Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

13 Posts

December 24th, 2019 16:00

Aurora R8, super loud

https://youtu.be/xd04aihK6T0

I bought this Aurora R8 about 10 months ago, and I've been liking it until this started to happen. It first happened when I was playing RDR2 (Red Dead Redemption 2), and I understood it since RDR2 is one of the heaviest game right now. However, after that, I started hearing this crazy fan noise when I was playing games like StarCraft II, Overwatch, and even League of Legends. These games should not stress my computer that much, and definitely should not make my fan sound like it's about to take off. I've been trying to fix this myself, and I tried a bunch of fix suggestions you guys gave to other customers, but none of them worked. I need help right now.

Intel Core i9-9900k CPU
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 SLI
64GB RAM
Liquid cooled
BIOS 1.0.9

13 Posts

My GPU 1 reaches 83°C, way too hot. CPU is fine. The GPU 1 fan on the back is making the noise, although GPU 2 fan sometimes spikes up to 70% for a second or two. Unbelievable GPU temperature for a game that came out almost 10 years ago. Any suggestions?

Also, I tried to manage the fan speed using MSI Afterburner. It didn't really work.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Further information here and it might be a good idea to PM the Alienware moderator as shown in that forum thread.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@hyunwoo305   I bought this computer about 10 months ago

If your very nice rig was quiet for 10 months and suddenly got loud, either your hearing miraculously improved or something changed inside your computer. Can you tell which fan(s) are making all the noise? What do your temperatures look like? Did you reapply thermal paste to your CPU?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 25th, 2019 07:00

With a 9900k and 2x 2080 you basically have an oven with almost no airflow.

1.  The games you mentioned either don't support SLI RTX or wouldn't benefit from 2x 2080s.  Remove one of your GPUs from the PC, because the second one is holding you back and only adding heat and limiting airflow.

2.  Disable any overclock on the CPU, there is most likely insufficient cooling for this with a 120mm rad on the 9900k and you're being thermally throttled.  Or run your own tests to see temps and where you're getting throttled.

3.  Set custom fan curves and increase fan speed for intake and exhaust.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 25th, 2019 09:00

@hyunwoo305 wrote:

Aurora R8 about 10 months ago,

1. Intel Core i9-9900k CPU (Liquid cooled)

2. Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 SLI

3. crazy fan noise 

1. Machine is small, but Intel-i9 should still barely be ok since you got the Liquid-Cooling.

2. If you wanted TWO of these mac-daddy Nvidia cards, I think a larger Area51 case (or a custom build) would have been a better choice.

3. Sounds like your fan-curves are not set properly.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 25th, 2019 10:00

The thing is, if I understand correctly, @hyunwoo305  said the computer was 'quiet' for the first 10 months. Could a graphics card fan bearing have gone bad . . . or the thermal paste on the GPU?

2.2K Posts

December 25th, 2019 12:00

@hyunwoo305 :

For the first 10 months or so, did you play RDR2? Or ran anything else that would tax the CPU/ GPU to ramp the fan(s) up?

If the issue is specific to RDR2, I’d also recommend checking what is the SLI compatibility of the game. If your game isn’t SLI compatible, all it does is tax your main 2080S while the other 2080S remains idle and becomes a heat insulator for the main card, heating up the entire rig. You may also want to unplug the secondary card and see if things improve. If you have done that in the video, that’s ok.

5 Posts

February 8th, 2021 11:00

Hello I have a 2080 blower gpu in my r8 alienware and suddenly my gpu would rev up to an unbearable sound. I fixed the problem by lowering my gpu thermal limit in awcc to 81c instead of the original 83c. I've used msi afterburn to track my thermals before and setting a curve didn't help with the revving sound. I've spent many of nights trying things and the only thing that helps Is lowering the thermal or gpu power to 95/90. But lowering the thermal to 81c seems the best approach.

568 Posts

February 8th, 2021 12:00

Hello @Yako666 

This would suggest you are running your GPU at 81° all the time, first candidate causing this problem is FPS not limited to your setup.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 8th, 2021 21:00

Alienware Aurora-R8 with Nvidia 2080 blower gpu 

I fixed the problem by lowering my gpu thermal limit in awcc to 81c instead of the original 83c.

I've used msi afterburn to track my thermals before and setting a curve didn't help with the revving sound.

==================

Might be a software conflict. I suggest you only use one software on each sub-component.

Use MSI AfterBurner to control the GPU and its fans (the fan(s) on the video-card itself).

Only use AW-CC to control the Aurora-R8's FRONT FAN (or it's other fans).

No Events found!