Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2013 16:00

Alienware 14x Hard Drive Dead

Alienware 14x for 1/2012 just with out of warranty and HHD now appears to be dead.

Boot error:

PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

ePSA Pre-Boot System Assessment: Error  MSG: Hard Drive - No Hard Drive detected

Dell has cut off other support option other than paid support option.

2K Posts

February 21st, 2013 20:00

Hi SWAK2013,

Request you to follow the below steps:

(1) Is the drive seen in the BIOS?

Restart the computer, keep tapping F2 key, BIOS screen appears.

(2) Swap the drive: If possible swap the drive with another system to isolate the problem to the drive or the system.

(3) Reseat the drive: If no other drive is available to swap with, physically remove the hard drive and check the connector for damage. If you find no damage, reseat the drive securely in the bay.

You may use the below link for the user manual which will help:

http://bit.ly/YKk7yo  Alienware M14x

(4) Once all these are done do run the ePSA test again.

Do reply with your findings.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/QjjZDA

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi Kiran,

[No Hard Drive Detected]

(2) Swap the drive: If possible swap the drive with another system to isolate the problem to the drive or the system.

Swapped in a borrowed 80 GB HDD which seems to work fine; a lot smaller than my 750 GB

(3) Reseat the drive: If no other drive is available to swap with, physically remove the hard drive and check the connector for damage. If you find no damage, reseat the drive securely in the bay.

Did this first before swapping still no detected

After steps 1 & 3 --- no hard drive message

After step 2 - did not attemp; the HDD boots into Windows on that drive

Can't believe less than month out of warranty, I am hosed. This laptop wasn't used everyday and it has always had laptop rack with duel fans. Now, once I give back the borrowed 80 GB HDD my computer becomes a red brick.

I believe that I have been a good and frequent Dell/Alienware customer. Now, I have little faith in the product. I can understand a HDD burning out in 3 years maybe after 2 years but 13 months.

Disappointed,

SWAK

2.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2013 09:00

Hi Kiran,

[No Hard Drive Detected]

Swapped in a borrowed 80 GB HDD which seems to work fine; a lot smaller than my 750 GB

Did this first before swapping still no detected

After steps 1 & 3 --- no hard drive message

After step 2 - did not attemp; the HDD boots into Windows on that drive

Can't believe less than month out of warranty, I am hosed. This laptop wasn't used everyday and it has always had laptop rack with duel fans. Now, once I give back the borrowed 80 GB HDD my computer becomes a red brick.

I believe that I have been a good and frequent Dell/Alienware customer. Now, I have little faith in the product. I can understand a HDD burning out in 3 years maybe after 2 years but 13 months.

Disappointed,

SWAK

If you use the HDD in another device does it work? With #2 it seems the system can detect so try your 750gb in another system. The idea of #2 was really to try your hard drive in another system to rule it out from being defective not to use another drive in your system. If it doesn't work then it could be dead.

Why not renew your warranty? It's really worth the price. You don't buy a Dell or Alienware just for the system, you buy for that warranty. Piece of mind has no price.

As far has hard drives. I have one here that is 9 years old and still ticking. It's slow being outdated but it works.  I have also had some fail in less then a month. I remember paying $150 for a 2TB drive and it lasted a week. Just how it goes.

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 08:00

I don't have another device (laptop) to try the suspect HDD.

However, the if the system fails to load due the HDD and the BOIS Diagnostic does not detect the HDD and if my recovery disk & the original OEM Windows disk fail to see the HDD then a borrowed HDD work and boots with error. It really seems to isolated the HDD. This should be the same as  testing the same HDD in a second laptop. A second laptop which I don't have.    NOTE: Also, the suspect HHD had been pulled and reseated and retested with all the same results.

I love the suggestion of "spend more money with Dell/Alienware" and upgrade your warranty. Instead a more honest suggestion should have been just a new HDD at the same or less cost then the Dell upgrade price; in addition, with a longer manufacture's warranty. I guess it not about customer service or tech support with "Dell/Alienware" anymore it's now "sell, sell, sell".

Thanks everyone's time and patience.

83 Posts

February 23rd, 2013 10:00

well, drives fail, its electronic,they got higher failure rate latelty then ever.....

buying extended warranty is valid option, dont know why you dont see this, but if one parts fails... whats next.. and when, isnt a few bucks(prolly  around same price as a drive anyway for a year)  worth peice of mind,

I just spent 4g's on a M18X... yea i know imma be  flamed here for it but  i miss my M17X, anyway i spent 900 on 4 year accidental warranty...... why cause i spent more on the laptop then i did my truck :O

bought my Jeep.. opted for extended warranty/service plan

bought my suv.. opted for extended warranty/service plan

bought my truck.... you get the picture....

a little now might be worth alot later...... kinda like driving with insurance, its law here but hell i never been hit so why do i need it......  cause damn well know  the day i cancel  il get hit and nailed for it :O kinda like you found out with warranty...  it ended and BAM! failure...lol

call and find out what it costs, dosent hurt..... if its outrageous price, il side with you  

7 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 06:00

Hi Kiran,

I don't know if you're still active on these boards, so I thought I'd give it a try. I followed your suggestion, and those of other posters on this thread (to the best of my ability). I was only unable to seat the HDD in another laptop, because I don't have access to one. The first time I ran the ePSA diagnostic, I received the following error information (summary):

"Event Data: Fail PSA V4206 Error 2000:0150. Hard Drive - No Hard Drive Detected"

Like I stated, I followed suggestions given and a straight cold boot to BIOS, BIOS still does not see a HDD. In any case, I still receive an error, after exiting BIOS, that presents as follows.

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)

Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.6(09/28/10)

Check cable connection!

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I re-ran the ePSA pre-boot system assessment anyway. All systems passed, except the HDD. The following information came up this time, which didn't present the first time I ran the ePSA.

"Error Code 2000-01 42

Validation 8559

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N 6WS0YLMX, self test unsuccessful. Status = 79

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing?"

So, from that error code, are you able to tell me whether the HDD is borked? Any insight and/or guidance is greatly appreciated. I believe the Dell warranty expired. However, at the time of purchase, I opted-in for the 3 year SquareTrade warranty. Now, to find that paperwork...LOL...

Cordially,

Scott

PS: The M14x service manual, etc., is no longer available at that ftp address you provided. I did find it at archive dot org, however. Cheers

7 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 06:00

Hi Kiran,

I don't know if you're still active on these boards, so I thought I'd give it a try. I followed your suggestion, and those of other posters on this thread (to the best of my ability). I was only unable to seat the HDD in another laptop, because I don't have access to one. BIOS still does not see a HDD. In any case, I still receive an error, after exiting BIOS, that presents as follows.

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)

Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.6(09/28/10)

Check cable connection!

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I re-ran the ePSA pre-boot system assessment anyway. All systems passed, except the HDD. The following information came up this time, which didn't present the first time I ran the ePSA.

"Error Code 2000-01 42

Validation 8559

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N 6WS0YLMX, self test unsuccessful. Status = 79

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing?"

So, from that error code, are you able to tell me whether the HDD is borked? Any insight and/or guidance is greatly appreciated. I believe the Dell warranty expired. However, at the time of purchase, I opted-in for the 3 year SquareTrade warranty. Now, to find that paperwork...LOL...

Cordially,

Scott

PS: The M14x service manual, etc., is no longer available at that ftp address you provided. I did find it at archive dot org, however. Cheers

1 Message

July 16th, 2015 09:00

Alienware Aurora R4 (Late 2011)

Got no hard drive detect.

No boot device.

i can not find my recovery disc.  Please advise, what can I do?

If I purchase another hard drive but have no disc to recover.

Can I order another copy of recovery disc for my computer?  And how?

No Events found!