Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2015 11:00

Alienware 14 WHEA Error ID 18 On Reboot

Good Afternoon,

I am seeing WHEA Error ID 18 (Cache Hierarchy Error) whenever I restart my Alienware 14. The error doesn't seem to happen when I cold boot and I am not seeing any other symptoms. Temperatures seem reasonable and no crashes. The error doesn't appear during the Windows session at all.

Anyone else with an Alienware 14, i7 4700MQ BIOS A09 and Windows 7 seeing this? Tech support is stumped.

I am wondering if this is connected to the A09 BIOS update and Windows 7 as I didn't see this error until last September (I updated my bios sometime around that time I think). Restored to factory defaults with Alien Respawn and the error is still there, so it isn't any driver or application I installed.

Thanks!

4 Posts

March 7th, 2015 10:00

I have run the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool without errors and will be running Memtest and Prime later today.

Anyone else who has a Alienware 14 w/ 4700MQ CPU BIOS A09 on Windows 7 do you see any WHEA errors in your event log on reboot?

Thanks!

671 Posts

March 9th, 2015 13:00

That error is more closely related to an Operating System issue.
But it really doesn't affect the computer at all.

It doesn't make it crash, it doesn't make it under perform. It's just a Windows Error Logger.

I know that you just restored your system to the factory image, but sometimes those errors in the registry get carried over with the Respawn (specially if you kept the files whilst doing the respawn).

Best way to solve it all together.
Try opening the CMD as an administrator and type in: /sfc scannow

Hit enter and have it run. (It will take approx. 15min)

If there are no integrity issues found
My recommendation would be to re install the OS completely.

No Events found!