Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 18th, 2017 04:00

Alienware 17 R2, disable intergated Intel GPU or force to use additional Radeon GPU

Hi,

I have Alienware 17 R2, with integrated with motherboard Intel graphic card and Radeon as additional graphic card.

Problem is that most of games want to use Intel instead of Radeon, Intel is weak so games are lagging/freezing with sometimes 1fps.

What would you recommend? 

I have tried to go to control panel > device manager > disable intel, but when intel is disabled strange things like to happen. But games works fine, I can see that they use Radeon after such move.

I have all drivers up to date, intel, radeon, windows, and all alienware drivers too.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2017 13:00

December 19th, 2017 00:00

Hi Eimy,

I have seen this, however I do have Intel, not NVIDIA as my integrated graphic.

This is my setup: 
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 19th, 2017 12:00

Yes, so follow the Switchable Graphics > manual configuration part in the article.

December 20th, 2017 00:00

It's not helping, even while I add game to be used by redeon it still opens using intel.

so I have to disable intel in device manager while I want to play, once I finish I need to enable it.

but this is not perfect solution. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 20th, 2017 11:00

Do you have an external monitor connected?

December 20th, 2017 11:00

no, I do not have external monitor, jsut laptop on it's own without any additional things.

I bet that this might be failure of Alienware as they did not gave their products appropriate support.

SOFTWARE:

I have checked that with: win7, win8, win8.1, win10 (currently), and no matter what windows I use it's still the same.

I have also tried to use different drivers, currently all possible drivers are up to date. well I have that issue for almost 3 years now, so if that would be something with intel, amd etc. they would fix that with one of the updates.

HARDWARE:

maybe both graphic cards does not like each other, but why Alienware would sell those laptops with such setup if there is such problem.

--------

one ond only solution during 3 years that I came up for is disable intel in device manager while I want to play, once I finish I need to enable it. but this is not perfect solution as I need to enable it while not playing. looks like windows is using intel so things like folders etc. do not show up correctly with disabled intel card.

No Events found!