Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2018 13:00

Aurora-R7, Corsair H75, SupportAssist

I just upgraded to a Corsair H75 about an hour ago from the standard stock intel cooler. Upon boot SupportAssist checks the CPU fan and says its not responding and I have a hardware failure. It then lets me continue to boot windows and my temps are great (a lot lower and quieter than stock cooler anyway). Everything seems to be fine except SupportAssist.  

I have the 2 push/pull fans plugged into a provided Y adapter and in turn that adapter is plugged into the CPU fan header. The pump itself is plugged into the pump header. Should I instead plug the fans into the top fan header? I was told the CPU fan header would be better.

7 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 15:00

I fixed it. It was indeed the Y splitter that came with the h75. I hooked the top radiator fan to the top fan header and the bottom radiator fan to the cpu header. Then in alienware command center I adjusted the top fan to sync with the cpu sensor. Thanks for your input!

7 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 14:00

Sorry its an Aurora R7 bios ver 1.0.12.

The only thing I can find with support assist in the bios is OS recovery and disabling it does not help. I have opened the case while turned on and both fans are running. I ran intel burn test and stayed under 70 degrees so the thing must be working.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 2nd, 2018 14:00

You don't say what machine you have, but you can sometimes disable Pre-Boot SupportAssist in BIOS.

SupportAssist for Windows should be able to be uninstalled the normal way.

7 Posts

I uninstalled SupportAssist from Windows. I also saw a newer bios on dells website even though Alienware Update told me I was up to date. I installed it and still have the same problem. I'm now on Bios 1.0.14.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Heliades wrote:

I have the 2 push/pull fans plugged into a provided Y adapter and in turn that adapter is plugged into the CPU fan header. The pump itself is plugged into the pump header. Should I instead plug the fans into the top fan header? I was told the CPU fan header would be better.

Might be related to this because they don't mention problems with Corsair H60 installs (single rad-fan ?).

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R6-installing-a-Corsair-H60/m-p/6108251#M4301

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Heliades wrote:

I uninstalled SupportAssist from Windows.

Google shows hits on users having a problem getting it completely uninstalled.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 2nd, 2018 19:00

@Heliades wrote:

1. I fixed it.

2. It was indeed the Y splitter that came with the h75. I hooked the top radiator fan to the top fan header and the bottom radiator fan to the cpu header.

3. Then in alienware command center I adjusted the top fan to sync with the cpu sensor. Thanks for your input!

1. Good work. :Yes:

2. So, the Corsair-H75 fits into the Aurora-R7 fine huh? You like it?

3. Right, that's what I use ... with a nice curve.

798 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 22:00

The H75 is a nice low profile unit and it's nice that you can use both fans in your setup.   I looked at that unit for an XPS 8930 because it had the thinner radiator and also has rotating barbs to help the hoses clear the PSU bracket but went with the new 2018 H60 because I wouldn't be able to use the two 25mm fans.   I am getting 66-70 degrees C at 100% CPU in Prime 95 degrees with the H60 on an i7 8700 using a push pull but using 15mm slim fans.  So your temps are right on.  

It's strange that you got the motherboard fan header error with the Y cable since those are supposed to be PWN fans and one of the fans should be setting an signal through one side of that Y cable. As long as you have a fan connected to the TOP FAN header in your case you should not have gotten a fan error at startup.

Do you have a front fan intake fan in your Alienware?  

7 Posts

September 6th, 2018 14:00

Love it, I needed no additional hardware and did not need to remove the mother board. The top of the R7 has just enough room for the 2 fans + radiator. Temps are 10-15 degrees cooler and because it is infinitely quieter I can set my fan curve higher. The tubes were a little tight though I had to tuck them in the upper corner so the PSU could close.

798 Posts

September 25th, 2018 20:00

@Heliades wrote:

I just upgraded to a Corsair H75 about an hour ago from the standard stock intel cooler. Upon boot SupportAssist checks the CPU fan and says its not responding and I have a hardware failure. It then lets me continue to boot windows and my temps are great (a lot lower and quieter than stock cooler anyway). Everything seems to be fine except SupportAssist.  

Just a follow up on your install and the Y cable issue.

I don't have a R7 but did take a look at the service manual and the instructions for the CPU liquid cooler.

With the factory cooler they use the TOP FAN motherboard header for the single radiator fan.

The pump power cable (or tach cable if your pump is SATA powered) goes to the PUMP FAN motherboard header as you did.

The R7 service manual diagram as well as an older H60 R6 install (R6 has similar fan headers and service manual diagram) shows the white CPU FAN header empty.   Leaving it unused will not create a startup error.

That would be the proper way to connect the single fan CPU liquid cooler.

R7 Cooler Install.JPG

Older H60 in R6.JPG

Since you connected the Y cable initially to the CPU FAN, that's perhaps why you likely got the error.  Once you connected a fan to the TOP FAN it went away.  Using the Y cable to the TOP FAN header is the correct install path

Not sure if a connector to the PUMP FAN header automatically allows the CPU FAN header to be empty of if there is a BIOS ar AWCC setting that changes that CPU fan header to be empty in conjunction with the liquid cooler being installed.

1 Message

August 19th, 2019 08:00

Just replaced mine with replaced mine following the same instructions. For what it's worth it worked perfectly and was easy peasy

175 Posts

August 19th, 2019 11:00

I had similar issue when fitting h60 albeit using the original to fan. Resolved as stated. 

I had the next model corsair, either 70 or 80 but the connections were more complex and plugged to a sata connector.

What I'm trying to point out is the connectors on motherboard have limited current drive, plugging two fans may may exceed the current, hence why I have one fan in one socket. 

Also the corsair models after the h60 have larger diameter hoses making it harder to pack them in limited space below the psu. 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 19th, 2019 12:00

What I'm trying to point out is the connectors on motherboard have limited current drive, plugging two fans may may exceed the current, hence why I have one fan in one socket. 

That is a valid point. Some XPS 8930 users did drive 2x 120mm fans using that one top fan header. Believe those are Corsair and/ or Noctua fans.

I had a similar concern as you did but it's for my second AIO cooler (Corsair H55) that I modded using a Kraken G12 onto my GPU. Was thinking of hooking it up via a splitter to the pump header and the Asetek but decided against it as I wasn't sure of the current draw of a pump motor so I drove it directly from a PSU SATA power connection.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 19th, 2019 13:00

That is a valid point. Some XPS 8930 users did drive 2x 120mm fans using that one top fan header. Believe those are Corsair and/ or Noctua fans.

I am driving two Noctua 120 mm FLX 3-pin fans using the CPU fan header and a y-splitter cable (blue in this photo)

w47.JPG

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 19th, 2019 16:00

I had considered this too, before adding 2 fans to a single header on a Y splitter without any issues thus far.  The OEM Dell Nidec fan (included on radiator with watercooling systems) draws 1.4A, so each motherboard header (or, at least, the top fan header) must be good for at least this much.  As comparison: 

• Noctua NF-F12 IPPC 3000 = 0.3A
  • Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX 3PIN = 0.14A
  • Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM = 0.14A
  • OEM Dell AVC case fan (e.g., included on top exhaust with air cooling systems), 120mm = 1.04A
  • Corsair ML 120 Pro = 0.225A

So, in summary, the motherboard's fan headers are fine to power two average aftermarket PC case fans on a Y splitter.  An exception would be if you powered 2 OEM AVC noisemakers on the same header, as that would draw in excess of 2A, which is more than .6A over the known capacity of 1.4A (not sure why you'd want to do that). 

No Events found!