Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2018 15:00

Support Assist Problem - need help updating drivers

Hello,

I purchased my Alienware Gaming PC last December. I had a year of Support Assist (premium?) included. I haven't been using my computer much over the past 4 months due to work and school. I want to know one of two things. Since I know that my subscription to Support Assist premium has already ended, why am I completely unable to find the application on my computer? I get on Dell.com, detect my PC and then it says "You need Support Assist". I never uninstalled it. I click download because, hey I want to reinstall it so I can update my drivers. It downloads the set up. I run the set-up and it claims "Installation cancelled- you already have the latest version of Support Assist." Repeat over and over again. Do I need to buy it somewhere else first? 

That's my first question. My second, and possibly more important, question is how can I manage my CPU without it? I tried to update drivers on Dell's website and-would ya look at that- I need to download Support Assist.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 16th, 2018 16:00

You don't need support assist to install any driver updates--only for the scan of your computer, which you don't need. You most likely don't even need any driver updates. Your Device Manager has the current drivers.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?app=drivers Skip the scan which asks Support assist. Just use your service tag or your model name and number.

Support Assist is not a subscription. It's free to all Dell users. But you really don't need it to maintain your computer. 

December 16th, 2018 20:00

Thank you for your help. Earlier I finally was able to download Support Assist from https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/supportassist instead of the seemingly broken links I was encountering elsewhere. I now know that I really just needed to manually enter my service tag in to check for drivers and download them myself. Thank you again.
No Events found!