Bmwpower603
3 Argentium

Aurora R9, GPU fan, max ram speed

I’ve had my r9 for 2 months now. And have really enjoyed it. But I’ve run into a problem with my video card. When playing sea of thieves, I notice when the GPU temps eclipses 80c the GPU fan comes on at a very high RPM. It happens almost every minute or two when the temperature fluctuates. I did some research, and people say that the issue is thermal paste. (I’d try and re-apply it if I could find a video of the same exact blower type 2080ti tear down) If not I’ll contact dell. I have found a way to stop the fan from going very loud, and that is to make a custom OC setting in AWCC that doesn’t allow temps to eclipse 78c. Note, other games that go over 80c do not make the fan RPM to become erratic. Just sea of thieves. Also, does anyone know what the maximum RAM speed is for this motherboard? I have 2660 which is probably a problem... 

https://youtu.be/mQb_m8AZ4g4

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Re: R9 GPU fan + R9 max ram speed

@Bmwpower603    I’d try and re-apply it if I could find a video of the same exact blower type 2080ti tear down

Not sure if you have seen this video, but it is an 'attempted' tear down of the RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition card with the 'vapor chamber' cooling. Not to difficult to get it down to where you would need to be for new thermal paste, but there are a lot of screws. This guy actually gives up trying to get it apart in the video, but a link is posted below the vid where they eventually figured it out at some later time.

RTX 2080 Ti Founder's Edition tear down 

0 Kudos
Bmwpower603
3 Argentium

Thank you for that. 

Do you know if 3600 speed ram will work on this MB?

I was told that my Gaming experience / video could be bottlenecking due to slow ram. 

0 Kudos
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Bmwpower603   Do you know if 3600 speed ram will work on this MB?

I don't think so. According to this link, the i9-9900K will support DDR4-2666

Intel i9-9900K 

Seeing as it is coupled with a Dell mobo and BIOS, I can only imagine it being throttled from there.

0 Kudos
Bmwpower603
3 Argentium

I think dell sells these r9s with faster RAM though. 

So the MB is a z390?

0 Kudos
GTS81
4 Tellurium

Per Dell's datasheet posted on their support site, the MB is z370.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/alienware-aurora-r9-desktop/alienware-aurora-r9-setup-...

Here are the supported DDR memories from the same datasheet:

• 8 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 16 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 32 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 64 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 16 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 32 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 64 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 16 GB XMP at 3200 MHz
  • 32 GB XMP at 3200 MHz
  • 64 GB XMP at 3200 MHz

Yours truly is running 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz on R8. No issue hitting the advertised speed.

Bmwpower603
3 Argentium

Good to know I can Atleast do 3200

<Profanity removed>that I have to throw away the 2660

Maybe I can put it in my office computer. 

0 Kudos
GTS81
4 Tellurium

I think the RAM is the least of your worries. Best put your energy into figuring out what's going on with the 2080 Ti. Good thing you kept things under control with the custom fan curve. I've always felt unsure how a 250W GPU would work well in a casing like the Aurora R8/R9.

BTW, I swung by local BB earlier and noticed that for the R9, the front bezel is recessed deep inwards near to the front of the inner frame. Probably rules out the possibility of sticking a 15mm thick fan there for GPU radiator cooling.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@GTS81   Best put your energy into figuring out what's going on with the 2080 Ti

From the initial post is seems that @Bmwpower603 has a blower style graphics card, which is great for keeping hot exhaust air out of the case, but apparently not as good at cooling the components of the graphics card , at least according to the dude in the 'tear down' video I posted. He said that is why nVidia has gone to the 'twin fan/vapor chamber' for cooling on the new RTX 2080 Ti cards.

full water block & external rad 🤔

0 Kudos
Bmwpower603
3 Argentium

Dell has decided to send me a 2080ti to replace the one that gets loud under load. 

(I’m hoping the card I receive isn’t used, or refurbished) 

Having the original thermal paste would be nice. I would hate to downgrade from my new video card. 

I downloaded msi afterburner, and have been getting very good temps when using custom fan curve. 

The only time the GPU goes full rpm, is when I put the fan speed setting on auto. (Which I don’t think is normal) 

Does anyone know of a way to figure out if the card is new? I assume if it’s a brown dell box, it’s used. And if it’s new it will be an EVGA box? 

0 Kudos