Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

April 13th, 2018 10:00

Thermal Controller error startup

Hi, Im getting this message after I try to log in, in a black screen; I've already tried to restore to a previous point where it said windows update and same issue. Tried restarting in safe mode to reinstall CC and nothing. I am running windows 10 on an Alienware Aurora R6. Thanks

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for
'AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ThermalControlsTaskbarIcon' threw
an exception. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Could not create
icon data

at
AlienLabs.CommandCenter.Tools.Classes.TaskbarIcon.TaskbarIcon.CreateTaskbarIcon()

at
AlienLabs.CommandCenter.Tools.Classes.TaskbarIcon.TaskbarIcon..ctor()

at
AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Classes.ThermalControlsTaskbarIcon..cctor()

--- End of inner exception stack
trace ---

at
AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.Main..ctor()

at
AlienLabs.ThermalControls.Controller.App.AppStartup(Object sender,
StartupEventArgs args)

at
System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(Object unused)

at
System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback,
Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at
MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source,
Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

1 Message

April 13th, 2018 11:00

Got the exact same issue that happen suddenly to me last night, same desktop. Did the same thing you did but I'm getting nowhere.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2018 12:00

@Katarn8wrote:

1. I've already tried to restore to a previous point where it said windows update and same issue.

2. Tried restarting in safe mode to reinstall CC and nothing. I am running windows 10 on an Alienware Aurora R6.

1. That almost never works, and if fact ... sometimes makes things worse.

2. I think (maybe) you can uninstall CC from Safe-Mode, but I don't think installing new version will work from there. I think you have to be inside full-Windows.

I'm still running Alienware Command Center v4.6.20 ... so maybe try a clean-install of that version.

If that doesn't help, maybe try the new v4.8.23.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/alienware-aurora-r6-desktop.html

Remember these Alienware Command-Center tips:
(These tips have served me well, for like 8 years now).

- Never upgrade from inside CC itself (always clean-install a fresh version)
- Always uninstall old version and REBOOT, before installing any version
- After downloading the installer, I always use Windows-Explorer to "UnBlock" the file before using it.
- Try disabling Window's Fast-Startup feature. If you boot from a SSD, you won't even notice.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2018 12:00

This has never happened before, but it looks like my Aurora-R6 stumbled a bit auto-installing and auto-rebooting ... after a pushed Windows-Update last night.

I just shut-down and rebooted and then everything was fine. I didn't think much of it, but in-light of this thread, I guess I will collect some data and then write-up the event, and post it here later:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Hard-Lockup-and-crash-while-gaming-SOLVED/td-p/5504111/page/3

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2018 21:00

So, how's it going guys ?

I wrote-up our incident here. It was weird and a little scary but everything seems fine for us (a reboot fixed it).

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/td-p/6063705

1 Message

April 16th, 2018 19:00

Got the same problem after the update on the 10th. Tried everything you have, but nothing different. I've e-mailed Dell, but with a big company like that you always got to jump through hoops to get your problem fixed. If I can repair it, I'll let you know how I did it.

1 Message

August 19th, 2018 17:00

I was getting frequent pop-up messages from User Account Control, Command Center, Verified publisher Microsoft Windows after a Windows update.  I finally got rid of these buggy pop-ups after uninstalling and re-installing Alienware Command Center.  Deja-Vu. The buggy pop-ups are back.  I uninstalled and re-installed Alienware Command Center.  The pop-ups ceased again.  But, this time, I think the Alienware Command Center is in conflict with a recent Windows update.   I can open Alienware CC but, when I click on Thermal Controller, the program shuts down.  I ran the BIOS update but, I think it was the same version.  I even tried holding the power switch in (unplugged), for 30 seconds.  I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Alienware CC twice.  No change.  Thermal Controller still crashes.   My system is a Dell Alienware Aurora R6.   I've had so many problems with this software, having to R&R it all to frequently after Windows updates, I wonder just why I need it.  Will my system cool itself properly without it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 19th, 2018 18:00

See my URL above.

My Aurora-R6 is still on Command Center v4.6.20 and it works fine. Be sure AW-CC update option is OFF.

Yeah, so 1703, 1709, and now 1803 ... all fine.

No Events found!