Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2016 03:00

Alienware 15-R1, mDP question

Anyone know what version the mDP is on the back of the 15-R1?  What is the max resolution/refresh it supports?  I've searched the internet and not even the Dell specifications sheet really gives the answer.

62 Posts

June 26th, 2016 17:00

Using a mDP to HDMI 2.0 adapter by UpTAB, I was able to get 4K 60hz on my Samsung TV on my A15 R1 - I had to create a custom resolution profile in the Intel driver panel to use a different timing than the default - had to use CVT - RB -  but I was able to get it working at 60!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 05:00

You should purchase a mDP to DP cable and then test it on an external monitors DP in port and post the resolution results for all. Be sure to notate what GPU is installed in your results.

62 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 05:00

Wait a sec...so Dell expects me to buy a 4k display and a high refresh HD display and post the results, instead of knowing what their own products have and can support?  I'll gladly test if you send me the displays to test it with.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 06:00

No, any external monitor laying around with DP in will work to see what the resolutions supported are for that monitor. A quick google search reveals that the mDP out is DP 1.2. But the maximum out resolution is unknown by Dell. Users will simply need to test this and post their results for all.

62 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 09:00

I searched google and couldn't find it - the official spec sheet pdf just shows "mini display port", but given the generation I would assume it's 1.2 on the R1 of the 15".  Basically I just want to know if I get a mDP to HDMI 2.0 adapter that supports 4k@60hz if it will work, since the R1 only has an HDMI 1.4 port that can't support it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 26th, 2016 21:00

Using a mDP to HDMI 2.0 adapter by UpTAB, I was able to get 4K 60hz on my Samsung TV on my A15 R1 - I had to create a custom resolution profile in the Intel driver panel to use a different timing than the default - had to use CVT - RB -  but I was able to get it working at 60!

Good work and thanks for posting.    Its always good to see someone using the DisplayPort in an advanced config and capabilities.

No Events found!