Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TC

August 17th, 2016 08:00

Alienware 17-R3, Thermals and throttling at 4.0GHz

I imagine this topic has been done to death on here, but it's a nightmare trying to find something relevant given how many variants of AW devices are in existence now.  So apologies if this is old news.

I've got a 2015 17 R3, 6820HK, 980M 8GB.  At the time it was top of the line maxed out.

AW still have on the sales page that their 6820HK can be clocked up to 4.1GHz, I cannot get that and I've yet to see many who can, so I've been running it at 4.0GHz which is close enough.  It's not what I thought I was buying though.  And the OC level 3 profile in the BIOS blue screens on boot.

However, the thermals are absolutely shocking.  The fans scream and after monitoring via HWMonitor, I can see it's thermal throttling so badly that it's spending more time at the 3.0GHz mark than anywhere near 4.0GHz.

So I dialed it back a bit and ran it at 3.7GHz, but even still it's hitting upwards of 97 and throttling down to less than 3.0GHz.  

If I disable the OC profile in the BIOS and run stock settings, it runs at around 88 degrees but even under full load will hover around 3.2GHz which isn't acceptable when I bought this unit on strength of the sales pitch of 4.1GHz.  I use this for 3D CAD work which is highly clock speed sensitive, so this is really not acceptable.

Anyone got any advice for these units on how to run it around 4.0GHz without it savagely throttling due to thermals? I've read about people suggesting opening it up and re-applying thermal paste... again though that's not something I should have to be doing on a new unit trying to run it within the advertised limits.  I appreciate that doesn't leave many options but it's worth an ask.  

2016-08-17_15-12-36.jpg

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 18th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Install this new BIOS update that was released today here, then try the OC Level 3 again. Also check temps and let me know how it goes!

August 18th, 2016 17:00

Hey, thanks for the reply.  I've just updated to that new BIOS and can confirm it still blue screens at OC level 3, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.  The temps didn't get a chance to go high, they hit around 79 before it then blue screened under a moderate amount of CPU load.

My suspicion is that AW have advertised the 6820HK at being able to run at 4.1GHz without validating a wide range of samples, 4.1GHz is looking like a target frequency that only a minority of chips are able to reach.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 18th, 2016 20:00

hello, just the messenger here; see page 15, posts 146 147 149 Where are the new Alienwares? NBR is a place to get advice & commiserate with like-minded people, a place for disgruntled Alien fans, as it were. You can find out how to 're-paste', why to, what to use, & then belly-ache in public to people who feel your pain because they share your pain; it's a support community, kind of like adult children of alcoholics, catch my drift ...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 19th, 2016 15:00

I will escalate this with engineering and to keep you informed, please send me a PM with the service tag.

August 20th, 2016 06:00

I watched that video before posting this.  Its a very confusing video, he's titled it 'OC lvl 3' problem and then proceeded to manually overclock his system to 4GHz.  The OC lvl 3 preset is supposed to be a 4.1GHz overclock.  I can run my system at 4 with severe thermal throttling, but cannot get 4.1

314 Posts

August 20th, 2016 06:00

314 Posts

August 20th, 2016 08:00

You do understand Alienware OC level 3 is garbage right? I always get BSOD with it.

Alienware OC Level 3 profile promises 4.1GHz. That means 1 core at that 4.1GHz frequency, NOT 4 cores. I think 2 cores would be 3.8, and 4 cores would be 3.7GHz.

That youtube video is the best method since all 4 cores run at 4GHz.

Is it worth it to OC? At best you gain only 15% performance (4GHz 4 cores) but at same time you deteriorate the longevity of the CPU.

I am super happy how fast the 3.2GHz turbo boost the i7 6820hk offers.

I assume you do CAD stuffs, your CAD program doesn't take advantage of CUDA from the 980M? Put that 980M to work. The 980M is way more powerful than any CPU if your CAD program supports it.

I certainly take advantage of it with my Adobe CC 2015 programs.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 20th, 2016 09:00

Rinneh Daniel & iUnlok have offered suggestions for you at NBR, which includes a link to a post attempting a 4.3 oc on NBR as well; do join the owner's community there actively or passively. JohnKsSS - one of the top 5 US overclockers - is now attempting for the 1st time to put an Asus 6820 through the ringer of his learned hands: follow his post & progress as I'm sure iUnlock will be doing, in fact dozens of people would like to see what the King can do with that Cpu. It may not be relevant to your model, but you should find something of value at NBR brother: Investigating 6820HK performance and overclock

No Events found!