Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2020 06:00

Aurora R7, can't enter BIOS, Check Media Presence

Hi everybody, I would like to read some help about a problem I am facing.

I own an Aurora R7, with 32GB RAM, Corsair H60 LiquidCooling, and 4 HDD. My system was working without problems untill the day I tried to make a windows OS installation to an external drive (through front USB port). I was kind of testing the speed of the installation. 

Before this installation, I went to the BIOS and changed the Safe Bood Mode (if I remember correct), when my PC turned on after this setting I stopped watching the clear "Alienware" Logo, instead I am now watching a pixelated face of an Alien and then instead of boot I get the following message "Check Media Presence".

The most crazy part is that if I now hit the F2 or F12 I cannot get to BIOS Setup or Boot setup. Right after the Alien face I get a black screen with a stable dash (or underscore) and nothing really happen. I need to turn the PC off.

If I turn on the machine and wait from the "Check Media Presence" to check, then I boot up normally. But I am afraid that the next time I will need to format my PC I will not be able to install Windows because I cannot select the boot device.

I tried to clear CMOS with the inner jumper, also took out the battery, I even tried to update the BIOS, everytime my machine turns on and I press F2 or F12 the same black screen with white dash or undercore, doesn't blink, just stays there forever.

Any help will be a medicine to my "pain"!

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 01:00

I was able to bring back the Secure Boot by formating the disk with the USB Recovery tool from Alienware. I never believed that I could do fix it that way because my problem was before the windows boot. But it seems when the drive is correctly formated, the system then automatically activates the Secure Boot feature. Now everything works as normal, I can enter to BIOS, Choose the Boot devices and no "Check Media Presence" is showing.

Thank you everybody for your effort to help me!

3 Posts

April 1st, 2020 02:00

I can see that no one knows how to help here. The Dell Service was the only who responded asking my Service Tag, when they saw my warranty is expired they left me alone without any help. Great customer support.

That was a good lesson to get after spending 3500€ in PC and Laptop. I will remember that next time I will consider buying a computer from your company. 

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

April 1st, 2020 04:00

if you buy a car for 3500 (Euro's)  into a ditch at 150KPH , then you call up,

Aston Martin

what would they say.?

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

April 1st, 2020 04:00

all things you did are wrong,  then later made it worse, re-setting BIOS NVRAM. wow why do that.?

first act wrong was installing windows externally,  (HDD in USB case) do not do that on any UEFI, Secure BOOT PC.

if you wanted to do that dirty deed , (why cant imagine)  W10 does not allow dual boots now. so is useless path.

you should have remove all internal HDD/SSD first so that this act did not mess them up in this wild experiment.

it is your PC, you sure can do what ever you want but there are consequences.

no matter what company you  buy from the same thing, happens, new PC are all UEFI, Secureboot w10 64bit.

you can not just play around  on them and have secureboot get upset NOW.

the cure is simple get rid of the HDD external first (unplug  it )

then read the Dell pages for recovery,  OS recovery, IDK the rules for that on  very new PC.

but alas , one search it  is here.

after you recover and all is good, and still want a 2nd boot, learn to use VM

Today that is the best path, never ever dual boot.

Hyper_V

all  you do is create and image file of the OS you want to run then use hyper-V to run it.

next time ask how to do first, not sure what that was yet but please do.ask first. on modern PCs

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 1st, 2020 14:00

Is it possible that when you turned on “safe boot” you have actually turned on secure boot feature?

are you able to boot the system to dos without error using a bootable usb stick?

when you encounter the error “check media presence”, does it follow with “no media present” error or “media present”?

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

April 1st, 2020 17:00

@elislasop :

If I turn on the machine and wait from the "Check Media Presence" to check, then I boot up normally. But I am afraid that the next time I will need to format my PC I will not be able to install Windows because I cannot select the boot device.

After all the CMOS reset and BIOS flashing, are you still able to get back to Windows using what you described above (wait for "Check Media Presence" to check and then boot normally)?

No Events found!