Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 09:00

Aurora R8, Experience of Buying

My Alienware Aurora R8 experience

It has been 95 days since I hit the "order" button and at this point, I am glad to say that I am happy with my purchase of the R8. My decision to buy an Alienware desktop started a month before that when I bought another Dell system, an Optiplex 27" AIO with i7 8700 and GTX 1050. At that time, my plan was to use the PC mainly as a surfing/ email machine with some additional juice to run games like Forza Horizon 4. Long story short, that plan fell apart and I decided I needed something that I can have a little bit more control over. Enter the desktop PC.
I've been over to several BYO websites like wepc and pcgamer to look at building my own rig but like many of us here observed, Dell's solution are usually cheaper... provided you're willing to live with what it means to deal with the many colorful issues we see in this forum.

Configured my system as below (trimmed to show the main parts):
1 210-ARGS Alienware Aurora R8
1 801-1540 Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year
1 490-BEUO AMD Radeon RX 560X with 4GB GDDR5
1 321-BDXH 850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
1 801-1493 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
1 570-AACN Alienware Mouse Is Not Included
1 580-ABUI Keyboard Not Included
1 555-BDBY 802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth
1 400-AMXY 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (64MB Cache)
1 370-ADUC 8GB, DDR4 2666MHz
1 619-AHCQ Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
1 338-BSDW 9th Gen Intel Core i5-9400 (6-Core/6-Thread 9M Cache,4.1GHz Processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

The order was placed about a week before a US holiday so I was wary of a price drop. However, there was a good 15% discount and that takes a big chunk out of the 850W PSU + liquid cooling upgrade. Total damage is $875 + $76 in tax. I also have DFS account with 12 month interest-free payment and 6% reward.

Like many of you AW owners, waiting for the PC to arrive was a practice of patience. Initially the system showed that it will take ~10 days for it to arrive. I reached out to order support via chat and the rep was very helpful in explaining that other than ready-to-ship AW (like the tons of outlet R7s), most AW systems are built after order received. He did mention he will put a note that we chatted about my wait time concern. I didn't expect that to change anything until 2 days later, I was notified the system was shipped! And 2 days after that, a huge brown box with an alien head sat on my front porch. Without any signature required. Thanks UPS!

Unboxing the system brought me back to my first Dell which was a 17" laptop bought as a college graduation gift in 2003. As I plugged the cables and powered on the system, everything was flawless. Including Cortana's 90dB "HELLO". Ran Heaven benchmark just to get some numbers on the RX560 before shutting down the system and adding/ replacing the following:

WD Blue 1 TB HDD --> Crucial P1 500GB SSD [$61]
RX560X --> MSI RX580 Armor OC 8GB [$160 after $20 rebate]

Reinstalled Win10 with the image from Dell's recovery tool on the SSD. Everything worked great after that until the day I decided to upgrade my RAM...

2.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 12:00

So... I've just gone "928 hunting" and here's what I found out (that you probably have as well):

1. Jayztwocents has one.

2. It costs $999 retail when available in May 2019.

3. InWin says it is out of production.

4. People are begging for it right up to 2 weeks ago.

5. People are speculating a 928 refresh in CES, that InWin would not confirm nor deny.

6. InWin will have a CES Booth in LV this year.

Sources: The company's Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Woke up this morning to this itch to move to a Z390 motherboard and new casing. Is there a PC-building-addict Anonymous help group I can join?

EDIT: The saddest thing of all is I'm modding and building my PC which I then play "PC Building Simulator" on it. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 19:00

@GTS81    If you can move your build timeframe to June . . .

I'd like to get started soon . . . but may still be going in June waiting for Intel Core i9-10980XE  

I think I will probably go for that InWin 925, and figure it all out after it is sitting in front of me, but a few more days of searching before I pull the trigger

2.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 20:00

@Anonymous :

If you compare the 925 with the C700M, doesn't the C700M come out to be bigger and supporting 2x 420mm rads compared to the 2x 360mm rads in the InWin?

I actually found one seller in a south east Asian country that has a 928 for sale (and a few having the 909 in stock ) but I don't feel comfortable doing such a big transaction virtually. At $1000, the selling price converted to the local currency is 4.5k which is more than what most fresh undergrads earns monthly. I will be back there for a short visit end of this year. Seems that certain tech parts like Galax 2080 Ti can be bought there. I'd just have to be very careful buying stuff there due to counterfeits and unscrupulous sellers ripping off unsuspecting buyers. Especially if they smell US Dollars coming from you. 

Now, should I pick up the phone and call InWin Taiwan?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 20:00

@GTS81   doesn't the C700M come out to be bigger and supporting 2x 420mm rads compared to the 2x 360mm rads in the InWin?

This is true. Also, the C700M claims a 240mm in the basement. In Win 925 looks more interesting to me (for the moment). It appears to be built solid, where the C700M is built like a toy, so it could be more modular and flipped around and have much optionality. I need to get a better look at the In Win fan trays. From a 928 YouTube vid I as watching, it appeared to be set up in such a way that the top rad fans could only be exhaust, and I like blowing fresh air through radiators. Still lookin'

2.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 21:00

@Anonymous :

It appears to be built solid, where the C700M is built like a toy, so it could be more modular and flipped around and have much optionality.

I'd like to think of it the other way around. The 925 looks quite rigid in design and uses up so much for the thickness of the frame such that the internal real estate gets shaved away. Where the thick bars are wrapped by the aluminium panel, if they are reduced by 1/2, you'd get some really beefy radiators into the casing.

Of course I'm biased here because I love modular case design. Favorite so far is the Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 which has been touted as one of the most modular cases around. 

2.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2020 10:00

@Anonymous :

Look what I stumbled upon:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raijinteks-eris-evo-case-accommodates-8-feet-of-radiators

https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=124

And there's some stock for stuff across the pond. Unfortunately the 928 comes up as "exceeding maximum weight for shipment" 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/in-win-928-full-tower-gaming-case-black-ca-08l-iw.html

EDIT: That overclockers UK site is killing my productivity! Check this build based on the Lian-Li PC-V3000 out:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/rFr6Mp

"I want to build a beautiful monster gaming PC and I want to document my process to share with others to give back for all the great builds others have made. As such, I created this youtube channel to document a noob building a custom PC. "

And look where he found his machine shop. I think these guys will become your new best friends:

https://clockwerkindustries.com/index.php/about-us/

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2020 17:00

@GTS81    Look what I stumbled upon:

That rainjacket eris evo is kinda ugly, in my opinion . . . plus, I can get more rads on my motorcycle frame

In Win 928 seems to be available everywhere but USA

Check this build based on the Lian-Li PC-V3000 out:

wow, super nice . . .those Bitspower fittings are like $30 . . . each . . . there is several thousands of dollars in just fittings in that build

2.2K Posts

January 4th, 2020 22:00

Alright guys, more dremeling today.

Gotta remove those bits at the top if I want the fan to be dead center of chassis.Gotta remove those bits at the top if I want the fan to be dead center of chassis.

Basically it is so that I can sit the fan flush against the radiator and still have it centered in the bezel. So it's down to making small cuts on the side to widen the earlier hole.

@HanoverB mentioned some time back that I should see if trimming the bezel can help with airflow to the top front of the chassis. I decided to do this:

IMG_7943.jpg IMG_7945.jpg

Tried one more time with the ML120 Pro. Nope, still no luck fitting it there despite being in the center of the bezel. I even removed the rubber edges to shave off a millimeter from the thickness.

IMG_7947.jpg

Current temps in Furmark with 120x15mm fan = 54-55C. I think I'm ready to call this done. Time to plan a Comet Lake build for end of this year. Unless Team Blue gives a pleasant surprise on their HEDT platform roadmap in CES (I'll take nothing less than we-will-kick-TR3-ayyessess), I'll stick to client CPU for the foreseeable future.

798 Posts

January 5th, 2020 07:00

Check this out:

Nocuta NF-A12 x 15mm black slim fan.........no more ugly fan

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap 

nf_a12_15_chromax_black_1_1.jpg

798 Posts

January 5th, 2020 08:00

Good job with the Dremel and those temps are great.

Centering the fan on the chassis takes a lot more work and measuring, I had to do it for the blowhole in the XPS 8930.

Was the issue the temps with the fan slightly offset or the fan wouldn't fit under the front bezel with the offset placement?  Or just min/max experimenting for better GPU temps?

2.2K Posts

January 5th, 2020 09:00

@HanoverB :

Was the issue the temps with the fan slightly offset or the fan wouldn't fit under the front bezel with the offset placement?  Or just min/max experimenting for better GPU temps?

It was a little bit of both. If you looked at the picture of the inside of the front bezel I posted, those 2 vertical plastic pieces are just a mm or two wider than the width of a 120mm fan. So that means only 1 place for the fan to rest in. Before this latest mod, the right side of the 120x15mm fan was overlapping with the inner bezel piece leading to the bezel slightly pushing back the fan towards the radiator and tilting it inward a little.

And as I know that the theoretical limit is 50C thanks to the open rad test you recommended me to do, I wanted to see if a purely orthogonal airflow can bring me nearer to that.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 5th, 2020 16:00

Now I can't even see my own comments. 

Edit:  Figured it out.  It seems Dell reversed the order in which posts appear, from oldest first, to newest first.  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 5th, 2020 16:00

Is it just me, or is Dell's website only showing comment replies to threads, but not the original posts? 

dell page.png

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 6th, 2020 10:00

@GTS81   MSI Z390 MEG ACE

Why no X299

2.2K Posts

January 6th, 2020 10:00

@Anonymous / @HanoverB / @r72019 / @coldfish_91 / @amstel78 :

I've started moving over to the new build, maybe a little sooner, but like @r72019 said better to be sooner if I plan to sell off the R8. I'm going to put back most of the original R8 parts, give it a new chassis using the R6 (it was new from auction site seller) but with the R8 top (type-C) and bottom bezels (service tag sticker), and put it out on auction. I'll consider it a win if I can get a final price to cover the cost of a i9-9900K. Otherwise I'll probably use the machine for desktop use, surfing and posting on this forum, until it is time for me to cross the ocean and bring it with me as a replacement machine for my dad's DIY Sandy Bridge.

So what's my new build? Generally this:

MSI Z390 MEG ACE - Egg shop snagged me this morning with BF price. Helps that my first choice which was the Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi is OOS both at Egg shop and big online retailer. Cost covered by cashback points from buying wife's XPS laptop (15% during Cyber Monday).

Be Quiet! DBP Rev. 2 - Waiting for big online retailer gift cards to be mailed to me for credit card points redemption.

My PSU, 2080 Super, SSD, RAM all comes from the R8 as they were previously upgrades.

I think I have more than enough sleeving and wires + terminals for the custom cabling.

It's gonna be an AIO rig, maybe with a h150i/ x72 for CPU until I pony up more cashback/ $$ for EK stuff.

No Events found!