Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2020 17:00

Aurora R7, adding additional hard drives

Hi everyone, 

I have had my Aurora R7 for just over a year and have decided I need more memory. I currently have a Seagate 1tb 3.5 hdd.

I was planning to added these 2 drives:

- Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SATA 2.5" SSD (I would then make this the main drive of the computer)

- Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB SATA 2.5" HDD.

Sorry for my ignorance but will this all work together? And will I need to purchase additional cables or power supplies?

I am open to suggestions on a better set up, but please bare in mind I am on a budget.

Many Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Yes, you can add two SATA 2.5" (hdd or SSD) drives.  Power cables are behind the PSU in the metal box, just unscrew the flaps.  You will need to buy SATA data cables.  Personally, the R7 has a slot for an M2 drive, which is like 6x faster than the SATA SSD.  If you're replacing the boot drive, you'd be better served moving it to the M2 pcie nvme, a 1tb m2 pcie runs around the same price as the much slower SSD, can be had for little over $100 usually, but you won't have to buy any cables.  No good deals now, but for example this 1tb intel m2 pcie nvme drive runs for $118 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-660p-1-0TB-80mm-978350/dp/B07GCL6BR4/

3 Posts

Thanks very much for your advice, I think I will do just that. Out of curiosity, as this is a different slot would I be able to install the 2 extra drives I have already planned and the m2 drive?

So there would have:

• 1 x 1TB 3.5" HDD
  • 1 x 2TB 2.5" HDD
  • 1 x 1TB 2.5" SSD
  • 1 x 1TB PCIE NVME

I'm just asking so I can understand my limits. 

Thanks again.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 5th, 2020 19:00

Yes, there are 4 SATA headers, so you can have 3 SATA drives, the internal DVD drive, plus the M2 nvme pcie drive (which doesn't require a SATA header).  You would put both 2.5" drives on the bottom, there would be 2 empty bays in your case.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

January 6th, 2020 05:00

you can put any SSD or HDD on those SATA real ports, any..

the only limit is the over 2TB limit using MBR formatted drives, if you run w10-64bit it will use GPT format by default and there is NO LIMITS, (not till 2050 year and huge exabyte drives are sold , if ever.)

there is no limit, on a real PC with lots of PCI-e slots you can add more SATA(mark-III)   port cards, and add drives,A to Z (or more.  they have this extended too now) and unlimited partitions now.(GPT)

until  your desk collapses from shear weight.

internal and external , no limits at all.  (just cost and labor and your time are limits) 

USB drives, or eSATA too,

M.2 (gumstick drive) is the best boot drive, I buy cheap small fast one and keep data on A to Z, what ever.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2020 07:00

Thats great thank you for the information, very helpful.

No Events found!