Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2013 16:00

AWCC (Alienware Command Center) 3.5 release for R3?

When are you guys going to provide an update for AWCC (Alienware Command Center)  for the Alienware Aurora R3?  I see the new update supports R2 and R4 but not R3; why?  Did I buy a lemon?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 11th, 2013 17:00

I don't have an Aurora R3 here to test it with, but I can tell you the Aurora R1, R2, R3, and R4 all have the same or similar MIO-Boards. Just because someone might have tagged a file improperly while posting ... don't assume it doesn't work until you have tried it.

I suggest a "clean install". However, I'm also reminded of ... "If it's not broken, don't fix it".

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

December 11th, 2013 17:00

pssst ... I do believe the "r2" means it's for the x51 r2 ... not the aurora r2 ...

10 Posts

December 11th, 2013 19:00

I tried to install it and get this message: "This installation package is not compatible with this platform."

A clean install was attempted when the same message above occurred.

The update is necessary for the known errors that are said to been corrected in this update such as after a few reboots the fans going racing until you reinstall the software all over again then repeat and repeat.............................................................

10 Posts

December 11th, 2013 20:00

I tried to install it and get this message: "This installation package is not compatible with this platform."

The update is necessary for the known errors that are said to been corrected in this update such as after a few reboots the fans going racing until you reinstall the software all over again then repeat and repeat.............................................................

Thanks for testing it. Yes, hopefully Dell can fix that.

Just to confirm ... You have a stock Alienware Aurora-R3 motherboard, right?

Didn't know you were running Windows 8.1 64bit though. But with that, you will need CC v3.5 update because that's what the Aurora R4 owners have been waiting for.

The other thing that makes your machine unique is that you added the new Windows8 MediaCenter. That does more than you would think. I wonder if THAT is what is derailing the installer? Try to find an Aurora R4 owner with Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 MediaCenter ... and see if CC3.5 installed for them or not.

Thanks for the reply,

Yes it is a stock M/B I bought the computer from Dell as a complete unit with monitors, etc.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 11th, 2013 20:00

Thanks for testing it. Yes, hopefully Dell can fix that.

Just to confirm ... You have a stock Alienware Aurora-R3 motherboard, right?

Didn't realize you were running Windows 8.1 64bit though. But with that, you will need CC v3.5 update because that's what the Aurora R4 owners have been waiting for.

The other thing that makes your machine unique is that you added the new Windows8 MediaCenter. That does more than you would think. I wonder if THAT is what is derailing the installer? Try to find an Aurora R4 owner with Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 MediaCenter ... and see if CC3.5 installed for them or not.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 20th, 2014 05:00

racoutu,

The Aurora-R1/R2/R3 were not validated by Dell with Windows 8. So no, we are not going to create a Command Center update to enable Windows 8 on non-supported systems. The last Command Center available for the Aurora-R3 is:

2.8.9.0, A02-00
7/9/12
Aurora-R1, Aurora-R2, Aurora-R3, Aurora-R4, Area51, X51-R1
Windows 7
App_DT_AWCC_W7_X04_Setup_TD4C0_ZPE.exe

Some of the File Library "Fixes & Enhancements" have errors in it causing confusion about what Command Center supports what system model.

Command Center 3.5 for Desktops
3.5.10.0 A03-00
12/2/13
Aurora-R4, X51-R1, X51-R2
Windows 7/8/8.1

Command Center 3.0 for Desktops
3.0.26.0 A01-00
6/5/13
Aurora-R4, X51-R1, X51-R2
Windows 7/8

Command Center 2.0 for Desktops
2.8.11.0 A03-00
4/4/13
Aurora-R4, X51-R1
Windows 7/8
THIS LINE IS A MISTAKE = Added support for Area 51/Area 51-ALX, Aurora, Aurora-R2, Aurora-R3, Aurora-ALX

2.8.9.0 A02-00
7/9/12
Aurora-R1, Aurora-R2, Aurora-R3, Aurora-R4, Area51, X51-R1
Windows 7
Added support for Area 51/Area 51-ALX, Aurora, Aurora-R2, Aurora-R3 and Aurora-ALX

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 20th, 2014 12:00

The Aurora-R1/R2/R3 were not validated by Dell with Windows 8. So no, we are not going to create a Command Center update to enable Windows 8 on non-supported systems. The last Command Center available for the Aurora-R3 is:

It's one thing to not officially support Windows 8 on Aurora R1-R3 (since they shipped with Win7-64). Or said another way, the machines only officially support the Windows OS that they shipped with (which is standard Dell practice).

Windows 8 is sold at Retail as an upgrade for Windows-7 machines. It's designed to work on any machine that runs Windows-7. I've seen it install and work on many older machines, many less capable than any Aurora ever released.

The Aurora R4 contains the same MIO-Board as the Aurora R1-R3 (including ALX models).

Surely, Dell doesn't intend to prevent their loyal customers (the ones that have bought their high-end gaming desktops since Dell started making them) from upgrading to Windows-8 ... based on a hardware limitation that doesn't really exist.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 20th, 2014 20:00

Tesla1856,

R1
2JXP2 Master I/O Board, ALX
P0GVP Master I/O Board, Non ALX

R2

R3
V51MH Master I/O board, Non ALX

R4
V51MH Master I/O Board, Non ALX

But all that is moot. The Alienware team drew a line in the sand before Windows 8 ever came out and decided which systems would and would not get the R&D time and money to test and validate with Windows 8.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 20th, 2014 21:00

R1

R2

R3
V51MH Master I/O board, Non ALX

R4
V51MH Master I/O Board, Non ALX

2JXP2 =  2JXP2

P0GVP = V51MH

The boards are functionally the same (possibly a newer version, but I doubt it) if not exactly the same. Not sure why Dell often assigns a new part number to the same part when it goes into a new machine (but they do). Anyway, how else could same ALX board be used from R1 to R4.

If an Aurora R4 ALX can use Windows 8/8.1 and Command Center 3.5.x, why can't an Aurora R1 ALX? What is the magical piece of hardware that makes it so hard to support in Win8/8.1? It's not like any of the machines shipped with Win-XP or something. They all shipped with Win7-64bit ... just like millions of other machines out in the field. Millions of machines that Microsoft intended the upgrade version of Win8/8.1 for. 

No Events found!