Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 2nd, 2018 21:00

Weird noise of my R7

Hi I just bought a Alienware R7. It now makes loud and weird noise that I do not know where it comes from. Here is a video I shot for the noise.

Have anyone experienced something similar before? Could anyone help me with that?

Thank you in advance! 

EDIT: For some reason I could not hear the sound when using R7. But can hear it with my mac and iphone. Probably since I recorded the video with iphone.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2018 11:00

Unlike an iPhone or iPad, there are still some moving parts inside the Aurora-R7. It could also be a resonant vibration.

My Aurora-R6 is very quiet while idle. Even during max-gaming, I think it's still quieter than it's older-brother, the alternate Aurora-R1 (circa 2010).

Before it can be corrected, you will have to find out what part or component inside is making the noise. If you lack the skill or confidence to do that don't worry. Just give Dell/Alienware Tech Support a call on the phone and they will help you.

Don't forget to point them to that video. Hopefully, all other machines were off when you made it. Your last EDIT is confusing. If you mean it's noise being picked-up by some machine's speakers, then it might instead be EMF/EMI (electrical interference).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 5th, 2018 13:00

Hi @Kuang1989,

Try opening the case and isolating the sound to a component.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2018 17:00

Hi. I think it comes from my hard drive. Any idea how to solve this?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 8th, 2018 19:00

@Kuang1989 wrote:

Hi. I think it comes from my hard drive. Any idea how to solve this?

I kinda doubt it's the spinning HDD. What make and model is it?

But if it truly is, I guess the options are:

1. Have it replaced for another spinner

2. Replace it with a SSD.

No Events found!