Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2020 01:00

Aurora R9, upgradable in the future?

9th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 9700K (8-Core, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz across all cores)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2080 SUPER(TM) 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
32GB Dual Channel HyperX(FM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD  w/ 850w power supply and liquid cooling

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. But after years and years of wanting a Alienware, I final bought the Aurora R9. My question is how upgradable will it be in the future? And as it's coming Overclocked up to 4.6GHz, will it be running overclocked all the time? Because to me it seems if it's running full blast all the time it wolnt last as long or would it run to that if need be. 

Thanks for your time if you take time to respond. Have a blessed day.

396 Posts

June 13th, 2020 03:00

I have the R9 with I9 9900KS up to 5GHz across all cores with two 2080 Supers in SLI and to answer your question, no, the CPU will run around 2-3GHz at idle and throttle up to it's limit only when necessary.  As you noted, no sense in wasting heat/energy and shortening the lifespan of the processor for no reason.

As long as the industry doesn't change sockets, the CPU and video cards should be up gradable for the foreseeable future.  The same with storage and RAM memory.  Power supply is contingent on finding one that fits the R9 case, but you have the 850 watt, the same as mine, and I have run mine full out playing games in SLI and highest video settings at 3440 x 1440 with not one problem, so I think we are both safe in that respect.

Congratulations on owning a fine machine, best of luck.

June 13th, 2020 04:00

@Doghouse Reilly 

Thank you for your timely response. My machine was supposed to be here the 10th and due to current conditions the ship date has been moved to the 16th. Just been researching and thinking about long term .

Have a wonderful day  and thanks again.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

June 13th, 2020 06:00

"CPU and video cards should be up gradable for the foreseeable future"

Unfortunately, no you can't upgrade the R9 cpu to a newer gen, it is EOL with 9900ks the max upgrade.  The aurora R9 has been superseded by the R11, which was released not too long ago.  The R11 uses 10th gen cpus on the 1200 socket, not 1151 like the r9.  Also, the chipset has changed to the 400 series.  The R9 is EOL with 9th gen Intel.

No Events found!