Closed

G

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 09:00

Aurora R8, Experience of Buying

My Alienware Aurora R8 experience

It has been 95 days since I hit the "order" button and at this point, I am glad to say that I am happy with my purchase of the R8. My decision to buy an Alienware desktop started a month before that when I bought another Dell system, an Optiplex 27" AIO with i7 8700 and GTX 1050. At that time, my plan was to use the PC mainly as a surfing/ email machine with some additional juice to run games like Forza Horizon 4. Long story short, that plan fell apart and I decided I needed something that I can have a little bit more control over. Enter the desktop PC.
I've been over to several BYO websites like wepc and pcgamer to look at building my own rig but like many of us here observed, Dell's solution are usually cheaper... provided you're willing to live with what it means to deal with the many colorful issues we see in this forum.

Configured my system as below (trimmed to show the main parts):
1 210-ARGS Alienware Aurora R8
1 801-1540 Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year
1 490-BEUO AMD Radeon RX 560X with 4GB GDDR5
1 321-BDXH 850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
1 801-1493 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
1 570-AACN Alienware Mouse Is Not Included
1 580-ABUI Keyboard Not Included
1 555-BDBY 802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth
1 400-AMXY 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (64MB Cache)
1 370-ADUC 8GB, DDR4 2666MHz
1 619-AHCQ Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
1 338-BSDW 9th Gen Intel Core i5-9400 (6-Core/6-Thread 9M Cache,4.1GHz Processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

The order was placed about a week before a US holiday so I was wary of a price drop. However, there was a good 15% discount and that takes a big chunk out of the 850W PSU + liquid cooling upgrade. Total damage is $875 + $76 in tax. I also have DFS account with 12 month interest-free payment and 6% reward.

Like many of you AW owners, waiting for the PC to arrive was a practice of patience. Initially the system showed that it will take ~10 days for it to arrive. I reached out to order support via chat and the rep was very helpful in explaining that other than ready-to-ship AW (like the tons of outlet R7s), most AW systems are built after order received. He did mention he will put a note that we chatted about my wait time concern. I didn't expect that to change anything until 2 days later, I was notified the system was shipped! And 2 days after that, a huge brown box with an alien head sat on my front porch. Without any signature required. Thanks UPS!

Unboxing the system brought me back to my first Dell which was a 17" laptop bought as a college graduation gift in 2003. As I plugged the cables and powered on the system, everything was flawless. Including Cortana's 90dB "HELLO". Ran Heaven benchmark just to get some numbers on the RX560 before shutting down the system and adding/ replacing the following:

WD Blue 1 TB HDD --> Crucial P1 500GB SSD [$61]
RX560X --> MSI RX580 Armor OC 8GB [$160 after $20 rebate]

Reinstalled Win10 with the image from Dell's recovery tool on the SSD. Everything worked great after that until the day I decided to upgrade my RAM...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 29th, 2020 20:00

@GTS81   I cannot use them because the back logo would be facing inside the orange julius when they are pull fans and the cable is routed out the wrong side!  

Rotate the fan with the wire oriented as you choose and stick one of these over the fan hub.

image.png

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

You’re asking me to paste some nursery kids stuff in my rig?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@GTS81 "You’re asking me to paste some nursery kids stuff in my rig?"

It would look like my living room walls: custom sticker, crayon, and crayola marker design. 

Which is why I have a gallon of matched paint from lowes on standby in the laundry room. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 29th, 2020 21:00

@r72019   Or, I have black and orange sharpies you can borrow. 

Or, we can take the nursery kids stuff and re-market it as "custom build high performance   super illusive modification emblems" 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@GTS81    You’re asking me to paste some nursery kids stuff in my rig?

But what if the came in Julius Orange?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Or, I have black and orange sharpies you can borrow.  

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

June 29th, 2020 22:00

@r72019 @Anonymous :

@r72019     Or, I have black and orange sharpies you can borrow. 

Or, we can take the nursery kids stuff and re-market it as "custom build high performance  back-asswards fan hub super illusive modification emblems"

Now we're talking! And 1 out of a 10000000 lucky customer will get a rare BOXED Intel 10980XE as part of our launch Giveaway! Yeah, Giveaways all the rage nowadays. You either enter and retweet/ follow like some crazy nut just to win some free stuff. Or you can win the genetics lottery and be a social media influencer.

BTW, I have a can of this shipped to me:

https://www.amazon.com/Montana-Black-400Ml-Pure-Orange/dp/B004W4AM30/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=montana+cans+orange&qid=1593494942&sr=8-1

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 15:00

@GTS81    BTW, I have a can of this shipped to me:

So . . . Pure Orange is the new Black 

This looks like it might fit

IMG_5151.JPG

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 16:00

@Anonymous :

So . . .  Pure Orange  is the new  Black

The "artisan paint" from I dunno... Montana? They have colored labels for their product range. Gold is for low pressure cans. Black is for high pressure cans. My search history is filled with "Montana Cans Black Black".

This looks like it might fit

FINALLY!!!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@GTS81    The "artisan paint" from I dunno... Montana? 

Yeah, I did some looking around on the web site link, and thought maybe I might try some of that 'artisan paint', but it was real confusing for me. I get the color thing. When I finally found a 400 ml matte black, the note read "usually ships within 2 to 3 months"

FINALLY!!!

Now I will have to get back to some serious work on the Cosmos. I may have mentioned that, due to heat, I moved my home office downstairs into my wife's former home office, where it is much cooler. I have a portable air conditioner for my office upstairs, which worked fine when I am working by myself. But since I have been working remote and doing a lot of Zoom meetings, apparently it is just too loud. Other people in the Zoom video conference would ask 'what the heck is that noise', 'is that a jet engine', 'who is at the airport' 

So anyway, Cosmos is still upstairs, and not constantly 4 feet away from me where I could glance over and dream up plans, all day long.  I need to do some tubing run tests/design, and start looking at cable and wiring routes.

I talked about getting three M.2 NVMe SSDs like this  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro  but @r72019  mentioned something about using up a lot of PCIe lanes (or some such thing).  So let me know what you think about that SSD brand and if getting three is a problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@GTS81   How's the processor like? Does the box smell new? Sealed?

The box appears to be sealed, and still is sealed. Everything looks bona fide, but I am going to wait just a bit to see if either of my other sources come through. If I needed to push a warranty issue with Intel, I think B&H or BLT would provide a cleaner route than eBay.

Probably will not be firing her up this weekend, but I hope to get a lot of work done toward that end.

IMG_5154.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

@Anonymous :

Oh gosh I'm so excited you finally can complete your Cosmos. How's the processor like? Does the box smell new? Sealed? Any plans for booting this week? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 17:00

@GTS81    Just got a message from Fedex that they delivered a package from PPCS today.

Aquacomputer Quadro

Black Ice 420mm Rad

Corsair ML120 Pro

MNPCTech Overkill Nautilus 420mm Rad Grill

. . . something special for your wife?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@GTS81    MNPCTech grill... well... that's a splurge too much.

So . . . by you NOT splurging on the MNPCTech grill . . . that is kinda like gifting something for your wife

I found these nursery school edits  

@r72019   Or, I have black and orange sharpies you can borrow. 

Or, we can take the nursery kids stuff and re-market it as "custom build high performance   super illusive modification emblems"

@r72019     Or, I have black and orange sharpies you can borrow. 

Or, we can take the nursery kids stuff and re-market it as "custom build high performance  back-asswards fan hub super illusive modification emblems"

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

Only the first is arriving in today's package.

Radiator is on Thursday.

1 fan is on Friday while the other 2 is in August.

MNPCTech grill... well... that's a splurge too much.

No Events found!