Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2013 03:00

Alienware 17 FX lights

Hi, I've recently purchased an alienware 17. It's working great but yesterday the lights stopped working. When I change the FX profile or do a quick change the lights come on for a few seconds then switch off. They also switch on for a few seconds when I power on the laptop.

I've done a bit of goggling and alot of issues I found people having with the older model. 17x but I couldnt really find anything with the new 17.

Things I've tried to fix the issue.. 
Update to A05 Bios, Did a full system diagnosis. Came back ok, Reinstalled the command centre software (3.0.29.0). Next step I guess is an OS re-install?
Has anyone else had this issue or could provide some assistance? I'm thinking of calling support. I've only had it 14 days.

October 15th, 2013 05:00

Random desperation?

After I finished typing the last post, I restarted for the 50th time after installing windows updates and reinstalling the control center. Here's what got my lights working again... at least, for the moment. I quick-changed my colour. 2 seconds and then black again. I enabled 'Dim lighting zones' and the lights actually CAME ON. ? And they stayed on. I disabled 'Dim lighting zones' and the lights became brighter, and stayed on. Let me know if this works for you. I think I'll make sure any auto-dimming is turned off from now on. Seems there's some insidious bug with it.

October 15th, 2013 04:00

my lights seem to do their own thing too sometimes on my m18.

its alien FX control, its glitchy. Also, when you play certain games they make take control of your alienFX. you can disable this feature too.

Try reinstalling alienFX if you haven't already.

4 Posts

Random desperation ftw?

After I finished typing the last post, I restarted for the 50th time after installing windows updates and reinstalling the control center. 

Here's what got my lights working again... at least, for the moment.

I quick-changed my colour. 2 seconds and then black again.

I enabled 'Dim lighting zones' and the lights actually CAME ON. ? And they stayed on.

I disabled 'Dim lighting zones' and the lights became brighter, and stayed on.

Let me know if this works for you. I think I'll make sure any auto-dimming is turned off from now on. Seems there's some insidious bug with it.

Fantastic. I'm going to be trying this! I'll let you know if it works. *Frustrating*

4 Posts

Hi FLEISCHSALAT, It's good and bad I guess to find someone that has the same issue. I'm not sure when it 'exactly' happened or even what I was doing. I just noticed it yesterday when I started up. I also only have steam and the free DOTA2 game installed really. Not alot else. I've tried to update everything to it's latest drivers etc.

Like you when I change profiles the lights in the correct colour appear but only for a few seconds. I think I've spent about 3 hours tonight trying to fix it, basically doing everything you have done. I've also tried un-installing dotNet, and disabling UAC in windows 8. Not sure what else next..

I'll keep looking around and trying things and If I find something I'll post here. I'm sure if were having the same issue that there is a good possibility others are as well!

It is frustrating not having the lights. It's not a 'must have' for me but I just paid alot for the laptop. 

I have the exact same problem with the new Alienware 17. As we speak I am currently still trying to fix it, it's really annoying me. Mine started doing this at roughly two weeks as well. 2 - 3 seconds of lights when I boot/change profiles and then darkness.

I have done all the things you have done, as well. I have followed various guides on how to 'properly delete' the command center. I have updated all my drivers, removed all software I have installed, etc.

I too found all the old posts on older models where people accidentally downgraded their control center which upset the firmware on their fx chip. I'm beginning to wonder if somehow the firmware on mine has become corrupted (I am not sure how, I had literally done nothing to my system apart from install a couple of games).

What were you doing when this happened? Maybe we can compare notes.

I had left mine idling, and my profile was set to dim the display and go dark on the fx after some period time, which it had done a few times previously. However, the lights never came back on when I moved the mouse. 

I really hope we can get some answer on this soon, as I am very disappointed after spending a small fortune on Alienware :(

4 Posts

It worked. I've literally been at this for hours. All I did was Dim the light settings then they came on. 

Your a legend Fleischsalat. Hopefully this will help someone else with the same issue.

It worked. I've literally been at this for hours. All I did was Dim the light settings then they came on. 

Your a legend Fleischsalat. Hopefully this will help someone else with the same issue.

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked for you too!

Like you I wasn't fussed about the lights, at least, they weren't a factor in my decision to buy AW. But when I got it, I realised how much I like having a backlit keyboard. And then when the lights stopped working two weeks in, and several hours of uninstalling and updating stuff didn't fix it -- my alienware experience was becoming tainted rather quickly :)

Hopefully this thread saves others the frustrations we had!

1 Message

November 5th, 2013 04:00

Well, I spent a lot of time yesterday (and a lot of frustration!) trying to fix the same issue. Decided to check the forum, and found this, did it and it worked straight away. Thanks for sharing!

3 Posts

November 10th, 2013 16:00

Oh my god! It works like a charm! I totally got crazy with these lights who don't work ! I was already thinking to call Dell and return my Alienware 17 to the technical support... 

You're the best FLEISCHSALAT ! :D

6 Posts

November 14th, 2013 00:00

I'm having the same exact problem with my Alienware 17 . I can't seem to find the 'Dim lighting zones' .. pointer please??

November 14th, 2013 01:00

I'm having the same exact problem with my Alienware 17 . I can't seem to find the 'Dim lighting zones' .. pointer please??

It's on the popup menu if you right click alienFX in your system tray. 

6 Posts

November 14th, 2013 02:00

Thank you! I was looking for the 'dim lighting zones' for a good 20mins after I read this post and as soon as I posted for help I found it...lol, but the point is I was in panic mode trying to figure out what had happened to the lighting since this laptop is bran new + no warranty. I tried everything that every other post recommend but lucky I came across this one, because  it worked for me also! You are a life saver! 

1 Message

November 21st, 2013 07:00

im having similar issues to all of you guys, just bought my alienware 17 a few weeks ago. my issues differs a little from everyone elses i believe. i have an issue where my lights are stuck on, mostly the whole left side. the right side has no colour and neither does the back cover where the alien guy's head is. and i cant get it to fix no matter what i do.

November 26th, 2013 08:00

OMG it worked.  Identical issue here.  I was staring at the "dim lighting zones" options last night but didn't do anything as brilliant as you have - actually play with the to see what happens.  I was about to do everything else you have already done. then tried your crazy fix and it worked.  I actually took a vide of the problem and of applying the fix showing that it worked - will pop it on YouTube shortly and credit you.

Here is the video showing the problem and Fleischsalat's fix:

1 Message

January 11th, 2014 16:00

Hey,

same Problem here, looked up the hole internet to get an solution for this Problem.

My Alienware is an AW17 with the i7 4700 Nvidia 770m and Windows 7.

I got my Alienware 17 only a week ago and i thought  about sending it back to Alienware if there was no solution.

All startet after closing my Laptop while i was ingame, i forgott that i hadn´t removed the sleep trigger in the energie management.

Tried almost everything like reinstalling AWCC  Biosreset and other stuff  but no respond. After 3 Days! i found this thread.

Thanks a lot, but we might should write the solution in German as well becaus when you´re typing something like "AlienFX licht leuchten kurz auf" you won´t finde anything that helps.

Maybe dell could do something about this till there is an update for the AWCC.

Hopefully you get what i mean despite my bad english :-P

No Events found!