Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2016 23:00

Alienware 14 Plugged in Not Charging

Hello. I hope you can help.

My Alienware 14 no longer charges above 42%. It will charge, but once it reaches 42% it displays the message 'plugged in, not charging'.

I contacted tech support any they have diagnosed a faulty battery and so I must pay for a replacement, as well as labour charges for an engineer to come and replace.

I purchased the machine October 2014 (with a three-year warranty), and the original battery died in early 2015. It was replaced, and now I am having this problem.

I realize the battery-warranty is only one-year, however when i asked Tech Support if the replacement battery provided last year was new or reconditioned, he stated it was probably reconditioned and I am just 'unlucky'.

I am rather unhappy, and I think 'unlucky' is a bit of an understatement with the constant battery problems. Tech support have laid the blame of the battery issue at my feet, stating poor battery-life is usually caused by the way the laptop is being used.

Considering I have had several laptops over the years, and this is the first time a battery has died twice within the space of a year, I'm not very happy with Malaysian customer service at the moment.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 21st, 2016 10:00

Hi, 

We are sorry to hear about the issues. Which BIOS version are you running with the system? Try doing a power drain. 

• Turn the system off and disconnect the AC adapter.
  • Disconnect the battery.
  • Disconnect all external devices (USB devices, external monitors, headsets, etc.).
  • Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
  • Connect everything again and turn on the system.

January 21st, 2016 22:00

Dear Rodrigo

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

I tried a power drain as suggested. No change I'm afraid.

I just received a quotation from Dell Malaysia, for a new battery, together with the cost of an Engineer to come out and replace the battery.

I guess I don't have a choice.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2016 03:00

Dear Rodrigo

Just wanted to give you an update on my situation.

I have ordered a new battery facilitated by Tech support. I spoke to sales this morning and paid for a new battery.

The sales person then mentioned that the battery comes with a 3-month warranty. I was rather confused and so asked if the battery was new. The Sales person said that is was reconditioned, at which point I asked whether I had paid for a 'new' or a 'reconditioned' battery. 'New' was the reply and so I asked the person to double check.

She came back after a minute and said it was a mistake and the battery is in fact new, however the warranty is still 3-months.

After my conversation, I checked the Dell website which states new batteries carry a one-year warranty. I sent the sales person an email, asking her to confirm in writing that the battery is new. I also mentioned that according to the Dell website, New batteries carry a years warranty, and for her to confirm this.

This was her reply:

"Dear Mr. Mumtaz,

For your information, it’s not under my control to get the warranty period such as long term as 1 year limited warranty.

If you purchase under online order, you’ll get the 1 year limited warranty but I have no idea whether this is refurbished unit or brand new parts.

For my side here, it’s brand new and 3 months warranty period.

Hope that all cleared.

Best  Regards"

I don't really appreciate the tone in the email, and wanted your thoughts on the matter.

I feel I need to escalate this incident as the response is very contradictory, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with Dell Malaysia.

Many thanks

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 08:00

Hi,

I will review your case with my supervisor to confirm is this information is correct. We are sorry about the rep's tone on the email.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 26th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Can you send me your Service Tag in a PM so we can check this further?

January 26th, 2016 17:00

Hi Rodrigo

Just to keep you posted. After I complained about the previous email (above) from sales, I received a rather more considered message from the same sales person:

"Hi Dr. Mumtaz,

For your information , from our side warranty only cover 3 month from invoice date.  If you want me to refund back your money , please inform me then I will proceed refund and you may place the order in our website.

As spoken I already inform you that part only cover for 3 month , as you check in our website is different from our side . only several battery cover that warranty 1 years but that not under spare part that under KITS.

Please inform me if you willing to proceed refund or not. I hope that will clear you on this issue.

Best  Regards"

Not quite sure what KITS is as referred to in message, I suppose bottom line it confirms the 3-month warranty on the battery.

I declined the offer of a refund, as I need a fully functioning laptop for work, In addition, even if i wanted to, I cannot order a battery online, as suggested in the email, as there is no Alienware 14 battery listed in Singapore or Malaysia.

I also asked Malaysian Tech support the status of the warranty on the new battery and the reply was as follows:

'Dear Mumtaz,

Good Day,

1) The battery is a new battery, and the Warranty is only 3 months.

For your reference the Case # is 923167774
Best Regards"

I think I will be very relieved just get to my battery, and a fully functioning laptop. 

Don't get me wrong, Tech support have been excellent with my previous problems and I commend them for this. I don't want this single incident to influence my thinking as I still am very much happy with my Alienware 14. It is a great workhorse.
'FIngers crossed' my new battery, once its arrived, lasts for the foreseeable future.
No Events found!