Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2017 01:00

Alienware 15 R2 HDD light permanently on

Greetings,

I installed a 2nd m.2 SSD into the 2nd slot, now the hdd light turns on permanently. If I remove the SSD, and boot only with the main SSD (where win 10 is installed), it's working normally.

I've done all the check including making sure there are no backgroup apps running.

Please help.

Thank you.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

This is not a problem with the HDD, it only appears that the SSD is not compatible with the LED controller.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2017 11:00

So, the Samsung 960EVO M.2 SSD works in that slot? The only problem is the LED HDD activity light stays on?

4 Posts

Yes that's correct. It's working fine it's just that the HDD light stays permanently on. 

4 Posts

The SSD is a Samsung 960EVO, I'm not sure if anyone else is having the same issue But the LED works fine if I install windows on RAID mode instead of AHCI?

The Samsung 960 EVO is configured to be with the first m.2 ssd slot and the original SM951 ssd goes into the 2nd slot. 

I've tried reversing both of them but i have no luck. Is there another compatible SSD that I should try ??

It's kinda annoying to have the HDD light on all the time because I wouldn't know if anything is being accessed. 

Thank you. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2017 12:00

Then I would not worry too much.

However, it would be nice if ‌ would file the issue with Alienware Engineering, so that they can look into fixing it with a BIOS update. Samsung drives should work 100% properly in Dells and Alienwares, especially considering their current working relationship.

As for the HDD Activity light ... just so you know ... I have a Lenovo X1-Carbon and HP EliteBook Folio ... both with NO HDD Activity light what-so-ever. With laptops that really only hold SSDs, it appears the industry has deemed it unnecessary. Even on my new Aurora-R6 Desktop, they hide it on the back ports panel. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2017 13:00

Yes, I already passed the feedback to engineering. Hopefully they will take it into consideration for a future Bios update. 

4 Posts

May 11th, 2017 09:00

Ok thanks! Just additional information, the light actually stays on as soon as Windows 10 is booting not when the machine boots up. I installed Fedora on the 2nd SSD and the HDD light stays normal.

No Events found!