Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2014 04:00

Alienware 17 with GTX 980M

When is dell going to officially release a vbios and drivers for GTX 980M. Also please let me know if it will be compatible with 3D 120HZ screen. Currently I'm having 770M . Also need some light on the AC adapter if its required to be changed. I found a video below.www.youtube.com/watch

Please let me now, I really want to upgrade to 980M, Alienware should not be lagging behind as Asus, MSI, Clevo has already upgraded their products or atleast release some documentation with drivers, bious and compatibility chart.

• 

2.7K Posts

November 21st, 2014 09:00

The problem is that we haven’t validated those video cards for laptops yet, that’s why you will not find Vbios or drivers on our website. 

5 Posts

December 10th, 2014 23:00

So when GTX980m can be validated? I got one from ebay and it cannot be used probably because of no offcial Vbios for this card.

16 Posts

January 10th, 2015 03:00

Hello again,

Now Alienware unveiled 980M gpu in their laptop ranges. Please click below: 

So, can we upgrade to 980M now, we expect some kind of instructions from Dell.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2015 20:00

i found that. yep,we are hopubg that we can upgrade our laptop to GTX980m soon.

901 Posts

January 11th, 2015 23:00

Hi Boyuanliu.

I don't think you understand, you can never upgrade to the "New" alienware 17 980M.

The new machines are BGA CPU and GPU, which means they can NEVER be upgraded to something better. The CPUs in these things are designed to be efficient, not extremely powerful.

The CPU AND GPU's are soldered to the motherboard, they are NOT MXM GPU's (individual, separate GPU's).

Therefor you cannot "buy" them separately and you cannot transplant them.

They are now a flashy ultrabooks with an inflated pricetag - Sort of like apple.

You are witnessing the beginning of the end of Alienware

5 Posts

January 12th, 2015 01:00

OK,probably i did not make myself clear enough.

i currently got m17xr4 with gtx 680m on it. and yes, i have gtx 980m and i can install on my machine without any problem. But, since Dell does not have appropriate vbios or bios, my system cannot post with gtx 980m. thats why i am waiting if there is any dell official vbios available for us.

16 Posts

Thats great, you can see the link below, perhaps it will help you to post.

forum.techinferno.com/.../8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-40.html

5 Posts

Thanks. But I tried that, it seems that since my inappropriate adjustment on my system, those methods are not fit for me. Currently I am still trying to make my laptop works on GTX980m. Maybe the best way is waiting for dell's official support on AW17, M17XR4 or other models. 

901 Posts

January 12th, 2015 03:00

Ok - I get you now.

I can't access notebookreview forum right now, not sure if it's down or it's just me, but that's the first place I would look for something to help your issues, it may be that you can use another VBIOS like clevo or MSI - But check there first, if you can find him look for someone named Mr Fox, he's the guru when it comes to overclocking and modes on an alienware laptop

1.2K Posts

January 12th, 2015 12:00

problem is the chances of  a new card being validated on an  older system is Nil and Nil ,  history has proven   itself that when alienware releases a new system with a new card or cpu etc.. it pretty much forgets the older systems.

Now This Dosent mean it cant be made to  work   but newer video on older system probably wont be validated(by dell)  .. which with the way they say everything is integrated on new systems is a shame cause it makes older generation systems more enticing

1 Message

May 1st, 2015 12:00

Hi ALIENWARE-MILENA, I have an ALIENWARE M17x R4 and was thinking of upgrading it's GPU to the GTX 980M. Will the 980M be compatible with my system, if so, is there any video tutorial or guidelines on how to install the GPU online? Thanks!

May 13th, 2015 06:00

is it released now? how about the Vbios?

2 Posts

May 13th, 2015 13:00

I have exactly the same question. My GTX 675m blew up and been looking for days for

a good card trying to decide on 680,780,880,980 have a M17R4 2.7MHz i7, running dual Crucial MX200 ssd hard drives (using much less power then SATA's so dont mind dumping more power into GPU) but cant seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

No Events found!