Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2013 08:00

Adding mSata and Ram to the new Alienware 14

I just bought a new Alienware with 8GB ram and no mSata 750GB HDrive.

Im looking to buy after market ram and 64Gb of mSata.

unlike the x14m there is no proper user guide for the new model and i have a few Qs:

1. what 8GB memory should i look for? is that PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHZ SODIMM?

2. Can i buy any mSata on the market? should i look for specific spec?

3. Is there any disassembly guide for the new model?

27 Posts

September 14th, 2013 01:00

I just upgraded my Alienware 14 with a Plextor 256GB mSata drive. Installation was a snap and the Plextor drive came with 2 screws (needed only 1) to properly seat the mSata to the system board. Installation is described in the Users Manual page 30, there is even a nice picture showing the process. Upgrading the RAM is easy, the slots are easily accessible. To get memory to go crucial.com, here is a link, http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Alienware%2014&Cat=RAM

Good luck and Game On!

June 14th, 2013 13:00

Hi Dotanbo3,

If this computer is the M14X R2, this article might be helpful. It contains the owner's manual link and several other links for disassemble purposes.

The RAM you should look for is a 8GB DIMM DDR3 1600MHz. Any mSATA will get your computer faster, but the warranty would not cover any third-party hardware. In case you want to get a quote from us, send us an email to alienwareupgrades@dell.com

June 14th, 2013 16:00

You mean the M14X R1 right? This article is the one for that model.

The M14X R1 only supports 2 RAM sticks of 4GB 1600MHz and it doesn't have the mSATA port.

6 Posts

June 14th, 2013 16:00

Nop that is the new Alienware 14. didn't find a proper article for that model.

are there diffrent kinds of 8GB DIMM DDR3 1600MHz? or any kind is just fine?

Can i make the mSata a boot drive?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 14th, 2013 21:00

Manuals are here, but I don't see a Service Manual yet.

http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/Product/alienware-14

Must use real Adobe Reader for these Flash based PDFs.

Almost always ... if machine accepts a mSata, it can be bootable. I wouldn't try to use one smaller than 120gb.

2.4K Posts

June 14th, 2013 21:00

Here is the download section for the new Alienware 14. It has a specification download under manuals but it shows blank for me.  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/alienware-14

2.4K Posts

June 14th, 2013 23:00

Manuals are here, but I don't see a Service Manual yet.

http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/Product/alienware-14

Must use real Adobe Reader for these Flash based PDFs.

Almost always ... if machine accepts a mSata, it can be bootable. I wouldn't try to use one smaller than 120gb.

I was looking at the price points for the new m14x and it's only $100 to add the mSATA option. At that price I think it is much better to buy with the mSATA then to add one yourself. I would also go with the 1920 x 1080 FHD screen option so you get the IPS panel.

Thanks for the PDF info. It does seem that the native Win8 PDF viewer is incapable of reading them.

6 Posts

June 15th, 2013 02:00

I got the FHD IPS screen.

for 100$ i can get 128GB mSata on the market!

Still looking for disassembly video/manual

2.4K Posts

June 15th, 2013 04:00

for 100$ i can get 128GB mSata on the market!

With no Alienware support or even an OS installation CD!

6 Posts

June 15th, 2013 07:00

I don't need win 8 disk. i already got one. I would realy love to know the issues i may run into setting up mSata as boot disk, isnt that just a bios change and reinstalling the o.s?!

2.4K Posts

I know, i get no Alienware support and im not looking for that,

what do you mean by no O.system CD? how do i install Win8 on the mSata drive as boot?

Ask Alienware-Alexander_J how much the Windows 8 OS disk costs and what you need to do to get it. You should also ask about making an Alienware Respawn disk, what it can be used for and the issues you may run into setting up the mSATA disk. Let's just say I would happily spend the $100.

Anywho, I'll leave that one for him.

6 Posts

I know, i get no Alienware support and im not looking for that,

what do you mean by no O.system CD? how do i install Win8 on the mSata drive as boot?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 15th, 2013 14:00

I would realy love to know the issues i may run into setting up mSata as boot disk, isnt that just a bios change and reinstalling the o.s?!

Yes, should be (just like any other WinTel machine).

I don't think you are going to get any definitive answers at this early stage. You are likely the first to try it as after-market upgrade. A good sign it will work is that the new AW-14 does come pre-configged with a mSata as boot drive. Good luck.

6 Posts

September 14th, 2013 05:00

10x alot man :)

how much did the 256G msata cost you?

Can i install the OS on the mSata and use the HDD as storge only?

27 Posts

September 15th, 2013 00:00

Amazon has the 256GB Plextor mSata drive for $189, here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Plextor-M5M-0-85-Inch-256GB-mSATA/dp/B00B5BRIF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379224632&sr=8-1&keywords=plextor+msata

This is this the mSata drive I used and it worked like a charm. I used Acronis migrate easy to transfer the data from the 750GB internal to the mSata once I deleted enough data so that it would fit on the mSata. When I booted from the mSata drive I had to use the Windows 7 disc to repair my installation then it booted as normal. I formatted the 750GB and use it for storage. I would suggest that you do a full backup then re-install the OS, probably a lot cleaner that way. I'm going to do that with Windows 8 tomorrow. 

BTW...I found a link to a good article on the subject. http://blog.laptopmag.com/triple-your-speed-how-to-install-an-msata-ssd-boot-drive-in-your-laptop

No Events found!