Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

10 Posts

March 27th, 2019 13:00

Aurora R8, BIOS 1.0.1 fails to install

The Alienware update service continues to prompt me to install a BIOS update. Through the msinfo32 command, I have been able to confirm my system in still at BIOS Version 1.0.0, 10/15/2018. Although on several occasions, the BIOS flash process seems to take place, upon restart I am still on the previous (original) BIOS version. I have also downloaded the BIOS update from the Dell support site and run it manually with the same results. More of a nuisance at this point but any help would be appreciated.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 28th, 2019 16:00

Hi @Fractolier

If the system is not having any issues, there is no need to update the BIOS.

10 Posts

March 29th, 2019 13:00

Even if the Alienware updater is labelling it as a critical update? I'm not sure I understand the ambiguity.

AuroraR8 BIOS.PNG

402 Posts

March 29th, 2019 14:00

Some BIOS updates address security issues.  So yes, BIOS updates can be necessary even if the computer is running correctly.

March 29th, 2019 21:00

I too have it fail to install. Tried several times, turned on and off overclocking, fails to change anything ... one thing unique is that i dual boot with legacy boot but i dont know why that would make a difference.

35 Posts

April 10th, 2019 20:00

Has anyone else that has had this problem figured out a work around yet?

I have the R8 with 1.0.0 BIOs

Downloaded 1.0.1 from the Dell site, and every time I try to update it, once I open the BIOs file and start the update, the computer just shuts down (You see the "Shutting Down" screen the same as if you do a regular shutdown from the start menu) and the BIO's does not update.

Already talked to Tech support about this and they said to try in the "Bios flash" menu, which is found by pressing F12 when you start the computer and select BIO's flash.

They told me to have the BIO's update on a USB drive and you can update the BIOs from the USB drive once in that "BIo's flash" menu, after hitting F12 when starting up the comp.

However, this option is not availilbe for me in the BIOs flash menu,

Can anyone help or figured out another way to do it/

Thank you

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 10th, 2019 22:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

1. they said to try in the "Bios flash" menu, which is found by pressing F12 when you start the computer and select BIOS flash.

2. However, this option is not available for me in the BIOS flash menu,

1. Correct

2. Strange. Is Aurora-R8 in UEFI Mode ?

No Events found!