Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 31st, 2018 00:00

Current Aurora R7 Z370 MB has what speed USB 3.1-C and -A ports?

Quiz time! My Aurora R7 is currently being built. It is supposed to have the following:

One USB 3.1-C port. What speed is it: Gen 1 = 5 GBPS or Gen 2 = 10 GBPS?

One USB 3.1-A port. What speed is it? 5 or 10 GBPS?

One 'Superspeed' USB 3.0-C port. What speed is it? Is it 5 GBPS?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 31st, 2018 14:00

Check Dell/Alienware sales pages. Also, Aurora-R7 PDF for specs. Let us know what you find or any discrepancies.

I see no reason why they would not be capable of these speeds

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11859/the-anandtech-coffee-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers/3

Due to the way USB works, I can't see it making a big difference or affect a buying decision.

Will your Aurora-R7 be used in some unique (non-gaming) application or role?

68 Posts

January 31st, 2018 15:00

Actually the CPU has nothing to do with the speed of the USB ports, it's the motherboard support - is it latest technology. I see the Z370 chipset supports Thunderbolt 3 but that has not been implemented in the Alienware computers as yet. USB 3.1 is a bit complicated because there is Gen 1 and Gen 2 with different speeds. 

Who makes the motherboards for the R7? They would know, but I would think someone from Dell should know.

I have Thunderbolt 3 on the two laptops I just bought only because they were build end of last year: Dell XPS 13 and Lenovo Yoga 920. Too bad it's not on the Alienware desktops yet but it's not all that necessary to be able to daisy chain multiple peripherals on a desktop, e.g. DVD/RW drive, Ethernet, HDMI, USB-C charging port, and USB 3.0 ports, since the R7 has a plethora of that, but it would have been nice to have.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 1st, 2018 13:00

@Clevor wrote:

1. Actually the CPU has nothing to do with the speed of the USB ports, it's the motherboard support - is it latest technology.

2. I see the Z370 chipset supports Thunderbolt 3 but that has not been implemented in the Alienware computers as yet. USB 3.1 is a bit complicated because there is Gen 1 and Gen 2 with different speeds. 

3. Who makes the motherboards for the R7? They would know, but I would think someone from Dell should know.

4. I have Thunderbolt 3 on the two laptops I just bought only because they were build end of last year: Dell XPS 13 and Lenovo Yoga 920. Too bad it's not on the Alienware desktops yet but it's not all that necessary to be able to daisy chain multiple peripherals on a desktop, e.g. DVD/RW drive, Ethernet, HDMI, USB-C charging port, and USB 3.0 ports,

5. since the R7 has a plethora of that, but it would have been nice to have.

1. I didn't say it did. If you cared to read that linked page, it had good pics and specs on Intel-z370-CHIPSET.

2. Right

3. Aurora R5/R6 is Pegatron. But it's ODM/OEM, so all support is through Dell/Alienware.

4. Yes, it's nice. Apple does it right too (even on Desktops). But have you priced any ThunderBolt-3 peripherals ?

5. Agreed. Kinda sad they drop it to save $50. Also sad that some consumers agree.

15 Posts

February 2nd, 2018 00:00

On the back it has one USB-C 3.1 2nd Gen port and one USB-A 3.1 2nd Gen port with speed up to 10Gbps. The other port are all 1st Gen ports with 5Gbps. Hope this helps out a little.

No Events found!