Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2020 18:00

Aurora R9, AWCC, white screen

Recently AWCC (Alienware Command Center) (ver 09DV0_WIN_5.2.97.0_A00) starts with the white screen and then just crashes.  It seems to have happened after the last Windows update of 10/14/20. I've uninstalled and reinstalled AWCC and OC Controls several times, including the regedit changes and folder deletion described here:

https://pokde.net/system/alienware-command-center-not-launching-heres-how-to-fix-it

After the reinstalls, AWCC briefly shows my games with the spinning dots circle, then goes white.

BIOS is up to date. Odd thing is that Task Manager doesn't show AWCC running even while the "white screen" is showing.

Anyone here experience this or have advice.  Thanks in advance.

Dave

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2020 15:00

What about the BIOS?

Looks like Alienware Command Center Service is not running. Normally, Services start and run with Windows-Startup (not when the App runs). Check it in Services.

Personally, I would temporarily:
- Uninstall Norton and Malware Bytes
- Re-Enable Windows Defender
- Re-Enable Windows Firewall (could actually leave disabled for this little test now if behind a decent router).

Uninstall whatever app or process that is making those Widgets run on the Windows-10 desktop.

14 Posts

October 17th, 2020 09:00

Imagine my surprise!  You might be a genius.  After uninstalling the desktop gadgets, I did a cold restart with pulling all the plugs, including the powered usb hubs.

Launched AWCC and it worked!  Dell owes you much respect as do I.  I can't be sure, but I think it was the gadgets, not the cold boot.  I'm glad I didn't reinstall windows (I've never taken that advice)

Again MANY thanks.

Dave

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2020 12:00

Aurora-R9 should take that one. Try clean-install again of v5.2.97.0, A00 .

- But be sure any Anti-Virus is disabled. Are you running McAfee? 

- Also be sure to reboot when told to and often.

- Are you running the latest BIOS.

If that doesn't work, uninstall, reboot and try an older version, like  5.2.75.0, A00 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

While ePSA (F12 on boot) doesn't fully test the MIO-Circuit outside-of-Windows... it does tell you if the pump and fan are being read properly. Pretty sure, that is a pre-requisite for the AW-CC initializing properly. 

14 Posts

October 16th, 2020 13:00

Did the F12 test and all is OK, no faults.  I had tried this morning to install the version just previous to the current one, but with the same result.

So we wait.  Thanks

Dave

14 Posts

October 16th, 2020 13:00

Thanks.  I'm running Norton and Malwarebytes. (yes they seem to get along).  But just to be sure I disabled both and got the same white screen.  So while both Norton and Mal were off, I uninstalled and reinstalled AWCC and OC controls.  Same result, white screen.  After a reboot, AWCC is not shown as a background process; when I first launch AWCC it shows my games screen and the spinning blue dots for a short time, then goes to white screen.  I've been back and forth with Dell today and still not joy with them.  I could give up on AWCC if I could find another app to control the top and case fans.

Desktop Screenshot 2020.10.16 - 13.10.48.15.png

14 Posts

October 17th, 2020 08:00

Thanks for the reply.  The bios is 1.0.9. I got rid of the widgets.  I set AWCC to automatic in Services.  It was set to automatic delay start. I will try uninstalling virus software, uninstalling AWCC (with the regedit fixes) and reinstalling.  Looks like Dell has given up because they're telling me to reinstall windows.  I can't take the time right now to reinstall all of my apps and games; seems like I always lose a few when that's done.  Also, it means that Dell can't solve the problem.  I am disappointed because I've been a Dell user for a long time.  If I'm going to reinstall all apps, I think I'll do that on another brand of machine (might build one). If I can't get this worked out, I think this will be my last Dell.

If I reinstall windows, it's still possible that AWCC won't work or will quit working.

If AWCC is running in the background, will it still control case fans in auto mode, which it was set to when AWCC quit working right?  I can't seem to find fan settings in the bios.  I can control the video card fan with MSI afterburner but can't seem to find software that will control the case fans.  Do you know of any?

Many thanks,

Dave

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 17th, 2020 16:00

Glad I could help.

So, if Alienware Command Center starts acting up, it seems to help to make system hardware and software config as standard as possible ... before clean-installing latest proper validated version of AW-CC for that particular machine.

Not sure if it's because it's developed in Microsoft Dot-Net, or the fact that it controls many different things (with it's custom background Services and Processes), but occasionally ... there is a system compatibility problem that prevents it from installing, initializing, or generally running properly. 

But in 10-years, it's only been reported here on the forum a handful of times. I do remember one of the first times (during Windows-7 days) was a conflict with iTunes.

No Events found!