Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2015 04:00

Alienware 17 r2 Partitions

Hi,

I have just got my Alienware system with 128GB ssd(OS) and 1TB hdd(Data) and I have found 6 partitions on my ssd and I am wondering why are they for? can someone explain me what is it on those partitions:

DISKPART> list part

Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 System 500 MB 1024 KB

Partition 2 OEM 40 MB 501 MB

Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 541 MB

Partition 4 Recovery 750 MB 669 MB

Partition 5 Primary 109 GB 1419 MB

Partition 6 Recovery 450 MB 111 GB

Partition 7 Recovery 7968 MB 111 GB

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------

Volume 0 D NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy

Volume 1 C System NTFS Partition 109 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 2 ESP FAT32 Partition 500 MB Healthy System

Volume 3 WINRETOOLS NTFS Partition 750 MB Healthy Hidden

Volume 4 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

Volume 5 PBR Image NTFS Partition 7968 MB Healthy Hidden

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 13:00

Hi,

I tried my best to define these for you below. There are several recovery partitions that may have been created when you updated the operating system. Let me know if you have questions.

500MB - Health (System Partition EFI) - is a partition on a data storage device that is used by computers adhering to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). When a computer is powered up and booted, UEFI firmware loads files stored on the ESP to start installed operating systems and various utilities.

40MB - Health (OEM Partition) - The OEM Partition is your recovery partition. This is where the Windows image is stored (this partition only contains the Windows operating system, it does not contain the system drivers and applications).

750MB - Health (Recovery Partition) - Another recovery partition, it probably contains a previous Windows installation.

109,63GB - Health (Boot, Primary Partition) - A boot partition is a partition that contains the Windows operating system files, which are located in the Windows file folder.

450MB - Health (Recovery Partition) - Another recovery partition, it probably contains a previous Windows installation.

7,78GB - Health (Recovery Partition) - This looks like the system recovery image that can be used with the Alien Respawn program. You can use this partition to restore the system to factory settings (this partition contains the operating system, the system drivers and the Alienware applications that came preinstalled in the computer). 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 17th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Click here to view an article from Microsoft for understanding Disk partitions. 

4 Posts

September 18th, 2015 03:00

Thank you, but I was asking for more details for example

what is on partition 1 500mb, what is on OEM etc. are they for apps, drivers? I guess partition 7 8GB is for windows?

And can yountell me where is windows serial number is it on efi partition or bios because I couldnt find info about that?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 21st, 2015 14:00

Hi, 

To better assist you, can you post a screenshot of the the Disk Management window showing all the partitions in your system?

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 02:00

Hi,

Of course, but everything is in polish so I'll translate you:

Disk.jpg

Disk 1 (Primary, 119,12GB)

500MB - Health(Sysem Partition EFI)

40MB - Health(OEM Partition)

750MB - Health(Recovery Partition)

109,63GB - Health(Boot, Primary Partition)

450MB - Health(Recovery Partition)

7,78GB - Health(Recovery Partition)

Thank You

1 Message

April 23rd, 2016 18:00

What happens if I accidentally format the first one 500mb during Windows 7 install?

No Events found!