Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2015 11:00

Alienware 17 R2 crashing and freezing regularly

I received this machine almost 2 weeks ago, with the GTX 980m, i7-4980HQ and 16GB RAM. I have the 240w power supply. A few days ago, my computer got the BSoD, so I started it back up. A few hours later, I was playing a game when the game crashed (I assumed it was the game's fault) and then about 10 minutes later my screen froze whilst browsing the internet and I COULD NOT move the mouse, open up the Task Manager, or anything. It was completely unresponsive. The only way I could restart the computer was by force-shutting it down.

The next day, it froze again five times (three of which were when loading up a game, one whilst browsing the internet and one whilst the computer was in sleep mode and the animated screen saver was playing - but it stopped and I couldn't do anything to get rid of it) and it also got the BSoD whilst browsing again.

Today whilst in sleep mode it froze again, the animated screen saver stopped and I couldn't do ANYTHING but force-shut down the computer. That's more than enough times to figure out that this isn't right...?

Also worth mentioning is now all of my games run at about 1/4 of the speed, so basically I can't play them. Before the crashing they could run fine at 60fps!!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 12th, 2015 07:00

Hello, 

Were you able to see any blue screen stop error codes? There is a way you can retrieve this information, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to view the blue screen stop error codes. This can help us determine what could be causing the crashes.

We recommend reinstalling the video card drivers first. Both the Intel and Nvidia drivers. Click here for the Intel driver download link. For the Nvidia driver, try the latest one from the Nvidia website, click here for the download link. After reinstalling both drivers, test the system to confirm if it still crashes. Let us know how it goes. 

1 Message

January 2nd, 2016 13:00

I'm getting the same issue but I can't install the intel driver because it says my computer does not meet the minimum requireemnts for the system. I have a 17 R2 with Windows 10.

No Events found!