Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2016 21:00

Alienware 15 R2 Touchpad Problems

I've had this Alienware 15 R2 laptop for about 3 hours - already I'm having troubles with the touchpad.

The touchpad gestures (two finger swipe to scroll) is disabled until the computer is restarted or woken from sleep.

Further, the trackpad occasionally stops working altogether.

I have no idea where to start. I've just switched over from Mac, so fixing driver problems on Windows 10 isn't my forte.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

9 Posts

August 9th, 2016 02:00

Hello johosh,

I hope you did not lose hope :-) try to do following:

You will need a USB mouse because your touchpad will be without drivers for a while.

Go to this website: www.dell.com/.../ -> in the little bar there put in your service tag(service tag is located on the back of your laptop) and click submit.

It will open a website with your alienware laptop. On the left side select "Drivers & downloads". Click "find it myself"

There should be something like mouse & keyboard or touchpad devices: and download the touchpad driver: my driver for touchpad is called "Synaptics Touchpad Driver" so I guess yours will be the same since we have the same model.

IMPORTANT: while you are on the DELL DRIVERS website also download the BIOS update for your laptop. There is a one week old new release and the old version could cause your issues with touchpad - always keep your BIOS updated! But first start with reinstalling the touchpad driver itself. Then when its done...flash BIOS to newer version. You will need your laptop to be plugged to power source once flashing bios.

Once you have the drivers downloaded do the following:

1) press start -> to the bar write device manager -> right click on it and press run as administrator: a window will open

2) find "mice and other pointing deivces"

3) there right click on the touchpad driver and select uninstall(tick the option where it asks to remove the driver from PC)

4) reboot your laptop

Once you come back to windows, use your mouse to navigate to your touchpad driver you have downloaded and install it.

Once its finished, reboot your laptop and try your touchpad. If it works or not, also flash the BIOS to the newer version!

I hope some of the steps will help you with your issue.

Have a great day and good luck!

Regards

Mike

4 Posts

August 10th, 2016 09:00

Interesting story... true story...

This worked fine for a day, and as I began writing this response it reverted and no longer works.

Time to contact support.

Thanks for the attempt, Mike

No Events found!