Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

15 Posts

January 13th, 2021 23:00

Aurora loud fan noise reason and how to fix

Guys,

I know many users have the extremely loud fan noise issue. I have been disturbed for almost one year. After doing some research, now I have totally understood this problem and know how to fix it. 

This common problem actually has been discussed a lot in some other websites like Reddit and Evga community. However, I still notice there are some people in Dell community asking for help. So I hope this post can help you.

First, you need to know which fan is making the noise. If the noise is from the GPU fan, this post can help you out. However, there is no GPU fan speed in AWCC. You can download some third-party applications like GPU-Z and Precision X1. Once you can see the fan speed like this. You know the noise is from GPU fan.

Scallop_0-1610609070929.png

The fan speed increases to 100% suddenly so that you can hear that noise.

Here is a link of a youtube video. You can have a look to know more about the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssqYleBjPIw

The Youtuber tested Dell version RTX 2080 Ti which is used in Aurora. You may have another model of GPU but as long as it has the same problem and is from Dell. The solution should be the same.

The problem is actually caused by missing thermal pads, bad thermal paste or bad cooling design. 

Here is another link from the same YouTuber. This is how he fixed the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUQ5rXYiBo8

You may not need to do all things. Just repasting the thermal paste should be able to fix the problem in most cases.

If you have a warranty, I recommend you to ask for a replacement from Dell. However, the replacement GPU is refurbished so that you don't know whether it has been pasted well until you test it yourself. You may need to do replacement for several times.

And if you have a warranty and want to fix it yourself, please notice this may void your warranty. Confirm with Dell before you do it.

If you don't have the warranty and have to do it yourself, the second link shows how the YouTuber fix it. You can just watch and learn. 

Some people may say this problem is caused by software settings like BIOS and AWCC. But if you do some research, you will know it is definitely caused by the GPU itself. So if Dell asks you to wait for the BIOS update, just show them the videos.

And at last, I wish you guys good luck. Hope you will have a good gaming experience after this post.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 14th, 2021 00:00

And yes, safe to say damage from or problems after removing the shroud and heatsink it will void the warranty on the oem gpu so do at your own risk.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 14th, 2021 00:00

Nice research and writeup. 

"However, there is no GPU fan speed in AWCC"

I don't know why they discontinued that.  The older Auroras, including my R7, include gpu fan speed readings in AWCC.  I think it was the AWCC version first shipped with the R8 that discontinued that feature.

No Events found!