Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2010 15:00

ALIENWARE AURORA R1 USB ISSUES?

Hello,

I recently bought an alienware aurora and have been having some issues. My headphones are making a crackling sound and my keyboard will randomly flicker on and off. Both of the devices are USB powered, I tried them on other PCs and they work fine. So it seems I have an issue with the alienware itself. My tech knowledge is pretty high ive built many computers. Ive tried all sorts of troubleshooting but im open to new ideas.PLEASE HELP

Thanks,

Chris

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2010 16:00

Be sure to try them in the back USB ports.

For the USB headphones, be sure you are running the latest Win7-64 bit drivers for the sound-card built into the headphones.

If that's the "free" or standard AW keyboard ... sounds like a bad connection or bad keyboard. Try another back USB port.

Unplug all other USB devices. If you have something large on the USB buss (that uses a lot of power) the PC might be running out power. Large gaming USB headphones often use a lot of power. However, the PC should warn you if they use over the allowed 0.5 amps per hub. You can try moving stuff around to put high-drain devices on different internal hubs (groups of ports).

431 Posts

September 18th, 2010 16:00

Ive tried all ports front and back with the same issue, i have logitech g110 keyboard. The power supply is 850w I should not be running out of power...im running 5670s in power saver...running latest drivers...i tried a lotttttttttttttttttttttttttt (my keyboard flickerd) of thing with no resultss...

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2010 18:00

Yes, those are both "high-draw" devices.

See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#Power

You can test the keyboard itself by making it the only USB device connected (preferably one of the back ports).

Your best bet to get them both to work ... be sure they are each connected to their own internal hub (group of ports). In Device Manager, you can change the View to Devices by Connection to verify which ports are on which hub.

431 Posts

September 18th, 2010 19:00

Ive tried multiple different port combinations, I tried both devices plugged into my laptop with the same drivers and they seemed fine. The 850w supply should cover it if a laptop can. The odd thing is my keyboard has a USB port, when I plug my headphones into that they sound ok until  they cut off im guessing cuz of the keyboard flickering. I called dell and they are out of ideas and forwarding it to the engineering team.

Thanks

No Events found!