,
that i have tried also and also no screen/signal.
I will try the pc later today again whit my new gpu and check everything again.

I will give a update :)

Thanks already for the reply's!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 29th, 2019 10:00

@Jackson0391 wrote:

1. Hmm so you say you always have the bios screen but if the new gpu doesnt work (software and installation,..) how can it send a signal to my monitor?

2. because i use the hdmi port of the new gpu.

3. Is there a way to check if the pc is not 'broken'? If i need to hit F12 or whatever for the bios when starting up,

1. It happens at a low-level/basic-level (no drivers are required).

2. Try a different port. On some old machines, HDMI doesn't display BIOS.

3. Press F12 and run ePSA Diags. If you can't get there, there is no question that it is broken or mis-configured.

January 30th, 2019 01:00

Hi Tesla,

Thanks for youre reply,
but im sorry to say there is no other display port on my pc, only the HDMI
When alienware build this pc, they had to start it up also but now i have this problem
and i ask myself how in the world have they done it?
Because in a new build they also have no drivers and stuff on the pc,
and they also only had the HDMI from the gpu to start it up.

So recap:

NO other diplay port on the pc (only hdmi from gpu)
NO internal GPU
PC runs without GPU, No beebs, errors (no screen also so its more a 'hope it works' stage)
Every kable is in place and the power is on.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 30th, 2019 12:00

@Jackson0391 wrote:

1. NO internal GPU.

2. but im sorry to say there is no other display port on my pc, only the HDMI

1. Right. The Aurora-R4 has no internal GPU (and therefore, no on-board video ports).

2. You said the old (original) video card smoked/fried ... so it's dead and removed.

So, you install the Nvidia RTX-2080. It has DisplayPorts in addition to a HDMI port.

No Events found!