Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2009 17:00

AlienFusion Memory Leak after upgrade to Win7

After upgrading to Windows 7, the AlienFusion service is developing a horrible memory leak.  Task manager reports it's eating up over 800MB of memory and all four cores of my processor are getting slammed, up to 80% busy.  If I end the AlienFusionService.exe process, core usage across the board drops to less than 10%. 

Personally, the entire Alienware Command Center is kludgey and prone to lockups.  Basic theme colors are too limited in AlienFX, AlienSense takes much too long to initialize, and now this problem with the AlienFusion service.  Pretty sloppy for a $4000 computer (m17x). 

Others are having this issue, found a thread here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=415530

1 Message

December 7th, 2009 08:00

FYI I just found out about last weekend about the "Manual" setting for services in Windows....

.....it does NOT mean a service can only start by  "manual" intent from the loged-in user.  A program that somehow has a tie to the service may actually INVOKE that related service to start without the user actually manually doing it despite it being set to "manual".  I never knew this about Windows and have always assumed all these years that "manual" invoking of a service would be required when the service is set to "Manual" start.

So in the case with AlienFusion, instead of setting it to have a "Manual" startup, you may just want to set its startup to "Disabled" instead.  "Disabled" means exactly what it means and the service cannot be invoked even if another dependent application tries to.

All these years and I never knew this about the "Manual" service startup setting....

1 Message

January 19th, 2010 12:00

Have the same problem W/ M17X LAPTOP

Go to dell support and download R232274 update.

uninstall command center (make sure it is totally uninstalled) remove all references of old command center.

Reinstall new command center R232274 update.

Go to services and stop fusion service set it to DISABLED  and forget it. Use windows to configure power options.

Facial recog. should work  but why would you use it??? Disable it in command center and all should be good untill they get it

Figured out.

Mark Steeves

A+,N+,MCSA, MCSE, MCITP.

No Events found!