Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 7th, 2016 06:00

Alienware 17 R3 Disconnecting keyboard/touchpad

Hello, i'm new here. i just bought an alienware 17 R3 with 250 gb M.2 and 1Tb HDD.

I had some problems regarding drivers, First of all i had problems with the Killer Wifi, but i solved it with an update from the official webpage. Then was the bluetooth device (i use microsoft sculpt comfort mouse) but, again, i solved it with an update of the drivers.

Now i'm facing a worse problem.

I play on the notebook a lot, but i've faced an issue that is <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>. The keyboard and touchpad randomly disables when playing, and i don't know what to do. I've tried updating the BIOS, but it didn't work for me. I did delete the keyboar mousepad driver and it worked, but it was temporary, because it did not take long until it happened again (about 30 minutes or so).

can someone help me with this issue

Thanks in advance!

10 Posts

March 8th, 2016 10:00

Hello Rodrigo, I've tried with an external keyboard, and it works perfectly. 

even more. When i play without the external keyboard, and the problem appears, i use an external keyboard and (sometimes) the integrated keyboard works again. 

I've tried rebooting the notebook, and it also works. 

I'm starting to think that the problem is driver related, but i can't find any driver driver to download and install.

oh, and another thing. Does Dell have an update notificator, where when you release a new driver, the computer itself shows a pop-up and ask me if i want to download and install the driver?

Thanks in advance!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 8th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

It could be a hardware problem with the way the touchpad or keyboard is installed. Have you by any chance tested an external keyboard or mouse to confirm if the same issue occurs?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 9th, 2016 11:00

Hi, 

Are you showing any errors in Device Manager? Dell does not have an update notification but all of the system drivers and applications can be downloaded from the support site. If your system is missing a driver, Windows may detect it and install it automatically. 

10 Posts

March 9th, 2016 12:00

Hi, 

Are you showing any errors in Device Manager? Dell does not have an update notification but all of the system drivers and applications can be downloaded from the support site. If your system is missing a driver, Windows may detect it and install it automatically. 

Hello Rodrigo, 
In device manager it doesn't show any errors. but in the event viewer, it shows me a lot of warnings, critical errors, errors, information and audit failure.
I'm assuming that is because of corrupted OS. 
Attached i show you the Event viewer

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 10th, 2016 10:00

Hi, 

Thank you for confirming this.

Do you know how to boot into Safe Mode? If this is a software issue being caused by a driver or another program, it may work fine in Safe Mode. Can you try testing this?

10 Posts

March 10th, 2016 11:00

Hi, 

Thank you for confirming this.

Do you know how to boot into Safe Mode? If this is a software issue being caused by a driver or another program, it may work fine in Safe Mode. Can you try testing this?

You know what? that's the only try i have to do... when i get home i'll try that and i'll update again.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 11th, 2016 10:00

Great, let us know how it goes. 

10 Posts

March 14th, 2016 14:00

Ok, Did a few test and discovered this:

on Safe Mode windows shows the same errors on the same intervals.

I tried installing windows 10 (iso from dell) on another disk (i had one on my house, i didn't want to lose all the software already installed) and it shows the same errors on the same intervals (on the Event Viewer)

I tried a clean windows 10 iso from microsoft (on the disk i mentioned before), and everything worked almost good (the event viewer did show some errors, but not as the original and dell's), but everytime i put any game, the keyboard and touchpad instantly turns off.

It kinda depresses me, because i have to use the computer with a keyboard and mouse attached to the notebook, and makes it kinda bulky. I have too a microsoft sculpt comfort mouse, but i cannot use it because it disconnects sometimes. 

Right now i'm with the stock install of alienware, the one it came and i didn't touch anything else (250gb SSD with Windows 10 from alienware -out of the box- and the 1 TB HDD for the games). 

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 17th, 2016 08:00

Hi, 

I can’t think of anything else that could be causing this issue. Considering the troubleshooting procedures you have already tried including reinstalling Windows, I doubt this is a software problem. If your system is in warranty, send me your Service Tag in a PM for hardware assistance. 

10 Posts

March 21st, 2016 09:00

MP Sent same day. Still no response.

No Events found!