Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 29th, 2020 00:00

FreeSync support on Alienware monitors G-Sync module?

NVIDIA confirmed for us that future G-Sync module screens can be capable of supporting both HDMI-VRR and adaptive-sync for HDMI and DisplayPort. A firmware update is being made to the v1 and v2 G-Sync hardware modules for future use which allows these new features.

That means that in the future a display featuring an NVIDIA G-Sync module could work with compatible games consoles for HDMI-VRR. It could also work with any graphics card based on the adaptive-sync standard over HDMI and DisplayPort. This means that you would be able to use a Native G-Sync screen (with module) from an AMD graphics card for VRR! So if you have an AMD graphics card, you could still enjoy the VRR experience and other additional benefits that the G-Sync module brings even from a Native G-sync screen, which was previously out of reach to those users.

Question is, it is possible to update already installed G-Sync modules in already sold monitors?

like aw34, aw27, aw25.

To add this feature? Maybe some Dell official can contact Nvidia and figure this question for us.

thanks.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

February 29th, 2020 06:00

The next paragraph after the one you quoted in that article says no.

"We confirmed with NVIDIA that it will NOT be possible to update firmware to any existing Native G-sync screen, or request updates to allow your current G-sync screen to be updated so that it would work with AMD graphics cards. The new firmware will only be applied to future G-sync module displays."

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/nvidia-open-up-support-for-adaptive-sync-freesync-for-future-native-g-sync-module-screens/

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

February 29th, 2020 06:00

It's a way for them to sell more monitors and nvidia chips by forcing an upgrade if you need the new features.  Dell does it with compuyers (example,  when new suported CPUS come out, alienware puts the BIOS update in the next gen PCs and doesn't offer it to the other gen PCs- 9900ks for R9, 9900k for r8, 8700k for r7, all three on z370, no upgradrability.  Next example, LG freesync on their big screen oled TVs is not available by Pascal or older gpus, you need to upgrade to the turing gen.

March 2nd, 2020 08:00

Yes i am aware that quoted thing i posted kinda answer my question,

but there still hope for other answer since its not official source of this information.

March 2nd, 2020 11:00

"NVIDIA confirmed for us that future G-Sync module screens can be capable of supporting both HDMI-VRR and adaptive-sync for HDMI and DisplayPort. A firmware update is being made to the v1 and v2 G-Sync hardware modules for future use which allows these new features. That means that in the future a display featuring an NVIDIA G-Sync module could work with compatible games consoles for HDMI-VRR. It could also work with any graphics card based on the adaptive-sync standard over HDMI and DisplayPort. This means that you would be able to use a Native G-Sync screen (with module) from an AMD graphics card for VRR! So if you have an AMD graphics card, you could still enjoy the VRR experience and other additional benefits that the G-Sync module brings even from a Native G-sync screen, which was previously out of reach to those users."

Source of this is tftcentral, and they are not related to Nvidia or Dell so I am not sure for how much I can trust them here. Question is, is it possible to update already installed G-Sync modules in already sold monitors?

Like aw34, aw27, aw25.

To add this feature? Maybe some Dell official can contact Nvidia and figure this question for us.

We got review on one monitor in list and they say this monitor have FreeSync support?

So maybe its also possible for other monitors? Maybe they already have it like this one? Or maybe rtings review is wrong about this?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 03:00

The Dell answer to your question is in the FAQ Alienware Monitors posted on 1-14-2020 using the color coding and data. But I will expand on that for you.

r72019 response was correct and in line with the data in the FAQ Alienware Monitors, which is why we marked it as so.

The rtings testing of Nvidia G-Sync monitors with AMD FreeSync does not change what Dell will support and validate.

The following Alienware Nvidia G-Sync monitors with the Nvidia G-Sync scaler IC board will not be upgraded via firmware to support AMD FreeSync. Dell Technical Support will not troubleshoot these monitors with AMD FreeSync =
AW2518H
AW2521H
AW2524H
AW2721D
AW3418DW
AW3418HW
AW3420DW
AW3423DW
AW3821DW

No Events found!