Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2016 05:00

Alienware 17 Keys not Working

Hi all. I recently got a brand new Alienware 17 laptop just 4 days ago and all of the keyboard keys used to work perfectly fine before I played a game called Chivalry: Medieval Warfare on Steam. I have no idea what is wrong with the keys that don't work and I also noticed that I couldn't use them when I was in the game either. Last night I had the exact same issues with the keys not working and so, frustrated, I decided to go to bed seeing as to how it was incredibly late anyways. This morning when I woke up, the keyboard was back to normal again. I don't know what fixed it and I really wish that I could have found out what it was that fixed the keyboard, and also what is messing up the keyboard. I decided to try Chivalry again earlier today to see if everything was fine and would stay fine but it messed up my keys again.

The specific keys don't work as soon as I start up the laptop.

Here is a list of all the keys not working (separated with dashes): x - c - v - ,< - ' " - 1! - numpad 5 - right shift - numpad enter - /?

I do not have an external keyboard that I can plug in. I have tried to edit i8042prt's Start and (Default) values with regedit. I have tried to use SharpKeys to assign keys to the non-working ones (and they can't be detected either). I have both restarted and shut down the computer multiple times. I have turned off Sticky Keys, Toggle Keys, and Filter Keys. Device Manager tells me that the Standard PS/2 keyboard's driver is up to date and that the device is working properly.

I would like to continue playing Chivalry but if I need to uninstall it to get the keyboard working again, then I will. Please help me, and thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 20th, 2016 15:00

Hello,

You can try doing a power drain first. To perform a power drain, follow the steps below.

1. Turn the system off and disconnect the power cord. 
  2. Disconnect all external devices (mouse, keyboard, etc)
  3. Disconnect the battery
  4. Press and hold the power button for 1 minute.
  5. Connect everything again and turn on the system.

You can try removing and reinstalling the Synaptics driver.

Also try updating the system BIOS.

June 21st, 2016 15:00

Hello Alex, I tried removing and reinstalling the Synaptics driver and updating the system BIOS as you suggested before deciding to call Dell's Alienware support number. After spending quite some time over the phone discussing ideas on how to fix the keys, a fix was never found. Instead we will be taking the Alienware back and getting a brand new one as a replacement. Thank you for your help anyways. :) Also, I just realized this morning that I mistakenly wrote Alienware 17 R3 when I just meant Alienware 17.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 08:00

Oh, ok. Thank you for the update!

No Events found!