Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2016 16:00

Alienware 17 overheating because of fan?

Hello, recently I have been having issues with my computer doing something that seems to be overheating but I have reasons that it could also not be overheating. Anyways after about 15 - 60 minutes of use my entire laptop turns off and screen goes black and keyboard turns off. There is no air flow coming out of the right side of the laptop so I think a fan might be broken. If I try to turn it back on after it turns off the first time it will often turn off again a few seconds later. There has not been any pattern of a cause other than me using the computer to watch videos, play games, or simply just talking to people on steam. I am forced to wait about 1 hour just to have the same thing happen shortly after. I have already tried holding f12 on startup but that just turns it off instantly even if I do it in the morning after there has been no use in 24 hours. I want to open it up and check whats wrong but it says that it would void my warranty if I did that which would really *** if I NEEDED it to fix this problem. No matter what I do to try to launch the F12 bios thing everything else tells me to do it also just shuts off... What do I do and is there anyway to fix this?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2016 13:00

Hi,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test (remember that you need to press F12 repetitively, do not hold it). Let us know if you receive any errors. 

Also make sure the system, has the latest Bios version, if not, please update the driver here.

May 27th, 2016 19:00

No matter how fast or how many times I spam f12 my alienware  boots up as if I'm not pressing anything. I have tried this many times over different days with the same results. When I tried updating with the link you left. It would just say that I don't have a supported device. So I used the dell website to update any drives automatically and it updated 2 of them, which didn't help the problem in anyway.

I have opened my computer and I have no clue what some of the things in here are, but what I DO know is that whenever this happens a part gets really hot. I don't know which part, it is directly next to the hard drive and between both of the fans (Which the right fan doesn't work so I'm assuming its because of that)

EDIT: I was able to get to it, but it overheated as soon as I got to it and when I felt it to see how hot it was, IT WASN'T EVEN WARM. Right now I'm really annoyed that I can't use my computer for anything for more than 15 minutes.

No Events found!