Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2019 15:00

Aurora R6, cannot locate 1 TB HDD to replace

I want to replace the 1 TB HDD but I can't find it. I've seen online tutorials about 3.5 inch HDD installations/removals and they all deal with the main compartment that is clearly visible right when you open up the case. That is not what I'm talking about (in fact, that was empty when I got the computer and I have since installed a separate 3.5 inch HDD that I purchased separately). I am looking for the 1 TB HDD that came pre-installed when I purchased the PC (and is definitely there as Windows sees it). I cannot locate it. All I see is two 2.5 inch slots for SSD's and one 3.5 inch slot for an HDD. Thank you in advance.

Here is the exact computer in case it's helpful: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Alienware-Aurora-R6-AWAUR6-7688SLV-PUS-16GB-DDR4-Core-i7-7700-GTX-10...

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 10th, 2021 12:00

@sir-bexar wrote:

Sorry but I HAVE to post a response despite not knowing the answer either. 

I have searched the web for schematics that show the location of the secret HDD and so far haven't found it, just the same two obvious drive slots when you open the outside case.

It's right here.  You can see it after removing the panel, and without moving anything else.  I replaced mine with the Noctua fan. 

EVGA PSUEVGA PSUcomputer picture.jpg

4 hdd size.jpg

61 Posts

May 11th, 2019 03:00

Follow the leads:

This one?
Manual Page 46
http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1039045262.pdf

6 Posts

May 11th, 2019 04:00

Thanks, but that shows the HDD that's in the clearly noticeable when you open the case, like I mentioned in the post. There was nothing there in that slot in my PC and I've added my own separately purchased HDD there. I'm looking for the other 1 TB HDD that came pre-installed, which is not clearly noticeable when opening the case, because I've looked and didn't see it.

2.5K Posts

May 11th, 2019 04:00

not sure  the question.

but here goes, the lost HDD, saga.

well look in disk manager (windows)

what you see is what you have

or open the case, see that PSU thing, Power supply and the  cables to  it?

see those SATA power cables with plugs,  (I cant see inside you case so... have no idea what is there )

SATA POWER AND DATA, YOU HAVE 4 SATA PORTS.

ALL YOU DO IS look there, bottom right corner, and follow them to the  DRIVES of ANY kind SATA.

if cable fell off, BINGO.

you can follow both sata cables power and data, ok> and solve this easy.

bottom right corner, 1,2,3,4 up from the bottom, black ,black tan blue, easy no?

r6.jpg

2.5K Posts

May 11th, 2019 05:00

not understanding your confusion

you do know right that 1TB drive can be in many formfactors right.?

SSD

HDD 2.5 and 3.5"

m.2

and more outside PC.

what is inside Ive no idea, but the Walmart shows, 7200RPM 1TB, so is not a SSD,unless  you are super lucky.

all you need to do is count SATA ports and M.2.

61 Posts

May 11th, 2019 07:00

Is it as solid state drive on the system board as on page 79 of the manual?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 11th, 2019 07:00

You are looking for the 3.5 inch blue caddy.  The drive can be any sata drive or a 2.5 inch drive inside a 3.5 adapter put into the blue caddy.

might know what the part number is for the caddy.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-Dell-Aurora-R5-3-5-HDD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Tray-Bracket-13P1-4YN0G01/352337215347

caddy.jpg

drive in blue caddydrive in blue caddy

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 11th, 2019 09:00

AWAUR6-7688SLV

has

• Processor Intel Core i7-7700  4.20 GHz, 4 cores, 8MB cache
  • 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
  • 16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz

Since there are only 2 drives its possible that the 1Tb drive is 2.5 inches

6 Posts

May 11th, 2019 10:00

Yeah, I've considered that it could be a 2.5 HDD. It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to locate it. It is not apparent where it is, it's very frustrating.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 11th, 2019 10:00

It can only be in the 2.5 bays or 3.5 bay.

If the caddys are there then its just a standard SATA Drive.

The left cover comes off and all 3 places where it can be are visible.

SATA DRIVE LOCATIONSSATA DRIVE LOCATIONS

6 Posts

May 11th, 2019 11:00

It's not in any of those spots. I am postitive because I have put my own separately bought drives in those spots. But windows shows I have a 1 TB HDD on top of that. Thanks for helping though

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 12th, 2019 07:00

What does it say in device manager.

Sounds like its a 1TB NVME Stick not a 3.5 drive.

There are not alternate mounting points for a mechanical sata Drive.

F2 Bios would also have a part number and serial number.

I actually own one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-1TB-MZ-V7E1T0BW/dp/B07BN217QG/

M2 SSD  1TBM2 SSD 1TB

M2 STICK 2280M2 STICK 2280

August 10th, 2021 11:00

Sorry but I HAVE to post a response despite not knowing the answer either. 

I have searched the web for schematics that show the location of the secret HDD and so far haven't found it, just the same two obvious drive slots when you open the outside case.

If you could find the SATA connector for the secret HDD, then you could follow it. As I am online at the moment, I will not attempt that, but I believe it is located in the upper part of the case which is nearly impossible to open and could damage your case so keeping it all in perspective that is my guess.

I am a little flabbergasted that people would post replies when they don't own the machine, and are only looking at information online. Now maybe the PC originally came with the HDD in one of those two locations and was moved to make room for another drive, but there IS A SECRET HDD DRIVE ON THE AURORA R6. 

There is no question about that. If you look to the back of the motherboard you will see maybe three SATA connectors on the motherboard. The top one appears to be red and goes up to the upper part of the case never to be seen again. So guess that solves where it lives.

I read that the upper part of the case is really hard to remove but it can be done. Maybe do a google search or a youtube search.

Seeing as this thread is over two years old and soon to be archived I am signing off.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 10th, 2021 12:00

Also, the other sata cable you mentioned goes to the dvd drive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 8th, 2021 00:00

@sir-bexar  the owners manual and service manual for most Dell systems clearly show where each and every storage device goes.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r6-desktop/docs

Installing Drive

Aurora-r6-r7 installing-the- drive

DRIVES R6.JPG

No Events found!