Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2021 04:00

Aurora R8, suddenly won't power on

Hi all,

Been using my Aurora R8 since December 2019 and have had no dramas with it until today.

This morning I powered it on as I usually do and used my PC for a few hours and turned it off for the day. All ran fine.

Went just now to power it on for some late night gaming and hitting the power button on the tower does nothing at all. Its like completely dead.

I pressed the little button at the back of the tower next to the power cord and I hear the fans power up and a green light comes on but soon as I let go of the button it shuts all down again.

Have tried removing the power cord from the wall socket and holding the power button down for 15-30 seconds and then reconnecting the power and trying but sadly no luck.

Really starting to freak out now at the moment as I dont know what has happened or what else I could do?

Has this ever happened to anyone before with the R8 or similar model?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2021 11:00

Dell Alienware is aware of the issue. Do not seek any part replacements.

Recommended workarounds from the Alienware Desktops team =

* For the time being, tapping the power button needs to be done each time that the computer is turned on
* Enable the Deep Sleep Control option in the BIOS =
Enter the BIOS setup screens by tapping the F2 key when the Dell splash screen appears
Browse Advanced
Go to Power Options and enable Deep Sleep Control
Exit the BIOS saving change

If I hear of any new data, I will update the Pinned post.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

October 24th, 2021 04:00

When you press the system power button do any of the fans turn on? Have you tried pressing the PSU button and the system power button at the same time, there have been posts stating that the system powered up with those steps. Check all the internal cables and also try reseating the RAM. I have seen RAM that is not fully seated cause a no POST and no fans. The most obvious would be a problem with the case power switch. You can also try disconnecting the power connections from the PSU to everything except the MB. If the system powers up then one of the components is the source of the problem. Connect power one at a time to those components until the no power condition returns.

86 Posts

October 24th, 2021 05:00

Thanks for the reply.

When I press the system power button (alienware head) nothing at all happens. Its like you don't even have it plugged into power at all.

Yep I did try pressing both the PSU button and the alienware head power button at the same but no difference. I hear the fans turn on but soon as i let go of the PSU button the fans shut down.

I dont know if I feel comfortable to go inside the PC. I've actually never opened the case up since I bought my Aurora. 

Service Manual. DELL-Chris M>

Today I didn't do anything beside play a few hours of Star Trek Online. The only thing I can think of is could possible updates have caused the problem? I do think Windows did some updates which required a restart and I noticed during the restart my PC turned on and off a few times in a row before it powered back on and through to Windows. I'm feeling that was a BIOS update perhaps now come to think of it? Also Dell Support Center was popping up with some driver updates etc. But all updates were completed in the morning and my PC was still on for at least 4-5 hours and it was working perfectly. Problem happened after I powered it down for about 7 hours and after that it will not turn it back on.

October 24th, 2021 10:00

I also have the R8 and since the recent Bios and AWCC updates. I've also begun to experience issues with the system no longer wanting to power on when power button is pressed.

86 Posts

October 24th, 2021 13:00

Ohh thats not good to hear

I normally dont do BIOS updates but for some reason Windows Update went and did the update on its own

4 Posts

October 24th, 2021 16:00

I just did the update and same thing. Spins up and then nothing.

86 Posts

October 24th, 2021 17:00

I have not tried that as of yet. Sorry to hear the CMOS didnt fix it either.

4 Posts

I just reset the cmos, no luck there either.

86 Posts

I beleive a firmware (BIOS) update has been done and it was auto forced through Windows Update which ive never seen happen before.

Shows in the history Firmware 0.1.0.17

So now i can not switch on my Aurora via the button anymore.

At the moment Dell support have told me to dis connect the power cable in the back, hold the power button for 25 seconds and while holding the power button insert the power cable in at the same time. This is the only way i can get the PC to power on at the moment.

They have tried to rollback the BIOS update but so far no luck.

Once i switch my PC off i can no longer turn it back on the tradtional normal way

5 Posts

Try Unplugging the computer, waiting like 10 seconds, and plugging it back in. BIOS updated pretty much did the same thing to my r10. Won't fix your problem, but your pc might at least turn on.

86 Posts

Sorry to hear you are having the same issues as me now.
i do feel like its from the most recent BIOS update that has caused this problem now.

86 Posts

October 24th, 2021 18:00

Ok so after some remote assistance via the Dell tech support we decided to start rolling back the BIOS firmware.

We tried both versions of 2020 and still no luck, installed version 1.0.9 which is December 2019. Switched the PC off and then I hit the power button and BAM it came to life

So far we have shut the PC down 3 times and all 3 times its successfully powered back on via the front power button.

Also was told that Windows Update should never have done the BIOS update through that app it self. It should have always been through the Dell Support App only.

I can not explain why its went through Windows automatically and neither could the tech support person. He said he would be passing on my information to the Dell Engineers. 

If anyone is having the same issue =
* I suggest giving a go to rolling back to the older BIOS firmware
* To power your PC up make sure you first unplug the power cord from the tower
* Hold down the power button for 25 seconds and while still holding the power button plug in the power cord
Each time I did this I was able to get the PC to power on and boot into Windows even when it still was suffering from the latest forced BIOS update.

I'm going to leave my PC on now for a few hours as i have some work to do and then switch it off. Hopefully tomorrow morning fingers crossed it will power on back normally as it always did.

Thanks to everyone for the replies as that helped when I passed the feedback to Dell showing similar/same issues were happening with other users.

1 Message

October 25th, 2021 13:00

Same issue here. I imagine this will be quite widespread. Most people will have no idea what to do, nor will they know how to properly find this discussion. Will spread this info on reddit.

Also to clarify, I indeed did have to insert the main power cable while holding the power button to get it to power on. 

86 Posts

October 25th, 2021 13:00

Thanks for helping to spread the word. Hopefully that i officially reported it and the info gets passes back to Dell's engineers they can somehow pull or stop the update from being forced installed so others won't suffer the same fate.

Looks like its spreading fast indeed and you are correct most people won't realise its from the update. For me i just caught a glimpse of it through the Windows Update that Alienware Firmware (BIOS) was automatically pushed through it. If i had not seen it i would have honestly thought i had a harder malfunction somewhere.

Correct yes you must be holding the power button down at the front and after 20/25 seconds plug in the power cord at the back and once the PC fires up let go of the power button then.

2 Posts

October 25th, 2021 16:00

I have the same issue after upgrading the bios to 1.0.17.  I discovered that if I quickly press the power button 3 times, my computer turns on.  Hope this helps until they fix this problem.

No Events found!