Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 09:00

Aurora R8, Experience of Buying

My Alienware Aurora R8 experience

It has been 95 days since I hit the "order" button and at this point, I am glad to say that I am happy with my purchase of the R8. My decision to buy an Alienware desktop started a month before that when I bought another Dell system, an Optiplex 27" AIO with i7 8700 and GTX 1050. At that time, my plan was to use the PC mainly as a surfing/ email machine with some additional juice to run games like Forza Horizon 4. Long story short, that plan fell apart and I decided I needed something that I can have a little bit more control over. Enter the desktop PC.
I've been over to several BYO websites like wepc and pcgamer to look at building my own rig but like many of us here observed, Dell's solution are usually cheaper... provided you're willing to live with what it means to deal with the many colorful issues we see in this forum.

Configured my system as below (trimmed to show the main parts):
1 210-ARGS Alienware Aurora R8
1 801-1540 Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year
1 490-BEUO AMD Radeon RX 560X with 4GB GDDR5
1 321-BDXH 850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
1 801-1493 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
1 570-AACN Alienware Mouse Is Not Included
1 580-ABUI Keyboard Not Included
1 555-BDBY 802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth
1 400-AMXY 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (64MB Cache)
1 370-ADUC 8GB, DDR4 2666MHz
1 619-AHCQ Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
1 338-BSDW 9th Gen Intel Core i5-9400 (6-Core/6-Thread 9M Cache,4.1GHz Processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

The order was placed about a week before a US holiday so I was wary of a price drop. However, there was a good 15% discount and that takes a big chunk out of the 850W PSU + liquid cooling upgrade. Total damage is $875 + $76 in tax. I also have DFS account with 12 month interest-free payment and 6% reward.

Like many of you AW owners, waiting for the PC to arrive was a practice of patience. Initially the system showed that it will take ~10 days for it to arrive. I reached out to order support via chat and the rep was very helpful in explaining that other than ready-to-ship AW (like the tons of outlet R7s), most AW systems are built after order received. He did mention he will put a note that we chatted about my wait time concern. I didn't expect that to change anything until 2 days later, I was notified the system was shipped! And 2 days after that, a huge brown box with an alien head sat on my front porch. Without any signature required. Thanks UPS!

Unboxing the system brought me back to my first Dell which was a 17" laptop bought as a college graduation gift in 2003. As I plugged the cables and powered on the system, everything was flawless. Including Cortana's 90dB "HELLO". Ran Heaven benchmark just to get some numbers on the RX560 before shutting down the system and adding/ replacing the following:

WD Blue 1 TB HDD --> Crucial P1 500GB SSD [$61]
RX560X --> MSI RX580 Armor OC 8GB [$160 after $20 rebate]

Reinstalled Win10 with the image from Dell's recovery tool on the SSD. Everything worked great after that until the day I decided to upgrade my RAM...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 17:00

@GTS81    You're welcome (for the lost productivity.)

Thank You so much.

What is the status of the i9-10980XE CPU? I thought that was coming out end of November?

2.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 17:00

Consistently out of stock. No chance to own one unless if your name is Linus or Jay.

2.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 19:00

@Anonymous :

I searched online forums and seems like it isn't even for sale yet. Better put yourself on notification waitlist on a few usual sites so that you can nab one as soon as it is available. January is drawing near. 

BTW friends, I'm off to virtual dream build now that I've purchased "PC Building Simulator" from Steam's Winter Sale. 

798 Posts

December 21st, 2019 11:00

Removed the upper support  arm last night with tin snips.

So now you lift the PSU bracket up instead of swinging it.  There are guide points on the upper frame, upper rear and lower rear to fit in the bracket back in position.   So being able to remove it and put it back in place is still easy.   I would flip it over and rest it on the front side of the machine with some protection for the front bezel if still in place.  Cables would still be connected to the motherboard but any cable ties would likely have to be removed to get the length you need.

When installed I can lean my upper body weight onto the PSU bracket so there is no risk of  dropping down onto the motherboard.  It is fairly stable in that regard. 

However  the upper part of the bracket will lift because the set screw for the 123 cross bar does not actually screw into the upper frame.  So what you would need to do is put a screw somewhere left of the 123 set screw into the upper flange to secure the bracket  to the chassis.    I used a punch to create a mark where I would put the screw..

You would need either a short self tapping machine screw or a 7/64 tap drill to create threads on the upper frame of the chassis for the 6-32 screws used in the computer.    

You would need to put a slightly larger hole 9/64 in the PSU bracket flange to run the screw through to fasten to the upper chassis frame where you created the threaded hole.  It needs to be short like the 6-32 screw on the 1 2 3 bracket because the square black pull on the upper back that releases the side of the computer is a piece of plastic that runs and slides along the upper frame of the chassis. 

Just add a screw and it should be stable for an attempt at a 240mm front radiator.  Not too hard a mod really.  Might have to cut the cross bar off for the hoses,  but you wouldn’t want to cut off too much of the PSU bracket where the 123 cross bar fits.  It does add some stability.

Would duct tape work to hold secure the flange instead of a screw.....yes likely.  Once the side is on the computer the PSU bracket is stable.  There are some that might just do that instead if you didn't want to drill.

Will add some pics later and walkthrough. the new iOS update messed up my import pictures function.

2.2K Posts

December 21st, 2019 12:00

@HanoverB :

You would need either a short self tapping machine screw or a 7/64 tap drill to create threads on the upper frame of the chassis for the 6-32 screws used in the computer.    

You would need to put a slightly larger hole 9/64 in the PSU bracket flange to run the screw through to fasten to the upper chassis frame where you created the threaded hole.  It needs to be short like the 6-32 screw on the 1 2 3 bracket because the square black pull on the upper back that releases the side of the computer is a piece of plastic that runs and slides along the upper frame of the chassis

Thank you so much for this. I was wondering if driving screws through to the main chassis would interfere with the panel release mechanism.

Going to 240mm radiator for my CPU would mean I need to revisit the stripped screw on the AIO cooler. Maybe it's time to get one of those stripped-screw-destroyer bit and say good riddance to the Alienhead. However, there's a risk I'm going to take my motherboard and/or CPU out with it too. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 21st, 2019 16:00

@Anonymous I watched a bunch of youtube vids and I am getting a better feel for the C700M and 1000D,

20191221_134819.jpg

Can you picture what it would look like under a Christmas tree?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 21st, 2019 17:00

On a related note, the thermaltake open air case looks really tacky and flimsy in person.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2019 21:00

@r72019   Can you picture what it would look like under a Christmas tree?

I can't see your photo yet, and it will be sometime after Christmas when Santa comes (2020), but in my imagination I am picturing something like this

Obsidian 1000D with clearances.jpg

2.2K Posts

December 21st, 2019 23:00

Bringing all of our imaginations one step closer to reality:

This PC Building Simulator is really a conspiracy to trap us all into becoming full time rig modders/ builders.

Here's my Dream Build (sort of settled with the Dark Base Pro Rev. 2 Orange).

Dark Base Pro Rev 2.png

Although MSI motherboards are available, the Creation X299 is not. So I picked a similarly large board. With the DBP R2 case, it takes up a good amount of space, and the rest is well used by custom loop. The simulator is a watered down version of reality because many things like case modularity which this one is particularly strong in, isn't available. Limit is 1 pump+reservoir per rig. So can't do any parallel loops here. No distro plate either.

Then I spent the rest of the evening "building" @Anonymous 's Dream Build. Look at the difference in empty space left!  Too bad there isn't a 480mm radiator choice. And somehow a 3rd radiator on top isn't allowed so I just stuck 3x LL140s there.Corsair Obsidian 100D Off.png

Even spent some time with the "RGB Color" software to suit your favorite color my friend.Corsair Obsidian 100D On.png

798 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 04:00

Snips

IMG_4907.jpg

Cut done, back in chassis no support arms

IMG_4913.jpg

Lift PSU bracket from case and flip to front to do any work on the machine.  Protect front bezel if in place.

IMG_4918.jpg

Upper part of bracket not stable, and can be lifted.  Little too much play even if side panel is on.  Potential for noise, vibration.  

IMG_4916.jpg

Location of hole I drilled, went through both bracket and chassis together.   Used a punch first.  The most important thing is to make sure you tape the bracket in place as it will move while you are drilling.  I used a drill bit that just barely fits through the screw hole in the 123 cross bar.

Taped and using drill.

IMG_4931.jpg

6-32 Screw in place as a safety precaution..  What I found was that one of the 6-32 screws in the machine will create its own threads as the chassis metal is so soft.   Screw it first time is tight, then once you back it out, it becomes much easier..  Nice to see this happen.  (Zip tie safety option here)

IMG_4944.jpg

End result is that it is stable with the safety screw in place.  A little wiggle present, but not bad at all.

The side panel is still able to open and close.  With the side panel in place the PSU bracket is fairly stable.  At least on the XPS 8930, the inside of the side panel rests very close to the 123 support bracket and the PSU.  Also the back edge of the side panel wraps over the PSU.  To prevent any vibration, I would put a rubber bumper or piece of felt with adhesive, on either the side panel at the location of the 123 bracket or on that 123 bracket itself.  The side panel would lock that PSU bracket even more snugly in position.

You can see on this pic there are two foam squares already on the side panel as it came from Dell to dampen vibration of the side panel and bracket.  I added a piece of adhesive backed felt where the 123 cross bracket is for more stability.

IMG_4958.jpg

Front of chassis is now wide open.    Thinking bottom section of 240mm radiator and fan would be in line with lower chassis grill work and that the upper 2/3 of the top section of the radiator would get decent airflow.  Could do some additional cutting to get airflow to the null area in between. I will get the empty case out with front lower grill work removed and see how easy it would be to remove a bit more of the sheet metal in the middle between the two grill areas.

IMG_4947.JPG

Blue tape on ruler represents 275mm dimension of typical 240mm AIO.  Can see the grillwork relative to approximate radiator and fan positions.  Upper 20 mm will be hoses and upper radiator fittings, lower 15mm is bottom of radiator.

IMG_4953.jpg

Corsair H100i Pro RGB,  same rotating barbs on pump as H60, same fans, pump installs same way. set up for LGA 1151 socket from factory, pump power from SATA., tach cable optional.  Would need USB port if you want to monitor pump speed, fan speeds, lighting of head changes.  So bring in a USB to micro-USB cable (to pump head) from one of the rear ports. Or connect both fans to motherboard fan header and bypass since you have AWCC,

H100i RGB Platinum version comes with ML120 Pro RGB fans

-CW-9060033-WW-Gallery-H100i-Pro-02.png

Only issue I see is these two areas are slightly raised inside the case.  Even with them there they should still allow you to use a 25mm fan in pull position inside the radiator at the upper intake. It was fine on the XPS 8930 CPU AIO install at that location.  Would need to check before cutting anything away.  @rwgordon cut those sections away here..  Ray kept the grillwork at that upper position because the bezel locks into the large hole there.  But cutting away just that lower raised area on the right would get more air to the upper radiator position..

IMG_4953 Flush.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 08:00

@GTS81   Then I spent the rest of the evening "building" @Dell630i 's Dream Build. Look at the difference in empty space left!

That is a pretty awesome toy. We can save a lot of money just creating virtual 'Dream Builds'.

Not sure how you got your photos to post, when many are still in the eternity hold?

I would like to do a single 420mm radiator up top, but when my photo is mod approved, you will see that, with my very rough scaling, I could only fit a 360mm with push/pull fans. However, I know that aznsniper911 did his build with four 480mm radiators and push/pull fans, so still working that out. Also, at this juncture, I am planning to do 3 separate loops, so measuring for pumps, pump tops, and reservoirs                    (click to embiggen)

image.png

image.png

2.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 09:00

@Anonymous :

Seems that your pics are taking a little longer to get approved. I was wondering if it’s due to the PSU cage in dustbin pic that put you on a watch list but @r72019 @has something similar too yet his pic from Micro Center got approved.

@r72019 :

If you took that pic and love near a micro center, all I have to say is LUCKY YOU! You will end up buying too many “fans”.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 09:00

@r72019   Can you picture . . .

OK . . . your photo is visible . . . so the case is tall, w  i  d  e, and fat 

We do not have Micro Center in TN. Thanks for sharing

. . . wishing a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season to all!

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 10:00

I don't live by microcenter, but this one's next to an airport I fly to often and I had some time to burn.  They had a lot of cases on display.  Instead of the P series, the Thermaltake View 71 rgb looks pretty cool with lots of viewing angles.  Their actual fan selection wasn't very good, they only had a couple 120mm noctuas and a lot of brands that I've never heard of. This is the open air P series I didn't like so much.

20191221_133551.jpg

798 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 11:00

@GTS81 

Added comment of raised area inside front chassis in previous post.  Also @rwgordon cuts shown, if necessary, of null area which would help with airflow..

At least you have the option of the 240mm radiator going forward as you continue with your mods.

Carry on!

No Events found!