Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

8 Posts

July 5th, 2020 00:00

Aurora R9, preparing to replace fans

Hi everyone, I got an air cooling Aurora R9 for over 7 months and finally my wife has had enough with this super jet vacuum noise, so do I tbh. So I just want it to be as quiet as possible.

I have basic knowledge about PC hardware, and now I understand that I can (1) replace the CPU_FAN and TOP_FAN with a Corsair H60, and replace whatever fan that comes with H60 with a Corsair ML 120 Pro. (2) replace the FRONT_FAN with another Corsair ML 120 Pro.

So I looked them up in Amazon.jp(I live in Japan), and there are 2 models of ML 120 Pro, FN1040 and FN 1041; there are also 2 models for H60, FN920 and FN1190(2018). I'm not sure which two fit.

Which two should I buy? Did I make any mistakes? Or are there any better options to make it quieter? Thousand thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 5th, 2020 10:00

@Hal_0008 

There is only Corsair H60 model listed on the Corsair web site US; Hydro Series™ H60 (2018) 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler.  Perhaps you could post links?

You only need one Corsair ML120 PRO (no LED, no RGB). This would be used with the radiator and connected to mobo TOP FAN. You can use the Corsair SP Series fan that comes with the H60 to replace your lower front intake fan.

8 Posts

July 5th, 2020 19:00

Got it, I'll try the newest models then. Though delivery in Japan is so freaking slow, may arrive 2 weeks later. Thank you! 

8 Posts

July 5th, 2020 19:00

I'll go with one ML 120 Pro then. Much thanks!

53 Posts

July 7th, 2020 21:00

@Anonymous 

Does it make a big difference in noise level to replace the front fan? Sometimes I am not sure if the fan noise comes from GPU fans or the front fan. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 8th, 2020 00:00

Does it make a big difference in noise level to replace the front fan? Sometimes I am not sure if the fan noise comes from GPU fans or the front fan.

=============

I would suggest you verify which fans are "too noisy" before you started trying to replace ANY fans.

If your machine has a liquid-cooler that works, I certainly would not be messing around with the Top-Fan (as it is actually part of the Asetek-OEM Liquid-Cooler ).

8 Posts

July 8th, 2020 04:00

Does it make a big difference in noise level to replace the front fan?

====

I happen to have replaced only the front fan for now, the other two(CPU and top) remaining the original ones. From what I can tell now, I can confirm that the original front fan definitely contributed greatly to the jet-engine-level noise.

But it's like 30,000 being reduced to 20,000, it sure is quieter, but still sounds like a vacuum.

Hope it helps.

53 Posts

July 8th, 2020 06:00

@Hal_0008 

Thanks a lot for your input! I do suspect the front fan contributes a lot to the overall noise since its installation location is very close to the exterior. I already have a H60 AIO liquid cooling so CPU fan noise is mostly gone. But GPU blowers and front fan seem to still produce some noticeable noise when gaming. 

8 Posts

July 9th, 2020 21:00

Update:

All new components arrived and I have repalced them all. It turns out to be astonishingly quieter, makes me wonder why Alienware wouldn't do a better job in the first place.

However, as I play games, the top case becomes awfully hot, so I'm considering adding another Corsair ML 120 Pro to sandwich the radiator.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 9th, 2020 22:00

Try bumping up you fan curve.

2.2K Posts

July 9th, 2020 23:00

@Hal_0008 :

However, as I play games, the top case becomes awfully hot, so I'm considering adding another  Corsair ML 120 Pro to sandwich the radiator.

Danger, danger! Apparently the recent fan profile settings in AWCC, may they be balanced or performance, will run your fans very very slow, resulting in astronomical temperatures. I first realized that when I jumped back onto using my R8 full time as my custom rig is being upgraded.

With performance profile in AWCC, my ML120 Pro was running at around 600RPM all the way till 60C. By then, even with blasting the fan, the temps take a long while to come down. Like @r72019 , you want to be more aggressive with the fan curve. The quietness of the ML120 Pro allows that without sacrificing acoustic comfort.

8 Posts

July 10th, 2020 07:00

It's a pity I immediately manually adjusted the fan curve and didn't check the temperature in that problematic circumstance. After adjusting, I tested the cooling with Monster Hunter World and Assassin's Creed Odessy, and the CPU temp is around 65-70. When idle, it's about 40-45 with a room temperature of 28. I wonder if I've done something wrong.

I also doubt if you can pull out the radiator after it being pushed into the top case and getting so firmly stuck there. 

======

If you are talking about how to get the stuck radiator out of the case, I sticked a chopstick through the holes to push it out. 

8 Posts

Yes, after I manually adjusted the fan curve, the heat problem is gone. Appreciate it!

8 Posts

Exactly, first I thought ML 120 might be not powerful enough, but after I posted the update and checked the RPM, I adjusted the fan curve and poof it's solved. Thank you very much. Btw, any example of an ideal fan curve?

53 Posts

@Hal_0008 

However, as I play games, the top case becomes awfully hot, so I'm considering adding another Corsair ML 120 Pro to sandwich the radiator.

That sounds weird. I also have H60 installed (with the original fan). The top case just feels warm but not very hot when I play games. Are you monitoring your CPU temperature? I never see it go beyond 80 (only after a long time of 3D rendering or CPU stress test) and playing games only gets it to reach 45-55. My room temperature is 26-27 and the CPU idle temperature is 28-30.

I also doubt if you can pull out the radiator after it being pushed into the top case and getting so firmly stuck there. 

No Events found!