Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

16 Posts

April 18th, 2019 13:00

Aurora R7, new, just broke, infinite BSOD

I'm posting this just to see if others had this experience.

Long story short, I finally went PC and bought a brand new Alienware Aurora R7 desktop in February 2019. A month later, I took it to Micro Center and added a M.2 SSD (they switched my HDD into a different drive, used only for storage, and now Windows 10 is on my SSD which is a Intel 7 series SSD). Everything was working great... the speed to boot up was incredibly fast, my games loaded much faster, etc.

Then, a couple of days ago, while I was in the middle of playing a game (Division 2), my PC froze and I heard the loudest "scrambled" noise I've ever heard... I could not close out of the game, could not reset, could not do anything - it was literally stuck. So I powered off my desktop, try to reboot, and now, after an entire day of trying, I can't even get Windows Automatic Repair to work... when Windows tries to start Automatic Repair, it just gets stuck/hangs and I have to power off again.

I also had already made a USB recovery stick via Dell and that would not work. I couldn't even get THAT to work, which was extremely frustrating. I didn't want to toy too much with BIOS settings, but I tried everything that was suggested, (booting from USB, etc.).

So now, my desktop is at Micro-Center. After an entire day, they've said they can't get into Windows 10 either... and have now ordered me a new motherboard. Now, I'm not a PC expert, but I understand technology more than the average person... but I tried to ask why I need a new motherboard (and what would this cost? Surely it's under warranty? Is Micro Center the right place to do this, etc. etc.) - They told me they're a Dell Authorized Repair Center and that it would be under warranty.

When I tried digging further into this, all he could explain was the video card doesn't turn on (during their diagnostics) and I asked did he try the Intel graphics as well as my Nvidia 1080 graphics, and he said yeah, the Intel one worked a bit, but then didn't (which again didn't make a ton of sense to me). So I'm now waiting on a new motherboard and am awaiting Micro Center to let me know if my PC will be fixed.

So what is my post about? Well, to be honest, this isn't a great experience so far. My computer is barely 3 months old... yes, I added a new SSD installed on the M.2 interface, but that was done by a "computer professional" (and even then, I chatted Dell Support to ensure an Intel 7 series SSD would work correctly, and they said it would be fine, as long as they uninstall the Optane Memory -- which Micro Center did). So, I don't think it would have anything to do with my SSD would it? 

Is this a normal experience from PC users (my guess is no") - but I haven't toyed with my PC... haven't messed with any settings outside the ordinary, haven't OC'd anything, so what would have caused this? Surely can't be because I was playing the Division 2 and something just failed... is that normal?

Sadly frustrated... really thought I would like my PC but not if this happens in 3 months time.

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

Sadly these things can happen from time to time.  There could have been a sub-standard component such as a capacitor installed on the motherboard that prematurely failed.  It's also possible that the installation of the M.2 drive could have caused a problem that exacerbated itself under load.  It's difficult to tell when the machine isn't in front of you.

The good news is that since the computer is under warranty, it should be fixed and returned to you in good working order.

FWIW, I've had Macs fail as well...expensive Macs. Trying to fix those can also be an exercise in frustration.

16 Posts

Thanks @amstel78 - appreciate the response. Yes, by no means am I implying Macs are better than PCs, just stating that I am extremely frustrated that I've spent so much $$ on this PC, with a brand new SSD installed as well, for it to completely brick my computer.

Hoping the warranty takes care of everything and that I don't experience this again. I just wish I could know what happened so that I don't worry about it in the future.

Also, any suggestion as to why my USB Recovery stick would not work (or could it be that if my PC was truly bricked, the USB wouldn't have mattered anyway?)

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

April 18th, 2019 21:00

I wasn't trying to start a PC versus Mac discussion, but simply wanted to illustrate the point that even new high-dollar electronics can fail for whatever reason. Case in point, back in 2005 I bought a brand new BMW E46 M3. The car had 7 miles on the odometer when I took delivery. At roughly 1100 miles, the vehicles ECU died while I was on the New Jersey Turnpike. Scary situation to say the least. I had to have the vehicle towed back to the dealership. They ended up having to overnight a new ECU from Germany. 

As for your question about the recovery USB stick. If your motherboard died which it sounds like the case, then that wouldn't have helped you. The only recourse would be to replace the motherboard.

If I were you, id bring this matter up directly with Dell and all if they'll extend your  warranty coverage for free as compensation. Couldn't hurt to ask. 

16 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 12:00

Just to update this thread, in the case another poor soul has to go through this.

I had to wait seven days for Micro-Center (a "Dell Authorized Dealer") to order a new motherboard for my bricked R7 only for them to say "nope, that didn't work and don't know what to do next."

Seriously?

So now, I've called Dell and they're wanting me to send it to them. I should have done this in the beginning (note to any one who is new to Dell/new to owning an Alienware -- contact Dell only!)

My only additional concern, now, is I spent $100 for Micro Center to install a new SSD into the m.2 slot on my desktop and Dell told me I have to have that removed before sending it off for repair.

So once my PC finally gets fixed, I will then have to take it back to somewhere else to get my SSD reinstalled?

I'm so frustrated with this entire thing. Wishing I just didn't even buy this PC.

1 Message

September 7th, 2019 21:00

Just curious what your end result was with this re cost etcetera. My daughter has the same computer and, after 2 years, suddenly the same thing happened. We were also told by a repair person (highly reputable) that the ridiculous price we paid for the computer did not include gaming ram.....which is also hooped....as is the power source. How is this possible? 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 8th, 2019 09:00

Gaming RAM ... what is that even supposed to mean?   RAM is RAM  Some may come with fancy RGB lights, different speeds, or different timings, that gamers may like, but there's really no such thing as "gaming RAM."  Not like there are different types of hard drives used for different purposes.  And RAM is not an easy component to kill  (aside from static discharge), even with a failed PSU.  I mean, it's possible, but a common occurrence, definitely not. Sounds to me like an upsell on something you wouldn't even be able to benefit from. The Aurora R7 case is closed, so you wouldn't be able to see any flashing RGB lights on the RAM... money wasted there.  The R7 only supports up to DDR4 2933 Hyper X Fury RAM, so you buy anything faster that "gamers" may like, such as better timed Hyper X Predator, or faster 3466 Hyper X Fury, the computer either won't work at all, or it if it does work, the speed will get downclocked anyway so more money wasted.  The R7 ships with either Hyper X Fury 2933 (the max supported) or Micron/rebranded 2666 RAM (like 2% performance difference) and I would question the competency or motivations of any repair person telling you there's much better Gaming RAM for the R7.  

1 Message

January 23rd, 2021 04:00

No This isn’t normal. Just build your next pc. It’s cheaper and you avoid these manufacturers that cheap out on things to make a profit off you. Go to microcenter and have them build a computer for you or build it yourselves. If I was you, I would avoid prebuilt companies. That’s all I have. Have a good day

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 10:00

Hello @moxiejeff 

You can get plenty of help here to do the following:

• Move your OS to your HDD
  • take out your M2
  • put back in your M2
  • Move your OS back to your M2

Save you 2x$100  if you can spare some time.

First things is opening the side panel and show us a good view with a picture of all the insides, we can help you locate and remove the M2 when it gets to that stage.

As for moving the OS to HDD and back, I had a way that worked easily, others may have other ways. Would be nice to also see a picture of Disk Management --> Windows key, type disk management and take a pic

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 10:00

oh my, very old post was bumped  best stop here 

No Events found!