Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

6 Posts

April 30th, 2021 08:00

Aurora R4, want upgrades because of freeze

hi

i want upgrade my R4 component can i have some tips?

Mother: stock

ram: 16gb ddr3 1600

cpu: i7-4960

power: stock

i dont care to use that cpu if u give me a new one to buy its fine. i just want i can still use alienware command center for colors fun alx 

if u need more infos just tell me it.

i really need do that cause its impossible use it right now... whit out a good reason the pc freeze every 2 min for like 2-5 sec in this time i can move the mouse or talk whit friends and hear them but cant do any kinde of imput the strange thing is if im watching a movie he dont do it but if i write on broser (or else) he do it.

i have tryed to use my old gpu and nothing change, reinstalling windows and nothing change try to take off my mouse and kyboard and use one old mouse and nothing change, try whit a different screen and nothing change ... pretty boring...

thx for ur help and sorry if i write something wrong

ps: its possible buy them on dell or i need go on other site? i just dont want buy a new ugly case ... if u want i can send u my r4 and u send it back upgrated 

thx again

Skull

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

April 30th, 2021 09:00

Considering the age of your system (10+ years) Upgrading really does not make the most financial sense. The freezing could be a symptom of RAM or drive problems. And your CPU is 4th generation which is getting pretty long in the tooth. I would strongly suggest that you consider replacing the system with a new, modern, and considerably faster system.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

April 30th, 2021 15:00

Try running the built in diagnostics, F12 on boot. 

Also, try separately checking the hard drive health too. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 30th, 2021 17:00

Doing upgrades to a broken/flakey/malfunctioning system ... thinking it will somehow magically fix it ... is generally a bad idea.

Fix it, then upgrade it.

The CPU and memory amount are fine.

You don't say make/model of GPU, but I'm guessing it is OK also.

Once it's working/stable ... maybe install a 2.5inch SATA SSD as bootable-C-drive for the final upgrade before retiring it (it will then boot and run-programs much faster ... compared to HDD)..

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 04:00

i was loocking for aurora r10-12 but have this "problem"

first they looks like pretty small so probably heat problem, it is?

second they are pretty ugly (i love so mutch my r4)

third a freind sayd to me the intel series 11 are really bad, not so fast and pretty hot (comparised whit intel 10th), its that true?

fourth i dont wanna be a funboy of intell but i alwese got them and never get issues, amd are really good? i heared from friends who got amd and got also some instability problem (i dont care about overclocking)

fifth can i buy a r10-r12 but they put thing inside my case instead the r10-12? or if i wanna do it i have to buy it then do it by my self? 

6 Posts

GPU : nvidia geforce GTX 1060 6gb
SSD: SanDisk SDSSDXPS960G

6 Posts

yea sorry forgot to say hd and gpu i go to edit for it,
in my dreams the idea was if i replace the old thing i put out the malfuncioning part and pc be happy again

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 10:00

have tryed the diagnostic short and long test but got nothing all fine,
what else i can try?
if im writing something some time he stop to write then after some second the letter appear

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

May 3rd, 2021 10:00

I have an R10, 3700X and had zero issues.

I have used it each day for the past 6 months or so, for work and gaming tasks.

If they still sell that configuration, pending on your needs, would work well for you.

Based on your existing specs it would be a big upgrade, especially if you pair it with a Radeon or RTX latest generation card.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2021 21:00

The R4 is a great machine and if you want to keep it running then you can. I still have a few R4 ALX's that I keep alive. You can even put a modern day motherboard, CPU and Memory in it and keep all your AlienFX functionality.

Freezing will most likely be caused by your GPU, HDD/SSD or Memory. If you have run the full ePSA diagnostic and the Memory and HDD/SSD pass then my guess would be that the GPU is failing or maybe you have a thermal issue. If you've never repasted your CPU or GPU then it could be worth a try. 

Also, try running on one memory stick at a time to rule that out. 

6 Posts

May 11th, 2021 20:00

hi guys thx alot for all answers, at the end i think im going to buy a new alienware what do you suggest to me?

i want something that never crashes, programs never crash (friends with amd gpu is always crashing )(remember i never overclock)

i was thinking about this 2 configurations, but any modification is appreciated: 

intel: aurora r12, CPU: 11th i7 11700F 2.5-4.9GHz GPU:RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 32GB 3200MHz HD: 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD Chassis: 1000W water cooler 

AMD: aurora r10, CPU: Ryzen7 5800x 8C GPU:RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 32GB 3200MHz HD: 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD power: 1000W water cooler and lunar light 

friend say this intel are slower and turns the case into an oven

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 11th, 2021 21:00

Personally, I'd probably go with the R10 Ryzen (zen 3) option. I don't really like the current 11th gen Intel offerings, which is just a rehash of 10th gen, but not necessarily an improvement for all use cases; overall core/thread count drops from 10/20 to 8/16 in the flagship Intel 11th gen (i.e., R12) offering, in favor of a nominal boost in speed.  

Also, note that R12 is currently experiencing performance issues as documented in this thread here:  https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R12-Unacceptable-BIOS-Z490-configuration-11th-Gen-Intel/td-p/7855848

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 12th, 2021 09:00

Aurora R12, CPU: 11th Intel-i7 11700F 2.5-4.9GHz
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB
RAM: 32GB 3200MHz DUAL-CHANNEL

NVMe SSD: 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD

Chassis: 1000W PS - Liquid-Cooled Intel-CPU

=============

My pick would be the Intel/Nvidia system.

Now-days, only NVMe or SATA SSD for Internal system drives.

6 Posts

May 12th, 2021 10:00

You may want to upgrade the cooling system.  I found they used a liquid cool that ended up crystallising on the fins inside and the heat displacement was terrible and the PC would shut down frequently due to overheating.  This was several years ago, so your two minute crash may be because there is no cooling happening at all anymore?

I also upgraded the video card and changed to an SSD.  The SSD greatly improved load times and had nothing to do with crashes.  the video card was because it finally stopped working.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

May 12th, 2021 14:00

I would go with the R10, but a 5600X. The lower TDP of 65 Watts will help a lot with heat issues inside the case. Heat issues will slow down the CPU and GPU, and a 5800X is overkill for an RTX 3070.

Also ensure to pick 2 x 16 GB for dual channel memory mode. I would even pick 2 x 8GB unless I required a higher amount of memory. Gaming etc... will run fine with 16 GB.

I would also not order it with as regular 2 TB drive, but instead purchase an aftermarket one. (Check ordering, to see how much they charge you for the 2 TB drive option). I bet installing it yourself will save you some money.

Ensure you order it with liquid cooling. Never order it with an air cooler.

No Events found!