Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2014 13:00

AREA 51 R2 & USB Audio Device Issue

I encounter a very annoying problem with my new AREA 51 R2. If I connect an external USB sound card (I have tested it with several cards). I have a huge problem with the audio, when I move the mouse, the sound crackles (music, video, etc ...). No problem with the onboard sound card.

I tried everything:
- Connect the sound card on different ports (Front / Rear, USB2 / USB3)
- Unplug all unnecessary USB devices
- Use a powered HUB for connected devices
- Connect the PC to other power outlets
- I have tested it on a clean installation
- Drivers are up to date
- The problem persists with different sound cards
- Change the mouse / keyboard does not remove the problem

For me there is a problem of interference with USB ports (no problem on my previous PC), and I invite you to connect an external sound card on the AREA 51 (R2) to see if the problem persists. I hope an BIOS update can resolve this issue !

THX

10 Posts

April 1st, 2015 15:00

I did end up buying a USB 3.0 PCI-e card and installed it just now with the internal power adapter connected to the PC power supply.  The drivers are all up to date (PC and PCI-e card) and it is windows 8.1 compatible.  No Audio!  It registers my Audio Interface but will not play any audio or video.  No problems seen in the Device Manager.  The card reads my memory sticks and external hard drives with no problems.  That totally ***!  If I can find a USB 2.0 card that works with Windows 8.1 I may try that.  In the meantime I will have to suffer through all the stutters.  Hopefully an update will arrive soon! As I had mentioned earlier, I am using a Toshiba Qosmio laptop with USB 3.0 without any problems.  Both of my Audio Interfaces work on it and I use the Laptop primarily for recording tracks.  Mixing and editing I like to do on my desktop (Area 51 R2 64 bit / Window 8.1 / 24 GB RAM) which is why I bought this rig.  Well, it was worth a shot...

The PCI-e card that I have installed is a Vantec 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI-e Host Card (UGT-PC341). Connected to power supply via Molex to eSata to PCI (ATX) power adapters. 

21 Posts

April 4th, 2015 13:00

That confirm what I think, the AREA 51 R2 motherboard need a BIOS update ! Waiting for 5 month now... Please DELL, wake up !

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 4th, 2015 15:00

I did end up buying a USB 3.0 PCI-e card and installed it just now with the internal power adapter connected to the PC power supply.  The drivers are all up to date (PC and PCI-e card) and it is windows 8.1 compatible.  No Audio!  It registers my Audio Interface but will not play any audio or video.  No problems seen in the Device Manager.  The card reads my memory sticks and external hard drives with no problems.  That totally ***! 

That should have worked. Thanks for reporting your findings.

Also troubling that you get "no audio" at all.

From what you say, the "USB Audio Interface" works properly on other machines. I assume some are also running Win8.1-64bit and you are using the same drivers.

The Vantec PCIe USB-3 card works fine with other USB-3 devices on this Area51-R2.

You have a full-blown compatibility problem here. Sure seems to point to Area51-R2 as the problem.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2015 17:00

Not a BIOS update, but there is a new Audio driver for the Area51-R2:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=JYN2T&fileId=3447051492&osCode=WB64A&productCode=alienware-area51-r2&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AU

I think this might be the driver for the embedded "Sound Card". It was been reported to fix some audio issues some customers were having.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19626851/20753252#20753252

Could it be that a bad driver was not dis-engaging the on-board audio properly or maybe monopolizing too many resources?

Also, something else comes to mind ... have you all (with external USB Audio devices) tried disabling the on-board audio from the BIOS? Try a clean-install of the new driver first, but if still problems ... if the BIOS option is there, might be something to try.

21 Posts

April 18th, 2015 16:00

Unfortunately, this new driver has nothing to do with our problem. And of course we have already done everything you recommend.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 18th, 2015 17:00

1. Unfortunately, this new driver has nothing to do with our problem.

2. And of course we have already done everything you recommend.

1. Right, but in the context I explained, I thought it might. Did you actually try it?
2. Cool, just checking. So, there IS an option to disable on-board audio? And it's not Intel but Creative-Labs?
Thanks for posting status.

10 Posts

April 19th, 2015 14:00

Hi Tesla,

Thanks for the help I really do appreciate your suggestions. Yeah, I tried disabling HD audio from the BIOS and also the update.  I also have disabled the unnecessary sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager which I normally do anyway so there is no conflict.  I still have the same problems.  If I get some time I will attach a video to demonstrate what is happening. 

21 Posts

June 14th, 2015 14:00

BIOS Update :

Fixes
- Not Applicable

Enhancements
- Enhancement Dell diagnostic fan test. 
- Implemented Dell Update Package (DUP) BIOS support.

Doesn't see any USB fixe, but i'm going to test this new bios and report back !

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 14th, 2015 14:00

Looks like there is finally a new BIOS for Area51-R2.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/DriversDetails?productCode=alienware-area51-r2&driverId=790T6

Has anyone with an external USB sound-board-device (and the latency issue) tried it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 14th, 2015 21:00

I've been mixing on my end after installing the BIOS update.  Definite improvement and almost a full solution!  There is still an occasional audio drop but not nearly as bad as before.  I am happy with it!  Mixing tracks is now fun again. 

That is great news. Thanks for testing and reporting back.
However, it should be a full fix. Have you tried on a USB 3.0 port?

10 Posts

June 14th, 2015 21:00

I've been mixing on my end after installing the BIOS update.  Definite improvement and almost a full solution!  There is still an occasional audio drop but not nearly as bad as before.  I am happy with it!  Mixing tracks is now fun again. 

21 Posts

June 15th, 2015 10:00

OK GOOD NEWS ! This new BIOS is the solution for this issue !

No more problem with sound on extenal usb soundcard. I'm going to test more (asio driver, ...), but it seem to be a full fix, thanks god, thanks Alienware ;)

21 Posts

August 20th, 2015 09:00

The problem persist with BIOS A03 & Windows 10 ! It is less obvious, but i've some audio dropouts when surfing the web. On Windows 8.1 with BIOS A02, no dropout.

10 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 13:00

I'm running into the same issues.  Not as bad as before but when I am moving between screens in Ableton Live I've noticed that it does it more than with the A02 version.  I have not mixed in Sonar using the updated BIOS but I will report back.  

62 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 17:00

09/02/2015, Intel released a new Chipset Software Installation 10.1.2.8 WHQL driver that fix issues on USB controller devices 8D2D and 8D26 for Intel C610 series/X99 chipset.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/intel-chipset-software-installation-10-1-2-10-whql-download.html

My USB ports work correctly now and it should works for your external USB sound card too.

No Events found!