Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2015 18:00

Alienware 17 R2 5GHZ wireless upload speeds are near zero.

I am able to get close to 150mbit downloads on 5ghz but upload speed tests usually come out at 0.1mbit or worse.  

If I switch to 2.4ghz my download speeds are much worse (~20-40mbit) but upload is better (~18mbit).  

All tests are done in the same room < 10 feet from the router.  

My hardline speed tests show 350/25 and my wireless router is the Arris TG1672G.  

Unfortunately I don't have an alternate known good 5ghz device/router combo to compare to.  

I am using the drivers from the dell support site (which probably are intended for windows 8.1 but I am using windows 10).  

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 24th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Can you explain how you switch from 5ghz to 2.4ghz? Did this started happening after you upgraded to Windows 10?

8 Posts

Oh and your second question,  I didn't try windows 8.1 I installed a fresh copy of windows 8.1 as soon as I received this laptop then immediately upgraded it to windows 10.  

8 Posts

It's a dual-band router that has 2 different network IDs so I just select the 2.4ghz or 5ghz network. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 25th, 2015 07:00

Hello, 

It’s hard to determine if this could be something with your router/ISP or a hardware/software problem with the wireless card. From what I understand, this does not happen with the LAN correct? The drivers listed for Windows 8.1 are compatible with Windows 10, so the ones you are using should be fine. Make sure your system is running the latest Bios firmware, click here for the download link. If possible, test the speeds in safe mode to check if they are any better.

8 Posts

August 25th, 2015 16:00

Upgrading from A04 to A05 had no impact.  I booted up in safe mode w/networking enabled but only my ethernet worked (which doesn't have any issues).  I ordered a new ASUS RT-AC68U router will let you know if this fixes the issue when it arrived in a few days.  I don't have another 5ghz capable device to determine if the issue is with the router or the laptop.  BTW, when I first start the speed test it will burst up to 12mbit+ for about 1 second then it drops back to ~0.1mbit/s.  I have the same results if I try to copy a file from my laptop to my desktop over the network.  Hope it's a bad router thanks for your help!    

8 Posts

August 28th, 2015 15:00

Problem resolved as soon as I connected to the new router I was able to get full upload speeds @ 5ghz.  Strangely enough my samsung galaxy s3 phone was able to get full upload speeds @5ghz on the old router so there may yet be a setting I overlooked.  Thanks ! 

No Events found!