Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2013 23:00

AlienFX Error and other problems.

On booting up my Alienware M17XR4, I recently started getting this error:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010002): Call was canceled by the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))
at System.Management.ThreadDispatch.Start()
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.DeviceWatcherClass.StartHidDeviceInsertedWatcher()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.DeviceWatcherClass.Start()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.AlienFXDeviceDiscoveryService.RegisterForDevicesEvents()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.ObjectFactory.NewAlienFXDeviceDiscovery()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.get_DiscoveryService()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.NewAlienFXDeviceRepository()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.get_AlienFXDeviceRepository()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.LightsZoneController..ctor()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.initializeLightController()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm..ctor()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.Program.Main(String[] args)

On top of that, some programs set to start/login on boot don't even open/appear in the tray despite their processes being open in Task Manager (Skype/Steam). Finally, the wireless icon is stuck in the "Connecting" state, and when I try to open the Network and Sharing Centre, the window is non-responsive.

I've tried stopping the processes and restarting the programs, but they still won't open and I've tried rebooting the laptop but the problems persist. Any help?

September 18th, 2013 05:00

It appears to have fixed itself through no intervention of my own...

• 

2.7K Posts

September 18th, 2013 07:00

Hello Brownietheone!

Is great that you were able to fix it, However if the issue comes back I will recommend you to uninstall the command center, do a BIOS up date and then reinstall the command center again, that might help you.  

September 18th, 2013 16:00

Part of the problem, as it has come back after I shut down and booted up this morning, is that explorer.exe becomes for all intents and purposes, unresponsive. While it was not fixed I was trying to uninstall command centre but couldn't as control panel would lock up when I tried.

3 Posts

September 19th, 2013 10:00

I am having this exact same problem. Any advice to assist would be great.

3 Posts

September 19th, 2013 13:00

Uninstalled Command center, reinstalled, restarted computer, got the following:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010002): Call was canceled by the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))
   at System.Management.ThreadDispatch.Start()
   at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.DeviceWatcherClass.StartHidDeviceInsertedWatcher()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.DeviceWatcherClass.Start()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.AlienFXDeviceDiscoveryService.RegisterForDevicesEvents()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.ObjectFactory.NewAlienFXDeviceDiscovery()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.get_DiscoveryService()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.NewAlienFXDeviceRepository()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.get_AlienFXDeviceRepository()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.LightsZoneController..ctor()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.initializeLightController()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm..ctor()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.Program.Main(String[] args)

And my computer has windows explorer locked up. Can't open task manager, etc. Any suggestions???

19 Posts

September 19th, 2013 15:00

Same problem here.

I even went back and reimaged to a Jun 6th image!!!! ...and the problem came back the next day (I did some software updates after I reimaged though). I'm going to reimage and not d/l any updates of any kind and see if it reapears... 

Also, I get an error msg when I try to apply A11 bios to my m18xR2 saying I need to override some engineering error...

• 

2.7K Posts

September 20th, 2013 08:00

In that case I will recommend doing an alienrespawn or a clean installation of windows, since there is a possibility that windows might be corrupted. 

In order to perform BIOS update is better if you open the folder that contains the driver, do a right click and run it as administrator 

19 Posts

September 20th, 2013 21:00

That didn't help. Excluding C:\Program Files\Alienware from Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) did the trick.

As this is only a workaround and it now leaves this directory vulnerable to viruses, is Dell working on an actual fix?

September 21st, 2013 03:00

The fix I've had to use at the moment was to restore my system to the update before the most recent windows update. It poses a little bit of a security risk doing that, but I need this computer to work, so until there's a fix released this is going to have to be how I handle it.

September 22nd, 2013 23:00

Has a solution been found for this yet? have done the fresh install of command centre, but had no effect, have also done a system restore, but it just came back?

September 25th, 2013 07:00

Dell needs to step up to the plate on this and fix the issue.  I have an Alien with the same issue and this is not acceptable for a "high end" pc.

• 

2.7K Posts

September 25th, 2013 09:00

Have any of you done a clean installation of windows? All those issues are related to software so I will recommend you to perform the clean installation of windows 

September 26th, 2013 02:00

I have solved mine

Just uninstall Microsoft Security essentials, install a different AV {i just got Bitdefender 90 day FREE trial} the problem has now gone.

It gives Dell and Microsoft 90 days to find a solution  :-}

No Events found!