Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2018 12:00

Aurora R7, CPU air cooling upgrades

Hello everyone,

I just received my BRAND NEW Aurora R7 with a locked i7 and stock air cooler.  The stock air cooler is unbearably noisy -(think hornets nest or vacuum cleaner).  I was wondering if anyone can recommend any CPU air cooling products that they can confirm will fit in the very limited space between the CPU and the power supply?  I have been considering the Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler which requires a minimum top clearance of 58 mm plus breathing room, and should provide some cooling to the surrounding motherboard as well as the actual CPU.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069CQ7BE?pf_rd_p=d1f45e03-8b73-4c9a-9beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=HRTJK0CDR1RS073EH37W

Can anyone quantify how much space is actually available between the top of the CPU and the side of the PSU where an air cooler would reside?

As an aside, I have read elsewhere on these boards that AIO water cooling options are available, but I would prefer air cooling due to the reliability and no risk of liquid damage.

Thank you in advance, I have seen some great posts on these boards!

12 Posts

August 25th, 2018 12:00

I purchased and installed a Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler (hereafter SBS2) in my Aurora R7.  DISCLAIMER:  THIS WAS NOT AN EASY PROCESS DUE TO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED TO THE AURORA R7 CPU BACKPLATE.  My motivation for this project was to fix the stock CPU fan noise problem, which is not generally something that bothers me but its severity was such that it could not be ignored.  I chose an air cooling solution because I didn't see the need for the cooling capacity of a liquid cooler in a non-K type un-overclockable i7 and I didn't want to deal with the possible catastrophic failures of liquid in the components, nor the more routine pump failures.  I can easily replace a CPU fan when the time comes.  I will be detailing the installation and the modification in pictures below for those who may want to do the same install on their Aurora R7.

I would like to thank a few people who helped pave the way for this install:

Ghooper, who installed a SBS2 on his XPS 

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Dell-XPS-8930-is-noisy-under-load-How-to-improve-Cooling-Top-Fan/td-p/5171062

The guys at UFD Tech on Youtube who did a step-by-step install of the SBS2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpsOku0sww

Bakir, who provided some pointers on disassembly,

and @Tesla1856 who provided moral support despite the fact that air cooling goes against the grain of his existence :Wink:

First, a look at the offending Dell-installed stock Intel CPU cooler:

The CPU fan that wanted to be a RC car engineThe CPU fan that wanted to be a RC car engine

After uninstalling the motherboard from the case, the problem with installing the SBS2 is that the included SBS2 backplate mounting screws will not pass through the existing CPU backplate holes, which are threaded.

The backplate mounting screws included with the SBS2  are only half threaded and will not pass through the  R7's CPU backplateThe backplate mounting screws included with the SBS2 are only half threaded and will not pass through the R7's CPU backplate

I removed the CPU and CPU backplate from the R7, which utilizes a nonstandard screw head.  Fortunately, I had an odd-sized phillips that did the trick.  I found a Dremel grinding bit that perfectly matched the size of the SBS2 backplate mounting screws and ground the threads out of the R7 CPU backplate.

This Dremel bit perfectly strips the threading from the R7 CPU backplate mounting nutsThis Dremel bit perfectly strips the threading from the R7 CPU backplate mounting nuts

After replacing the modified CPU backplate, the SBS2 backplate was installed without further issue.  The instructions included with the SBS2 are lacking, but the Youtube video by UFD Tech helped fill in the blanks.

The SBS2 should provide better passive and active cooling to the CPU and motherboard chipsetThe SBS2 should provide better passive and active cooling to the CPU and motherboard chipset

The SBS2 fits like a glove, nothing short of miraculous given the multidimensional space restrictions of the case and motherboard.

Here you can see the SBS2 just barely clears the chipset heatsink, but should provide active cooling to the areaHere you can see the SBS2 just barely clears the chipset heatsink, but should provide active cooling to the area

After closing the PS enclosure, the SBS2 has about a cm of overhead space in the tight R7 caseAfter closing the PS enclosure, the SBS2 has about a cm of overhead space in the tight R7 case

As a final touch, I moved the graphics card to the bottom slot to allow better airflow to the CPU from the front case fan.

A look at the completed installA look at the completed install

Subjectively, the noise level has dropped dramatically since installing the SBS2.  At idle or low load, the machine is virtually silent now, likely due to the improved passive cooling of the heatsink itself.  At load, the SBS2 is audible but far more tolerable, and the temperatures do not seem to be fluctuating as wildly as they were with the stock cooler.  I'm very satisfied with the install and the outcome; I may upgrade the front and top case fans with Noctua models at a later date.

I hope my experience helps anyone else that is looking for a replacement air cooling solution for their Aurora R7!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2018 13:00

In my opinion, any Intel-i7 needs a Liquid-Cooler. (period)

Since the stock/OEM Liquid-Cooler for Aurora-R5/R6/R7 is apparently not available (bizarre) from Dell parts, I say drop in whatever Asetek cooler it was cloned from. 

The guys over here are using this one:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R6-installing-a-Corsair-H60/td-p/6108251

I think all Corsair coolers are really cloned Asetek models (as are many others). Just duplicate the stock LC setup. The case is already built for it.

These Asetek (sealed closed-loop) are very reliable. Leaking liquid is not an issue. I still have the original Asetek one in my old Aurora-R1 (and it's been pushed hard for 7 years). 

IMO, CPU-fans on high-performance desktops (including gaming systems) is about like using spinning-platter HDD as a boot-drive instead of a SSD. :Smile:

12 Posts

August 16th, 2018 13:00

Thank you for your prompt reply @Tesla1856; I had a feeling you may respond similarly based on your previous posts.  I have a great deal of respect for your apparent knowledge and dedication to these boards.

There are a number of issues in play here that need to be acknowledged:

1.  I shouldn't be needing to upgrade the cooling solution in a brand-new "boutique" grade gaming PC such as Alienware.  My PC sounds like it has a large, angry hornets' nest built in.  Here's looking at you, Dell :Embarrassed:

2.  The proper parts for upgrading or repairing said "boutique" grade gaming PC should be available if needed- which they aren't.  Here's looking at you, Dell :Embarrassed:

3.  Although opinions differ, there is some data to suggest that air cooling solutions can rival watercooling https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-guide,4597-4.html and provide additional cooling to the motherboard chipset.  Not to discount @Tesla1856 or his opinions in any way, I would just prefer to use an air cooling solution if I'm going to be utilizing parts that are not designed for the Aurora 7 case.  Additionally, my system is not overclockable and probably doesn't need the additional cooling capacity that liquid cooling can provide.

With that said, does anyone have measurements of the CPU headspace or otherwise have experience with an after-market CPU air cooler?  It is a difficult space to measure accurately.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2018 14:00

@Invokeur wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply @Tesla1856; I had a feeling you may respond similarly based on your previous posts.  I have a great deal of respect for your apparent knowledge and dedication to these boards.

There are a number of issues in play here that need to be acknowledged:

1.  I shouldn't be needing to upgrade the cooling solution in a brand-new "boutique" grade gaming PC such as Alienware.  My PC sounds like it has a large, angry hornets' nest built in.  Here's looking at you, Dell :Embarrassed:

2.  The proper parts for upgrading or repairing said "boutique" grade gaming PC should be available if needed- which they aren't.  Here's looking at you, Dell :Embarrassed:

3.  Although opinions differ, there is some data to suggest that air cooling solutions can rival watercooling https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-guide,4597-4.html and provide additional cooling to the motherboard chipset.  Not to discount @Tesla1856 or his opinions in any way, I would just prefer to use an air cooling solution if I'm going to be utilizing parts that are not designed for the Aurora 7 case.  Additionally, my system is not overclockable and probably doesn't need the additional cooling capacity that liquid cooling can provide.

With that said, does anyone have measurements of the CPU headspace or otherwise have experience with an after-market CPU air cooler?  It is a difficult space to measure accurately.

1. Agreed. It should throw a config-error when you try to buy an Intel-i7 without a Liquid-Cooler.

IMO, it should also throw a config-error when you try to buy a GTX-1070 or higher without a 850w PS.

Basically, only baby low-end configs should be allowed to ship with CPU-fans and 460w PS.

2. Agreed. You know they have a case of them where they build the Aurora-R7. :Surprise: OEM Asetek Liquid-Coolers are also used in Area-51 and some nicer Precision Workstation models.

3. Maybe 1% of all Dell/Alienware users ever (in last 8 years) have ever wanted to drop-back to fan-cooling. No Aurora-R5/R6/R7 users that I know of. Even the little x51-R3 had optional LC. You can check the XPS area. They were playing with low-profile fan-coolers in a couple of threads. However, I think that's mainly because there is no good place to install a Liquid-Cooler's radiator assembly. Their case is similar (with Power-Supply over CPU). 

12 Posts

August 16th, 2018 15:00

To derail my own thread, I spent the last few hours both measuring the clearance between the CPU and the PS AND looking at the possibility of liquid cooling with the radiator in the top of the case.  After a largely unsuccessful exploration of the top cover and the underlying assembly that I could not remove by following the directions in the r7 service manual, MOST of the time spent was wasted in futile attempts to replace the top cover, during which I managed to break 2 of the flimsy plastic tabs that WOULD NOT "snap into place" as the instructions in the Dell PDF file indicated they should.  Instead the tabs refused to glide into their intended position and effectively pushed the cover away from the case body.  By divine intervention, or a momentary failure of known laws of physics, I managed to get the cover back in position, sans 2 of the 4 clips.  

I will never, under any circumstances, ever, for any reason, take the top cover off again. :Angry:

On the bright side, it looks like the Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B will have the vertical and horizontal clearance it needs, in addition to clearing the RAM, assuming my measurements are accurate.  I will update this thread if/when I get the time to go ahead with this project.

In the meantime, I would love to hear from anyone else out there who might have installed an after-market air cooler in their Aurora R7.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 17th, 2018 10:00

@Invokeur wrote:

...  top cover, during which I managed to break 2 of the flimsy plastic tabs that WOULD NOT "snap into place" as the instructions ... I managed to get the cover back in position, sans 2 of the 4 clips.  

Never tried it, but I would imagine it is on there pretty-good because it also appears to be a lifting-handle for the whole computer.

I guess glue and/or melt the Tabs back on (checkout Plastruct Plastic Weld Solvent-Cement). No big deal if they are hidden. They might also need re-enforcing. 

If you can't salvage it, check Dell-Parts and/or eBay (many part-out Dells). 

January 13th, 2019 15:00

how do you have remove the cpu backplate ? i want to put a Coolermaster Hyper Led but i need to change the backplate how you have remove them  i have the r6 ? thanks

12 Posts

January 13th, 2019 19:00

Before I answer your question, I must point out that none of the CM Hyper LED models that I have seen will have a clearance small enough to fit between the motherboard and the power supply in a closed R6/R7 case.

With that said, to remove the backplate you must release the CPU clamp and open the cover, after which you will be able to access all 3 of the screws needed to remove it (see pictured, they are black with an unusual design).

12 Posts

March 10th, 2019 14:00

@Tesla1856 said: "Since the stock/OEM Liquid-Cooler for Aurora-R5/R6/R7 is apparently not available (bizarre) from Dell parts..."

I can confirm these are still available, I purchased one last week.

You just have to chat or call an agent to order.

September 8th, 2019 14:00

I orderd my aurora r8 with liquid cooling and it didnt come with it cant wait for it to arrive so I can return it customer support wont respond to me after I spent over 2000 dollars to get a loud pc that isn't even the way I orderd it what a waste of time and money I am so furious with dell right now! Will never spend another dime with this company

No Events found!