Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2018 14:00

Secondary hard drive is full but has no data - help

Today, I went to install a game and realized that my C drive (500 GB SSD) was getting closer to full, so I went push games to my D drive (1TB secondary harddrive) and to my surprise, my D drive displays as nearly full (195 GB remaining with 804 GB used)  but there is nothing in it except a "windowsimagebackup", a file named "DESKTOP-9s...." and a "MedialD.bin file, all of them appear to have nothing more than 1KB data. 

I have read about the issue with Windows giving a back up partition a drive letter, but I don't think that is the case here, as it is my entire second hard drive.  

Need some help - thanks

Aurora R7 - Windows 10 Pro

August 13th, 2018 22:00

I found it, it is a system image and it was 600+GB (**bleep**, why...?) plus back up files and other files in total....basically the entire drive. I've changed the settings and cleaned up some of the older back ups. 

Sorry for the difficulty and thank you for the help. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 13th, 2018 16:00

Is Disk Management, make sure there is one-big partition on the secondary HDD.

In Windows Explorer, turn on Hidden Files. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 13th, 2018 18:00

@Texas Gamer wrote:

1. There is a single partition,

2. no hidden files. 

1. Good (simple is good). So, how big is it?

2. Hmm.

Well, somewhere, there has to be file(s) equaling 804 GB. Try un-hiding system-files temporarily. 

August 13th, 2018 18:00

There is a single partition, no hidden files. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Texas Gamer wrote:

I found it, it is a system image and it was 600+GB (**bleep**, why...?) plus back up files and other files in total....basically the entire drive. I've changed the settings and cleaned up some of the older back ups. 

Sorry for the difficulty and thank you for the help. 

It might have been created with Windows-10 Imaging-Backup? After evaluating that, I ran-away fast ...  to find Macrium Reflect (free) ... so much better.

Yeah, at least switch the System Files Hidden back on ... keeps even me out of trouble. :Smile:

Now that we know ... sounds like it could be reformatted after all. However, sounds like you got it covered.

IIRC, in Steam, you can setup alternate Install Folders.

It's no problem, really. Glad to help a fellow Texan. 

No Events found!